Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-01-2011, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
319 will not accept a 66 bobbin or at least mine will not. It is a larger and flatter bobbin. I got 20 bobbins for 6.00 on ebay. And yes you change out the fashion disk.
Glenn
I know I can change out the fashion disk but what about the stack?[/quote]

That is a good question Miriam. I will be waiting for the reply too.

Nancy
Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Yeah my wife and daughter are handling all of the logistics and we are doing this as a family project! I could not do it without them and honestly I am so ready to do something constructive again. Heck I am ready to take on more machines for people now! I am suspecting that in a month or less I will be finished with the back log if I do not have any issues health wise. As long as I have my family and all of their help I think I will not have to worry about much.

Billy
Billy that is great, but are you able to be around all the chemicals again without hurting yourself? Your wife and daughter sound like great people! I love it when families pull together to support each other - makes life so much more worthwhile!

Nancy
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Ok I just did some research, which I should have done before I bought the 319 so I knew what I was getting into. According to what I just learned the 319 uses 206x13 needles, which are suppose to be still available and the same bobbins that are sold for the Riccar Rotary?

Candace where do you buy the needles, since these are smaller than a 15x1?

Also, where do you get the bobbins and what are they?

My smg called them L bobbins, and would have to order them. He sent a Pfaff one home for me to try, no luck, but works in the Pfaff I acquired since then. I have seen them on most of the online sites, as well as the needles. I ordered the needles from sewclassic. The eye of the needle is right at the tip.
You know I was thinking about the 319w last night. I was actually surprised yesterday when Miriam asked what size bobbin the 319 takes. I know Miriam is very knowledgable about the machines. Since I saw some class 66's in the stuff Cathy had for this machine I never thought to look in the case! Miriam asking the question should have been my first clue that something was amiss! DUH!!!!!

I also never even dreamed the 319w would take a different needle than 90% of the other Singers! Who'd of thought???? Now I am wondering why, when the majority of Singers all take a 15x1, Singer decided to make the 319w different? I have Davis, New Home, Wheeler and Wilson, Wilcox and Gibbs, and the Singer 9W (which is basically a Wheeler and Wilson) that I had to buy special needles for, but why did Singer decide to do that with one of their machines? Maybe that is one of the reasons the 319w was a bust after only being in production for 3 years! Are there any other Singers that take a special needle? All of my other Singers take a normal 15x1, even the very old Fiddlebase VS2 from 1889. Even my Rocketeer from 1961 takes a normal 15x1 needle and a class 66 bobbin.

No wonder I put my foot in my mouth yesterday when I told Miriam a class 66!!!!! All my other Singers either take a class 66 or class 15 bobbin and a normal needle!!! Why was the 319w designed so differently?

Nancy
Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 AM

[quote=jlhmnj][quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Originally Posted by ndnchf
I looked all over the Franklin for a serial number and almost gave up. But then I slid open the shuttle access plate and there was the serial number. Someone mentioned that Davis made machines have a letter D preceding the number. This one does not have the letter D, so I'm still not sure who made it. Looking through the original manual gives no clue either.
Most of the information I could find on Sears machines is here:
http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Sort of confusing, though
Jon

Wow Jon, this is interesting! According to this article the Franklin was made for Sears by Domestic in 1911, which is not what I have read before! Well, we know for sure the Franklin that looks like a 27/127 clone with the elaborate decals was not made by White! The White Franklins are newer and don't have the decals or shape of a 27/127!

So it appears those Franklins are both made by Domestic?

Nancy

That's my understanding of it. But then again, the old saying "I only know what I read in the newspaper" comes to mind.
Jon
Yep, we believe what we read and now I am changing my view! I would be willing to bet the ISMACS site is correct! The Franklin that has the elaborate decals is made by Domestic! I have gone back and done more research to find my original source who says Davis made those machines, but can't find it. I trust the ISMACS site. So we all agree those fancy Franklins were made about 1911 or 1912, they are NOT made by White, and I'd bet the farm that they are made by Domestic! I love learning about these machines, even though, the history gets a little muddled because the old companies changed hands so much, which means different sources have a different take. We all have to agree which site to trust and I go with ISMACS everytime!

Nancy
Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I looked all over the Franklin for a serial number and almost gave up. But then I slid open the shuttle access plate and there was the serial number. Someone mentioned that Davis made machines have a letter D preceding the number. This one does not have the letter D, so I'm still not sure who made it. Looking through the original manual gives no clue either.
Most of the information I could find on Sears machines is here:
http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Sort of confusing, though
Jon

Wow Jon, this is interesting! According to this article the Franklin was made for Sears by Domestic in 1911, which is not what I have read before! Well, we know for sure the Franklin that looks like a 27/127 clone with the elaborate decals was not made by White! The White Franklins are newer and don't have the decals or shape of a 27/127!

So it appears those Franklins are both made by Domestic?

Nancy
The ISMACS site is very interesting. That's where I read about them being made by Domestic, but I'm still not sure. Nevertheless, its a nice machine and I think it will clean up nicely. But it will have to wait a while, as I have quite a few other machines ahead of it to do.
Here's an excellent reference for Domestic / Davis VF / Demorrest machines:http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/dome...lsnolinks.html
Seems to me like a collection based on Sears machines or research on this subject would be really interesting and useful. I always did like shopping at Sears compared to the other box stores.
Jon
Jon
Old 11-01-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by jan on 446
I have a 503A on layaway from a great Sew & Vac shop. Got a manual online but it says nothing about what bobbins it takes. From the picture in the manual, it is metal and has 4 holes.
Can you tell me what number it takes?
Anything else I should know? I will find out Thurs. if there are any cams with it. Lots of feet though! Are the cams easily available?
Thanks,
Jan on 446
Jan the 503a does take a class 66 bobbin, but I'd get the vintage ones if you can! It takes a normal 15x1 needle, available everywhere! That machine has to have a cam to sew. I got my cams on E-bay. Cathy, who runs our TOGA's here in Northern California, has tons of those top hat cams. I have all the cams from 0 to 21. I don't know of any others past 21? You can usually get the basic box of cams and attachments on E-bay pretty reasonably. The 403 cams/attachments fit the 503! I love my Rocketeer! Welcome to the club!

Nancy
Old 11-01-2011, 05:13 AM

Here's an excellent reference for Domestic / Davis VF / Demorrest machines:http://www.kelsew.info/Domestic/dome...lsnolinks.html
Seems to me like a collection based on Sears machines or research on this subject would be really interesting and useful. I always did like shopping at Sears compared to the other box stores.
Jon
Wow, I love this site! I put it in my favorites in case I ever find a Domestic to add to my collection!

Thank you!

Nancy
Old 11-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by jan on 446
I have a 503A on layaway from a great Sew & Vac shop. Got a manual online but it says nothing about what bobbins it takes. From the picture in the manual, it is metal and has 4 holes.
Can you tell me what number it takes?
Anything else I should know? I will find out Thurs. if there are any cams with it. Lots of feet though! Are the cams easily available?
Thanks,
Jan on 446
Jan the 503a does take a class 66 bobbin, but I'd get the vintage ones if you can! It takes a normal 15x1 needle, available everywhere! That machine has to have a cam to sew. I got my cams on E-bay. Cathy, who runs our TOGA's here in Northern California, has tons of those top hat cams. I have all the cams from 0 to 21. I don't know of any others past 21? You can usually get the basic box of cams and attachments on E-bay pretty reasonably. The 403 cams/attachments fit the 503! I love my Rocketeer! Welcome to the club!

Nancy
The class 66 bobbins I got from Sew-classic work very well - the ones from WM make good earrings after they break apart... I'm thinking I have a #22 disk for my 403. It is the one machine I own that I won't sell.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Heehee They're addictive. Even my husband thinks that HC is UGLY. I find it amusing. It works! And can be painted over.

Cathy has it all! You are lucky that you live close enough to her. I enjoyed my two times spent at her house just looking in awe at her collection, even the junk stuff.

Have fun with your 319! Looking forward to seeing your first project.
Monica, I took my hubby with me yesterday and he was in awe of her collection and stuff! Cathy is so organized it amazes me. For all the parts, machines, stuff in her garage to be put away so neat is just amazing, especially when I look at the mess in hubby's garage! You ask Cathy for a part and she knows exactly where to look in all her boxes, lockers, shelves! Annamaria (Grayhare) was there too getting a machine looked at by Cathy! What a resource we have and she is only about 40 minutes from me!

Nancy
Old 11-01-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by tropit
:-D Oh, geez...we're pathetic, aren't we? LOL! I'm guessing from your avitar that you also rescue horses like I do. ("Jeannie" and "Mr. Brown"...straight of the track and destined for the knackers.)

Well, as beautiful as your machine is, I think I would rather rescue a cast off cab, or treadle. I just want to "mother" it, give it some TLC and bring it in from the cold. Maybe I can get mine to look as nice as yours.

~ Cindy
No I don't rescue horses - my hubby would kill me if I did! I had 10 horses, now down to 8 with two living at the neighbors retired. They are both 29. I never sell a horse! Once they come here, they stay the rest of their lives! They are like potato chips or Chihuahua's, you can't have only one! I inherited two from my Dad, two from daughter's who kinda dumped them here! I won't take anymore, cutting back by attrition! I have had my retired show horse his whole life, he is one of the 29 year olds. My youngest was born here, she is 5 - last one! She will probably outlive me!

Nancy