Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
large tote or bag with two long sticks for handles >

large tote or bag with two long sticks for handles

large tote or bag with two long sticks for handles

Old 09-07-2010, 08:01 PM

looks very much like the bag I make.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:34 AM

I just went in to her blog and bought the pattern for 8.00+2.00 shp = 10.00 (She donates 2.00 to charity).
Old 09-08-2010, 03:56 AM

Yeah Deb ...maybe we can work on them together!!...and post pictures!!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Scissorqueen, did you know that you can also use the back of a spoon or any piece of rounded metal and burnish the wooden dowels to make them less splintery, harder and shiny? Just apply pressure and rub the rounded part of the spoon back and forth on the dowel and turn it now and then. The wood will look polished and become very hard. What you're actually doing is compressing the grain. You can stain it first then do it if you want another color.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom
I've had this bookmarked for quite a while but never made it. It sounds like the bag you're describing.

http://www.quilt.com/MiscQuilting/ToteDirections.html
Old 09-08-2010, 07:37 AM

Thanks...have it saved. Grdaughter expecting to move from parents home & she has a ton of "stuff". Think she could use a couple big totes for hair/makeup etc & another for electronic stuff.

Originally Posted by bakermom
I've had this bookmarked for quite a while but never made it. It sounds like the bag you're describing.

http://www.quilt.com/MiscQuilting/ToteDirections.html
Old 09-08-2010, 07:52 AM

Thanks for posting the instructions!!! I ordered a pattern just the other day :-( I am looking forward to receiving it and make one! Maybe I can combine the patterns.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Scissorqueen, did you know that you can also use the back of a spoon or any piece of rounded metal and burnish the wooden dowels to make them less splintery, harder and shiny? Just apply pressure and rub the rounded part of the spoon back and forth on the dowel and turn it now and then. The wood will look polished and become very hard. What you're actually doing is compressing the grain. You can stain it first then do it if you want another color.
That would help a lot. After I painted the first ones I decided that I really, really like the pop of color I can give the bags. The bag I'm going to make this weekend is a black and sort of golden tan stripe and it's going to get red handles.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 PM

I have the instructions but they are hard to figure out how to do the dowel handle holder. And the bottom and sides are not working out. but it could be me. I cut as it said but...
It says 1.5 yds quilted material, i pkg 7/8"(number PC706) Quilt binding to match, 3 pkgs of 1/2" (numbers 206) 1 36" wooden dowel, Template for handle cut-out, Cut front and back out at 19.5" x 18", cut 4 pockets at 19.5" x 12.5. It says to cut a 7" x 44" for the joining strip. But it is too short to do the bottom and both sides. (I need to see one) Basically bias tape edges on top where you cut out your half circle template for handles front and back. then bias tape all 4 pockets on top only. use the narrow bias here. You also have 43" long strip by 2" for the dowels to attach to the bag. I have not figured out how to do that yet.
Then You attach the pockets to the front and back. So you have them inside and outside of your front and back. then you use the joiner and join with the wide bias tape. Insert the dowel somehow and sew up the ends so they do not come out. Hope this helps some. If you want I can scan the 3 pages to you. I am Alamoaa at [email protected] As you have to cut these out just so to get all the pieces out of the fabric.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:27 AM

This is the style of tote I was looking for!

Thanks so much for asking the question as all I could come up with was "large tote"!!