Glad this holiday is over

Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
yep..I was the same way...but then on Friday I got the news that the state of OK was fining me for all of my online sales. They claim that I neglected to file EVERY sale from 08-&09 as EXCEPT from OK tax, so now I have to not only pay those taxes, but a 10% fine and 15% something else. I have 30 days to come up with $4,500.00 and I have not worked in over a year....pretty much has sent me into a deep depression and even deeper hatred of this state and its love of taxes!
Oh man that sucks@! Can you dispute it, or do an amended return to show the sales as exempt? (If I read your post correctly) Perhaps check with a tax attorney?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 AM
Swap Hosts

I am not. I loved every minute of it. As always, there is a rush to get things done, but it was wonderful.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:11 AM

I am the family Grinch... I hate the holiday, the cooking, cleaning, and dealing with family. My children live 500 miles away, don't see them as they have their own families and in-laws, with their own rituals....DGD's, both grown, do not have the word "Thank you" in their vocabularies so they no longer receive Christmas or birthday gifts. Sorry, if you cannot say thank you, you don't need anything from me. I sent a huge box of family-passed-down Dr Seuss books, which I cherish and want kept in the family.... I had to call to make sure they received them....
DH's family comes to our house on Xmas Eve for food and gift exchange. Guess who gets to do the bulk of the cooking? Me...Cleaning? Me. Usually also decorating the house. At least this year the DH put up the tree.
DH"s son and DIL chose to participate only in the gift-receiving, not the gift-giving. They brag in their annual Xmas letter about paying off 20K in personal debt in a year, yet gave no gifts to anyone....They want to use their money to pay off the few thousand dollars of debt they have left rather than give anyone anything..and we are talking only 5 people to buy for...They had NO PROBLEM opening many gifts from family and had no embarrassment over not giving anything...GRRRRRRRRRR. Ya know, even cookies, or a potholder,,anything.....just to be acknowledged.....maybe that is just me....Maybe I am just a b&%ch...If they were financially strapped, I could understand......
Sorry.....I just HAD to get that off my chest....I hate Christmas....Glad it is over.....Bah Humbug
Old 12-27-2011, 05:24 AM

I too am happy its over, but for different reasons, illnesses at home, brief but unenjoyable, then at midnight Christmas day someone set a barn behind the house just across the street from me, that house & 2 others caught fire. it was told that it was the biggest fire in this town in 3 years. Everyone got out & was okay, even the pets were in good shape, but 2 families lost their homes, the worst is a young single mother of 2 little kids. My house was spared, but it the wind had shifted it'd been a different story for me. This holiday was tough. I'm happy its passed.
Cathy S/Willowwind
Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 AM

I treasure every Christmas season. Yes, I'm disappointed to see the decorations etc. out so early, (I saw Valantine items out 2 weeks ago!), and yes our family has changed, but the thoughts of Christmas's past bring me joy. We do less in decorating, and bake less, but we try to keep some traditions in place.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
i am secretly glad that my family lives out of town. I meet my Mom between our 2 cities for the day and lunch. we visit and that's enough. I don't miss the hustle and bustle. Gift cards suffice for all or I make this snack that everyone likes and it is becoming a tradition. I enjoyed my christmas by staying in my jammies and quilting all day!!
I am with you on that.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
yep..I was the same way...but then on Friday I got the news that the state of OK was fining me for all of my online sales. They claim that I neglected to file EVERY sale from 08-&09 as EXCEPT from OK tax, so now I have to not only pay those taxes, but a 10% fine and 15% something else. I have 30 days to come up with $4,500.00 and I have not worked in over a year....pretty much has sent me into a deep depression and even deeper hatred of this state and its love of taxes!
You can ask for a Compromise Settlement depending on your personal finances. So call and set up an appt to go in person with all your bank acct stmts, etc...
Old 12-27-2011, 05:38 AM

So glad I am not the only one who is glad it is nearly over. Just lunch to do for 6 tomorrow and then thats it.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 AM

I, too, am glad the holidays are over. The last 3 mos. have been very busy for me. Lots of traveling, some for fun and some to visit family. Cooked 3 majors meals (T'giving twice and Christmas). Lots of family visiting with some adjustment issues as different worlds collide. Add in one adult family member and spouse who are in stress right now which affects everything/everyone. And my husband was traveling until right before Christmas. Things have returned to normal(ish) now and will improve more when the grandson returns to school next week. All I want to do is close the door of my sewing area and ignore the world... Is it Monday yet? Just think of how beautiful my future creations will be as my frustrations drop away! Cannot wait!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 AM

Due to some family issues, it was the first year since my husband and I have been married that we have not spent some part of Christmas with those we love. Two years ago I lost my 59-year-old brother three days after Christmas, so that has made the holiday sad these past two years. But, tomorrow DH and I are traveling to see my son and spend the New Year's weekend watching football games with him, which will brighten my spirits.