Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about rulers/templates/and squaring up rulers >

Questions about rulers/templates/and squaring up rulers

Questions about rulers/templates/and squaring up rulers

Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Banned

Default Questions about rulers/templates/and squaring up rulers

I have a few questions about the rulers you use; the templates you use and rulers you use to square up your blocks.

1) Which brand do you prefer and why

2) What size rulers do you use the most

3) What feature do you like best about the ones you use

4) What would you like to see on your rulers to make them better and more functional

5) How much would you pay for one that 'did it all"

Thanks for your input.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

I like Omnigrid rulers the best. I like the clear narrow lines on them. I have quite a few sizes but I'll list the ones I use the most: 3 inch X 18 inch, 6 inch square, 15 inch square.
I also like the look of the new cutting system where the rotary cutter rides in a rail along the ruler's edge. I haven't tried them but if I didn't have so much invested in Omnigrids, they would be my next choice.
I don't think it's possible for one ruler to do it all. If it was possible, I don't think I'd buy it because I have enough toys.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 PM

The one I use most is my 6'x12'. At least that's the first one that I've worn the markings off of. The templates I use the most are my Marti Michelle ones. LOVE those engineered corners--they make the pieces fit perfectly. But lately I've been using my newest ruler or cutting aid called "Cut-A-Round" for making 1/2 circle double sided Christmas tree
napkins.
As far as the cost, uh....? I don't know. If I want it and have the money for it, I buy it. If I don't have the money I plan it into next month's budget.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 PM

i use no templates, my fave ruler is the 3 x 18... i have a 6 x 24 and do use it, but the smaller one is much better to handle so i used it when i can. but for squaring up, i use the exact size so i have 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, and 6.5... i buy these specific types whenever i find them on sale...i carry a list so i know what i already have. i don't use specialty rulers much...the strip ruler by June Tailor should have earned her some type of award...i use it ALL the time, you can cut any strip in half inch increments AND if you fold the fabric in quarters diagonally, then put it under the strip slits... you have super fast bias strips...love this ruler...
Old 01-10-2012, 02:14 AM

I like Omnigrid rulers - most of them anyway. Mine have yellow or green highlights on the inch lines. I have one 4.5" square I don't like to use often because it has too many lines. It's got lines at the 1/8 increments, not just short lines at the cross lines, but full lines across both directions. It's distracting and I have to mark my spot with a post-it so I don't use the wrong line.

I like the 6x24 for cutting borders, but don't like it for general use because it's too big. I use my 6x14 or 4x14 most often. I use the 9.5" and 12.5" rulers for squaring up. I love my June Tailor Shape Cut ruler and use it frequently for strips. I like having different angle lines on them (just in case).

I doubt I could ever find one ruler that does it all that I'd be happy with. I like to use the smallest ruler possible for the project I'm working on.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:10 AM

1) I would choose Omnigrid for longevity and the markings show on dark fabrics. Most of mine are EZ for price considerations and I still have my original 6X 24 Dritz. Never too many! LOL
2) I use the 6 1/2 X 24 1/2 EZ the most followed by my Omnjgrid 12 1/2 square and my EZ 6 1/2 square
3)The extra 1/2 inch as otherwise I end up without my seam allowance! The markings are easy to read and I enjoy the diagonal centering help on the Omnigrid 12 1/2 inch square.
4)Perhaps some sort of texture on one side to help keep them from sliding while using the cutter.
5) Hopefully no more than they are already. I know you need a profit, but if the prices sky rocket then they won't sell
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 AM

I have 2 Omnigrids which I like very much, a 4"x14" and a 9" square.
I think it is important to stay within a brand when it comes to rulers. You may find variance from company to company.
Don't think there's a ruler that does it all - I prefer using the smallest ruler possible for the job.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 AM

I have many Omnigrids and like them alot. However, a couple of years ago I recieved a 8.5 creative grids ruler that I love! I'm slowly replacing all of my rulers as they wear for Creative Grids ones. They are extremely easy to read and have this non slip back. My 89 year old MIL loves them also.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 AM

I love both each one has its own likes and dislikes.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

i have a fluorescent 6 1/2 x 24 that is my very favorite. the laser cut lines are very easy to see and give accurate cutting. i wish all of my rulers were the same. i've bought others with painted lines and don't like those... harder to line them up.