Spelling

Old 12-16-2011, 04:00 AM

Red face raedar63

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience before. Your post is perfectly legible and that's all that matters. All I can say is Wow, they must have been picky!

Incidentally, I have corrected at least 2 typos of my own (oops, there goes another one) in this short message. My fingers aren't as obedient as I'd like them to be!

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
How do you use the spell checker with this board? I often think of not posting because of my spelling and grammar issues. I have had to leave other sites because of hurtful things said about my grammar / punctuation. As someone mentioned above there may be several reasons why a person has difficulty. I know for some it may be a nails on a chalk board thing to see poor spelling and grammer but seriously I think for the most part people do the best they can.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:26 AM

This is a friendly bunch. If you don't understand something, just ask.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 AM

The last time that I know that I posted a message that had typos, it was as a result of my computer locking up and I wasn't even trying to leave the message or post a reply. I got the spin icon and had to shut down. When I came back on, there was the message with my typos. It was past the time for editing. I was stuck with a BAD message and it is still being viewed; it bothers me. I hate when I know I have a typo. "Rushing or tired" causes many of my mistakes--then my brain often reverses words on me (my for by, for example). So I try, but I do mess up.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:44 AM
Banned

My impression is that folks don't proofread their comments before posting them nor edit after they're up.
I have younger friends who were not taught grammar and spelling in school as we olders gals were - which also may account for it.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Banned

Ditto
I was just about to write that this is how I check when I'm uncertain of spelling.
When my computer was cleaned up recently the tech eliminated the toolbar - I had him come and put it back, not only for spelling but it's how I look for things when I don't have full info.

Originally Posted by Becky Mc View Post
I have a Google tool bar and it has spell check on it so when I am on a site and want to check my spelling I click on that. I am a very bad speller and use it allot. You might what to try that. But for the most part others misspelled words don't bother me. So like I said you can get the Google tool bar and have spell check for this board.

Last edited by gollytwo; 12-16-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:12 AM

I was just confused about what the post was trying to communicate. If the subject matter is clear, I don't care how youspell the words.
Originally Posted by valsma View Post
If I can figure out what they are attempting to communicate, I don't worry about it. If this was the business world then i'd worry, it's not so why?

I don't know if you were being judgemental or just confused by what was being said. But I like what they said about asking the person for clarification.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:19 AM

I get so much enjoyment out of this board....wish the critics would look for for the enjoyment also!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:48 AM

Spelling does not bother me I love this board and have learned a lot so Please keep on posting.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Please also remember that to some of our members, English is a second or third language. Some may actually use a translator to post. It can be difficult for some to easily communicate. Sometimes I am not at my best either, so I try to be patient and read for content.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:43 AM

I have created some HILARIOUS bloopers when posting/writing in a hurry. I've done a few double takes and thought "DID I WRITE THAT MESS???"....LOL Lots WORSE things in life to fret over...

I worked in a cancer center for a few years as a patient advocate. You learn quickly what's BAD...and what's just a tiny blip on the screen of life.

♥♥