Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Goodwill find update! >

Goodwill find update!

Goodwill find update!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 AM

If hubby balks, just tell him what full-priced fabric is running these days at the LQS. That will shut him up

I think that the reason some thrift stores are better than others is probably due to the sorters and volunteers who clean and price the stuff. When I volunteered for a local thrift shop, we all got first dibs on the stuff that came in, so it was picked through before it even hit the store. If you have a local thrift store that never has machines or fabrics or notions, chances are a quilter is working behind the scenes, haha!

Enjoy that fabric find my dear, you hit the MOTHERLODE!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:46 AM

Don't you just love a GOOD day shopping it the good will. and Just think of all the help you can send to your quilt borad friends if we are working a postage stamp quilt or a scrap. this is how I look at me great finds like this and it makes my gave-away quilts that much easer to say goodby to.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Congratulations! I don't want to be a party pooper but make sure to quarantine it until you get it all washed and dryed in case of guests.
Good Thought!
Old 01-07-2012, 06:56 AM

Wow...We have more than enough needy people in the US that aren't getting the help they need...why send it to another country?! If we could help everyone here FIRST I'd be ok with that.

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I have seriously got to move...we don't even have a Goodwill..and the thrift stores we do have...well..NO fabric..they ship it all to Mexico Missions! No kidding...they brag about that...
Old 01-07-2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
Why would you tell him???? Him being out of town is the perfect time to get it integrated into your stash and he will never be the wiser! It's like when I used to have a shoe obsession: I would purchase the shoes, leave the box at the store, put the bag into my trunk, wait until nobody was home and then bring the shoes in and put them in my closet. Nobody knew that they were new shoes except for me!!! Fortunately, I don't have to hide my purchases from my current better half!!
When I see a post like this I feel so blessed that in 52 years of marriage I have never been put in that position. I know there have been times when I wantonly spent money on something I had to have at the moment (even though I knew I shouldn't) but I have never been disenfranchised in my relationship.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:09 AM

Just to make it clear my husband knows what I buy and never has a problem. He has his hobbies (model trains and trike/bike riding). We each have funds available to support our needs. This is just so much at one time that it is a bit overwhelming. I think what I am going to do is to keep checking and buying. Then I will keep cuts of each and see if someone from the board that is close to me would like to buy some. I would like to be greedy but it just too much for one person.
By the way my husband is my go to person for color choices. He can pick colors that go together and make a quilt "sing".
Old 01-07-2012, 07:16 AM

It's all in the presentation. When you tell him be sure and point out the money you saved! You bought fabric for $1.99 rather than the $10-$12 per yard at the fabric store. 170 yds at $2 per yard equals $340, at $10 per yard it equals $1700! So, instead of talking about how much you've spent, tell him that you made money. If you take the $340 that you did spend from the $1700 that it COULD have cost you are left with a whopping savings of $660!!!! So, not only did you get the fabric for free, you MADE money!
Saving is when you save less than half of the original cost---if you "save" more than 50% then you've actually MADE MONEY!!!!!! YEA FOR YOU!!!! Now, if you get him to accept this rationalization.................lol
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 AM

Raptureready beat me to the punch line. I buy what I want when I see it but it is always on sale. I just tell hubby how much I saved. He has his tracters and such so he never complains.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

At that price how can you leave it there? You can lots of sewing and not feel guilty at that price.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 AM

I go to a Good Will store in my area all the time. I don't find much fabric, only on occasion. The biggest haul I ever made was at St. Vincents Retail Thrift Store. I also go to the Salvation Army, especially if I need white. They must have gotten every sheet manufactured from someplace. They are crib size and youth bed size, many never used. Congratulations on your find. Would love to find your Good Will store. I don't need any more fabric, but if I see it and like it, I buy it. Compulsive, no?