Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about rulers/templates/and squaring up rulers >

Questions about rulers/templates/and squaring up rulers

Questions about rulers/templates/and squaring up rulers

Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 AM

I prefer the Olfa, they have a little frosting on them which helps me see better. Fav ruler - 6x12, 3x18 12.5x12.5 in that order. the sqaures - 6.5x6.5, 9.5x9.5 in that order. I like the 1/8th inch increments best, the yellow lines the very least, as they even seem to give me a headache - too much eye for the to handle. The Fiskers 6x24 is tricky - one side has a half inch unmarked edge. Ruined lots of fabric with that. Templates - Hexagon, then diamond.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:48 AM

My all time favorite is Quilt In A Days triangle square up ruler. You square up HSTs with one cut. It is revolutionary and everyone should have one.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
i use no templates, my fave ruler is the 3 x 18... i have a 6 x 24 and do use it, but the smaller one is much better to handle so i used it when i can. but for squaring up, i use the exact size so i have 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, and 6.5... i buy these specific types whenever i find them on sale...i carry a list so i know what i already have. i don't use specialty rulers much...the strip ruler by June Tailor should have earned her some type of award...i use it ALL the time, you can cut any strip in half inch increments AND if you fold the fabric in quarters diagonally, then put it under the strip slits... you have super fast bias strips...love this ruler...
Tell me more about folding the fabric in quarters to cut bias strips .. Maybe a picture? Thanks..
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM

I really like the creative grids rulers. I can see the fabric well and they stay put. I really like the 8.5x24 ruler-very versatile size.
I have also found I absolutely hate the omni grid rulers. I really can't see well with the yellow/green highlighting.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

I have more rulers then fabric. LOL I buy them all sizes all brands. I like Creative Grids and Olfa frosted. The new Fiskars rulers are nice too. I have the new rotary sharpening rulers and they are nice. I use the June Taylor Shape Cut ruler to square up my blocks. It works better for me then any square up ruler. I haven't found one brand that has everything I like on one ruler.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:11 PM

My favorite brand is Creative Grids. They don't slide. They are the easiest to read and they aren't yellow. Yellow is very difficult for me to see so I boycott Omnigrid.

My favorite two are the 6 ½ by 24 ½ and the 2 ½ by 6 ½. I need another of the smaller one so I can keep it downstairs. It was a gift. The other was also but I think it is around $24
Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM

I must look for the Creative Grids. No slip is my goal. As for the differences in the measurement of 1 inch. As a rule when I am working on a project I test the rulers I am using to make sure they measure up with each other. I have also found that I need to prewash or super steam all my fabric and press it before cutting so I don't get any surprise shrinkage when pressing --used to blame the rulers I was using then discovered the measureme3nts were the same it was shrinking in the process no matter how accurately I was cutting the pieces.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 PM

I love the Creative Grids rulers and am replacing my older Olfa rulers with them. The half inch added to one side is very useful, they really are non-skid, and I like the fine line markings.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:48 PM

My question back to you is: what do you have at present? Then I'd ask you to look at OnmiGrid and Creative Grids rulers and see which one works best for you with your vision. I like both. Creative Girds doesn't need the sandpaper dots.

Must haves:
[1] that is 24" long, preferably 6" wide. I have trouble with the ones that are 6 1/2" or 8 1/2" wide as it is too easy to turn the ruler around and cut the wrong size.
[2] a 12" x 6" or 8: ruler.
-- Both of these rules would definitely have lines marking 30 degrees, 45 degrees, and 60 degrees.

Since I try to only buy rulers when I have a discount coupon from a LQS or other fabric store, I'd suggest that you do likewise and buy as you need and as you have coupons. I have also been given rulers by friends who found they had duplicates or triplicates. One friend found some at an estate sale in great condition.

My other favorite ruler is the Bias Square-up Ruler from Martingale/That Patchwork Place. I have the 8" one and use it a lot.

ali
Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 PM

My two favorite - 4 x 6 and 6 x 24. Although everytime to I go the store I find another ruler I need. Just bought a diamond ruler with the cutting slots inside. Sure looked like something I should have!