Cleaninf Gorilla finish

Old 04-27-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Cleaninf Gorilla finish

How would you clean it up?? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-BLAC...item2a1c87a789

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331262[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqZ,!g4E9uVLI0skBPkzPw6w)!~~60_57.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	331262  
Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Probably not the best method, but I just cleaned my blackside with dish soap and water then went over it with sewing machine oil. Repeated a couple of times. I was actually watching this listing. Haha! just for the fancy back and side plates. Mine has the striated. Once clean the finish is pretty cool on these machines.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 PM

I like the looks but seems too much cleaning for me, enjoy!!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 PM

Sewing machine oil on a soft cloth or cotton ball.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 PM

I don't like oil as a cleaning agent. I feel it can suspend and trap dirt. I cleaned all 3 of my godzilla monsters with dilute simple green and a toothbrush. Some very light oil is useful after it is all clean to get rid of the dusty grey appearance . Cardiovascular though the oil gets in the creases and leaches out for a long time.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 AM

Even diluted Simple Green can damage the decals. I learned the hard way, I won't use any of that type of cleaner on any machine.

I was thinking a tooth brush with oil then a lint free cloth.

Joe
Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 AM

I'm cleaning up a machine, just like that, for a friend and I used sewing machine oil on the finish. It doesn't seem to trap any dirt and makes it nice and black. Of course it wasn't that dirty to begin with so maybe I would have tried some diluted dishwashing detergent on it first. The chrome parts are also cleaning up nicely with some Maas metal polish.

ETA: I see these on Craigslist, quite often. If you like the case that comes with it it will probably be in a million pieces by the time it gets to you (it's really sad to open the box and be greeted by all of that splintered wood), unless the person sending it is REALLY experienced in shipping these types of machines/cases.

Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 04-28-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
I'm cleaning up a machine, just like that, for a friend and I used sewing machine oil on the finish. It doesn't seem to trap any dirt and makes it nice and black. Of course it wasn't that dirty to begin with so maybe I would have tried some diluted dishwashing detergent on it first. The chrome parts are also cleaning up nicely with some Maas metal polish.

ETA: I see these on Craigslist, quite often. If you like the case that comes with it it will probably be in a million pieces by the time it gets to you (it's really sad to open the box and be greeted by all of that splintered wood), unless the person sending it is REALLY experienced in shipping these types of machines/cases.
Been there done that. Mostly from GW. They either over pack the machine and case or just toss it in loose. There isn't any rhyme nor reason to their packing.

Joe
Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM

I have 5 wooden bases and two bentwood tops for my 3/4 machines .. ALL are broken, only one base was advertised as being broken before shipping so I am 100% on getting the wood bases destroyed in shipping, as far as the machine I had one get significant paint scarring, and two have had motors and lights smashed into shards in shipping. if it is going Parcel post, once you pack it if you would not drop it down a flight of stairs when you get it packed, it is not likely packed well enough to escape Damage.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 AM

I thought I would mention, the type of finish on these machine is not even slightly related to the traditional Japan finish which is actually an Asphalt based product ( IE petroleum distillate.. think tar ) The krinkle finish is a PAINT.. and I know that leaving oil on it WILL stain it and weaken the chemical make up. I still will not use OIL as a cleaner and worse yet I do not cover the entire surface with it. YES it does make it very black.... but you would not do that to your car dash would you ? many things (especially black things) get dusty looking and tend towards grey, putting a liquid on them makes them black, but I don't think it is the right thing to do .

Also of some note is that there are very very few decals on this type of machine, and because of the wrinkled surface they are not adhered all that tight. Don't rub or brush them, best to avoid touching them at all. I am tempted to try "Armorlall" but I don't like the silicone based nature of it, over time that builds up and has a drying effect on vinyl, have not researched it on paint.