Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts? >

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Why would you automatically assume that someone who trashes a handmade quilt does not understand the hours it took to make it or the money invested in it? Why not think the person just doesn't value the quilt maker? I think it is often as valid to assume the act is spite as it is ignorance - it's just easier to think the quilt is disliked than to think the person is effectively spitting in your face.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 PM

Awe, that's terrible, and I'm sure it hurts your feelings. Let it be a lesson learned- make sure the person you're gifting a quilt to is quilt worthy. So sorry this happened to your quilt after all that hard work!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Power Poster

Not everyone appreciates hand-made gifts. Not everyone appreciates the colors or pattern choices of a hand-made gift. Some people see a quilt as just another patchwork blanket. For that reason I am very careful who gets a quilt from me. The worst was that a friend told me she didn't like it and that was before I had given it to her. At first my feelings were hurt but then I appreciated her honesty. Regardless of the circumstances, when I give a quilt, it is no longer mine. It is the recipient's to do with as she (or he) pleases. If it goes to the dogs, then so be it. Even with that attitude, I must admit that I would be upset if I found out - - - and I like dogs a lot.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM

These are indeed sad tales of quilts mis-used and abused. I have to say that I am guilty of damaging a quilt that was slaved over and gifted to me and my DH by my MIL (who is a wonderful, prolific quilter and the reason that I quilt today).

I picked the fabrics and she hand-pieced and hand-quilted a gorgeous KING SIZED floral applique quilt. It is stunning and the moment I saw it I fell in love.

Well one day I noticed an older blood stain on the quilt and panicked. I know blood stains can be handled when fresh but old dried ones can be tricky so I turned to the internet for help (first mistake). I came back with recommendations to use Hydrogen Peroxide to soak the stain and then wash it with cold water. I soaked and when I checked it, to my horror, I could see color running out of the fabric (dark green, gold, burgundy and white) and the stuff had actually eaten a hole in the fabric.

Anyone want to guess how hard I cried when I saw what I had done? Then I had to call my MIL and explain and ask if she could help. She came and patched it for me, told me not to worry and said she would just make me another one, or now that I was a quilter, I could make one for myself.

To this day, every time I think about it I get a horrible sick feeling in my stomach. I think I apologized for about a year for that one and will NEVER make that mistake again!

Luckily, the damage was on a border section so we did continue to use and enjoy the quilt. I recently put it away however, because the fabric was getting brittle and I wanted to prevent further damage from my rambunctious kids bouncing on my bed. Will get it out again when there are not boys running on the top of my bed and it will be admired once again.

This was a tough one. I knew with painstaking detail how much love, time and energy went into that quilt. And then I came along like the biggest Dips*@t in the world and ruined it!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM

Wow, that's a pretty horrible story. I'm with you. How in the world could she do that?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM

The worst thing that has happened to one of my quilts happened to the very first one that i ever hand pieced, and the second quilt i ever made. I made it when i was 18 years old. It was a blue and white Drunkards Path. I backed it with flannelette. My sister was living with me about 7 or 8 years after i made this. The backing had worn out, and I was planning on taking it apart, and requilting it. I went out of town for the weekend. She had a little party with a bonfire. They ran out of wood, and she told everyone "I know something that we can burn". So she ran inside, grabbed the quilt and threw it on the fire.

When i got back she told me that she got rid of that "old quilt". I almost cried. She never made a quilt before, so she didn't realize the work that went into it. She now quilts, so she knows what a horrible thing she did. LOL, at least she hasn't thrown anymore into the fires.

Another sad story, my MIL gave my husband a couple of quilts that HIS grandmother made. They were wearing out, so i took one apart, (5" hexagons) made of cordouroy. A lot of the pieces were worn out, so i scoured thrift shops and found old clothing that i cut new patches from. I sewed it all together and requilted it. I gave them to my step-daughter for her kids, unfortunately, they were all lost in a house fire a couple of years later.

They wanted me to make new ones for them, but my step-daughter started quilting herself, and SHE now realizes how much work goes into a quilt.

I know my Drunkard's Path is in a better place. I haven't made another one yet, but i still might make one. We shall see.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Very sad stories. Some people love their pets so much they get everything!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM

Years ago I found a quilt my grandmother had made in the trunk of our daughter's car. It had been used as a beach blanket then got caught in a door and drug somewhere, then got torn when she was trying to "save" it. Yeah, I know. I have laundered the pieces in laundry bags and taken some of it apart. Goal is to find some fabrics - 30's prints - and put it together in some fashion. You didn't say, but I hope you have your quilt back. My sister used one of our grandmother's quilts for a litter of puppies.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM

My story is similar, but not as bad. My older son received one of the first quilts I ever made. He was in a "goth" stage, so it was black, an Irish chain, but I was pleased how I brought out some turquoise that was in the black print. He kept it on his sofa where the dog got it and chewed holes all through it. This was 20 + years ago. I have started several more for him, but just cannot finish them. His "now" significant other has quilts made by her grandmother that she treasures, so I want to make him another one...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

There's a big difference between an accident, carelessness, rudeness, and/or stupidity/ignorance.