Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts? >

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm so sorry ~~~~ I too wonder what has happened to some quilts I have gifted. Due to time/money I don't give them out as freely as I used to. Even baby quilts; I am rethinking that too. Always for my grandchildren and some of our family friends children but that list is short. I have plenty I could give them too that would love them without streatching that list. Again so sorry for your saddness. A lesson for all of us.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:55 AM

I made a "Take Five" quilt from a kit I bought on a shop hop. I made it for myself because the kit had animal prints and I love those. Fast forward about 5 years, we got a new furbaby three weeks ago and I put my quilt over his crate, and he pulled part of it through and chewed it. I wasn't too worried, after all, I know how to make more! So now it is Gizmo's quilt.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 AM

Wow, what wrenching stories! Any of you talented quilters can send me a quilt and I guarantee it will be loved and treated with the utmost respect!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Many years ago, I had to use one of my quilts to transport a leaky auto battery in the trunk of my car. The only other option was to let the battery acid destroy the carpeting in the trunk. It was easier and cheaper to replace the quilt.
By saying it was "your" quilt, do you mean one that you made or one that someone gave you? Quilts can't be replaced (unless its from Walmart or such), but carpet CAN.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 AM

These stories are so sad. We could write a book! I am so sorry for those who have gifted quilts and seen them used so inappropriately! Folks have NO idea. I'm making a quilt for a "thank you" to a couple who will let us stay with them for a week. Fair trade, as I have $80 in just the top fabrics. And I won't know how it's used as we live too far awayl That's probably a good thing.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 AM

I worked like crazy to get a quilt made for Christmas for a step-daughter. She used it for awhile, and my step-son found it in a garbage bag to be thrown out. He retrieved it thankfully, and has used it ever since.

Anita in Northfield, MN
Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 AM

I gave a quilt to a family member and found it tossed on the ground outside all covered in dried mud. At the time I was very hurt. I was new to quilting so it was far from being perfect or worth a lot. But, I knew I had spent a lot of time and love into it. It was worth a lot to me. But, after awhile I calmed down and decided that when gifting a quilt, I really do have to let it go. I feel hurt with each of the posts that I have read. My quilts now go to people I know will value them and or use them with love; along with a description of how much time and money are invested. But then it is theirs.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:42 AM

I have made a few things for people in my family. Most have used these items with love like intended. Others, have just let them get trashed. When I asked why they replied "What difference does it make, they were just fabric that you sewed together because you had nothing better to do?" I couldn't stop myself and swiftly told them where they could put the quilts. The point isnt that they thought nothing of the quilt but that they thought nothing of my time and the love put into make a quilt to match their style and interests in life. The worst part is she then came back to me a few months later and asked if I would teach her to sew. She wants to make curtains for her living room. I should not do it but decided if she wants to learn then I'll teach her. Maybe after seeing how long its going to take her because she has enormous windows she will then think twice about the time and love that is put into the items that someome else may give her because I certainly know she will not be getting anything else handmade from me.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 AM

I made a quilt for my DD's boy friend..I hand pieced it and machine quilted it. The fabric was beautiful fall colored batiks. I was at their home one day and noticed it hanging over a window. Quartered and nailed at all 4 corners to keep out cold drafts! I offered him 50.00 for it but he said he liked it... he is still thinking about it accepting my offer!He can go buy himself another birthday present! Like maybe a new storm window!!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 AM

OMG! These are real horror stories. I'm planning on making a quilt for my son and his partner who are getting married in October. It is one of the free patterns that was posted - it is a heart with a rainbow comet-tail. I will use a black background. I intend to hand quilt it and have been practicing this weekend on some muslin to improve the consistency of my stitches. After reading this, I am formulating what I will tell the guys when I give it to them. They have two tuxedo cats who I know will be laying on the quilt. No problem there, I have a cat and dog and know about animal hair. They can wash it at my house (I have a fancy smancy new front load washer) so there is no problem there. I really don't think they would abuse the quilt, but I will let them know how much love and effort was put into it just for them and how I know they will care for it as it is a tribute to their love for each other and mine for them. Plus, my son knows I will be allow over his butt if he abuses! LOL.