Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing your rulers >

Storing your rulers

Storing your rulers

Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
ns

My husband made me a wooden tray on the table saw to stack them in. So they are stored on my sewing counter in their tray. Keeps them neat and handy.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Default Storing your rulers

Originally Posted by ns View Post
My husband made me a wooden tray on the table saw to stack them in. So they are stored on my sewing counter in their tray. Keeps them neat and handy.
My sewing area is just a little nook of a room. BUT - it does have a closet. I have a coat hook on the side walls of the closet. Each plastic ruler has a hole in it, so I put all the holes of 3 or 4 rulers on a ring like you would have in a notebook. Then I hang the ring on one of the coat hooks. It's not the best, but it does keep them put away.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:31 AM

I have one of the wooded ones with the slots, my cutting table is an portable kitchen island and I set the holder on the bottom shelf and it works well for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:47 AM

I hang some on an "S" hook and some in an old bread slicer guide.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 AM

Honestly, mine are on nails on the wall; grouped into sizes. Not alot of money and wanted them up where I could find them and I'm impatient. I did see a ruler holder (not sure where) that reminded me of those old time dish towel holders; the metal ones that had 2 rods sticking out to hold towels. It looked pretty good as well. But for now mine will do. I know others have used a dish drainer and pegboards to hold them.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 AM

I went on ebay and found a cheap wire record holder from the 70's. It holds 60 record (or Rulers) I love it. It cost me around ten dollars including shipping.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
Go to "www.ihaveanotion.blogspot.com and look down the page. Kelly does an article about a "hanging wooden ruler holder" that Clyde makes. She has a link to his site. I have one and have one on the way. I sent one to Kelly and she loved it. It is high quality. It has 14 slots (I have about 25 rulers on mine) and 7 hooks underneath to hang scissors or anything else and it has a magnetic door that has a cubby hole that I put my thread and other things in it. Clyde makes each one by hand. He uses wooden dowels, not staples or nails or screws. He uses real wood. Maple, oak, mahogany, etc. If you read her blog, she has pictures and everything. I bought one from Clyde and fell in love with it and talked to him and he had been trying to get quilters to see them. So, as a present, I sent one to Kelly. She loved it so much that she blogged all about it. And she is very picky about what she shares on her blog site. They are about $40.00 (very reasonable). You can buy cheaply made ones for that. So check it out. You'll be amazed.
So glad that Kelly put it on her blog. I could only put the recommendation here. I don't have a blog. I love mine. I also love the narrow one I got from a guy on Etsy. It fits between the closet doors. . But honestly I am looking at making a hanging one to hang on the closet door. Trying to use them as a design wall didn't work and they are wasted space to me. Lol
Old 11-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Hi Nettie,

I bought the IKEA Bygel (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50072645/) and fixed them to a bookshelf (under). With the accompanying S-hooks I can hang every ruler above my workdesk. And my workdesk is free of clutter.

Have fun quilting!
Anymart
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
I picked up one of those wire record holders from the 60's at a garage sale and thats what I have my larger ones in. I picked up a wire letter holder at an estate sale and put the small ones in it. The letter holder is a wire spiral on little short legs and I think my older sisters used to call the other thing a record worm or a caterpillar.
These can occ be found at a thrift store. They work great. (I like it better than my wooden one.)
Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM

I have a big wood paneled wall in my sewing area and hang my rulers on small nails - All very neat and tidy!