Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 AM

Mizkaki,

OK I'll eye ball that when I get it all back together. Not saying I'm going to do anything but I'm thinkin on it.

Any idea of where I could get an OEM type needle for reference since I broke my only one?

Joe
Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 AM

I will look at my stock and see what I have.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Mizkaki,

OK I'll eye ball that when I get it all back together. Not saying I'm going to do anything but I'm thinkin on it.

Any idea of where I could get an OEM type needle for reference since I broke my only one?

Joe
Old 03-25-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
I wanted to show you this from a 1949 Singer sewing manual. Never in a hundred years would I be able to do what it says.
Dang, by the time I clean house, pretty myself up, and get out sewing, I may not feel like it. LOL
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 AM

My hubby would think I had a hot date or was leaving him if I did that!!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Wow, crosstitcher, if only they could see us now. lol powder and lipstick?? OK, my hair is at least combed and it is a good thing I dusted the light bulbs. I do like the older manuals though. Much more detail in the pictures and where to oil etc.

piney
Old 03-25-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Ok Skip, I won't send you a nasty PM, but you better NOT hold out on us again!

Yes, I have a Singer 127 that I use to hem all my jeans and my DIL's jeans. That machine will go through that flat felt seam - doubled - like butter. It amazes me - it never skips a stitch or jumps off the seam - just a great old treadle! It is a 1913 machine, and it was my second treadle. I got him right after getting my 27 with the Pheasant decals from 1901. I also have a VS2, but 'Bessie' is not in her treadle as her treadle is in line for a do over - so I have not sewn with Bessie except on the kitchen counter just to see that she will form a stitch!

Nancy
Nancy thanks for the info on the machine capabilities. I will never hold back again I promise. I really thought that all of you knew that the clear coat to protect the decals from the factory was Shellac. That is all they had back then and it was mention in on of Billy"s tut. Sorry. But being an old furniture restorer I take things for granted and just think every one should know these things. I forget the I have been doing this for 40 + years so please forgive me. It will not happen again.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:35 PM

I will be posting the tut in a week when I return from camping and fishing so get all you materials together. Lots of cotton rags(old white T-shirts or mens underware, tighty whities) Linseed oil and denatured alcohol, and maybe a little shellac(clear) Now I am leaving in the am to catch some fish.

Skipper
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Glenn, I thought you went fishing. I have two machines that need the Glenn treatment - One is a Singer FW and the other is a really old Singer 99 - both are missing the Shellac. The 99 has the melted goo from the cord looks like - anyway the cord cover is mostly missing - sure would not want to plug that thing in. (I can just visualize Grandma sitting there sewing and all of a sudden an arc of fire, the cord melts, Grandma falls off her chair and as the house burns down, Grandpa says, "See, I told you you should have kept the treadle and not gotten that newfangled thing") I pulled that out - it's getting a hand crank some day. I cleaned it up. I was amazed - I took apart the bobbin area to clean - some of that engineering carried over to the 401s. I dug around and found most of my tools - they were all over the place.... Then I cleaned up the Alden 3/4 size some more. I like that machine a lot - it's a 15 clone. Then I opened up a bentwood case - decals are damaged but I like the machine - it's a pretty little 3/4 size something - I wrote down the number so I can look it up it is G9226827. I found a couple machines in the shop I couldn't figure out where they came from - they don't work... of course... I also found a 15 clone with no brand - looks exactly like a Universal - that one doesn't look used at all. I think it came from an auction last fall and I stuck it in there and haven't had time to look at it. It doesn't need anything - kind of bums me out... looks like new - so does the case - I found a Kenmore under the table and couldn't remember where it came from - it doesn't move - then I remembered I bought a treadle frame and it was in it - looks like 1970s machine - I found 2 White's - pretty cool looking and a newer plastic White - it looks like it might be a nice machine if it works. I got another Kenmore working - it's a newer machine - sounds funny just cause it's new - there is something about the older machines that sounds right. Then I looked at the old Universal 15 clone that needs a tension or something - put it back - had it out to compare to the no name machine. There are a bunch more in there - no counting - I would probably faint if I knew how many are in there.

Last edited by miriam; 03-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Nancy thanks for the info on the machine capabilities. I will never hold back again I promise. I really thought that all of you knew that the clear coat to protect the decals from the factory was Shellac. That is all they had back then and it was mention in on of Billy"s tut. Sorry. But being an old furniture restorer I take things for granted and just think every one should know these things. I forget the I have been doing this for 40 + years so please forgive me. It will not happen again.

All Billy gave us the option of was Liquid Gold...that or sending the machine to him for a repaint.

I have all the supplies...will try to be patient til you get back and not pray for rain!!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Yeah, Glen I hope those fish are biting. I'm ready for the finish tutorial, too.