Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts? >

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

What is the worse thing that has happened to your quilts?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:33 PM

I also gave a queen size quilt to someone once who had no idea what a quilt gift was truely valued at.this person mistreated my quilt untill one day she over heard myself and another person talking about a quilt my daughter made for her boyfriend for Christmas, this young man had some friends come to his house befor Christmas to hunt and my daughter was there to show his mother what she had made for him as a gift, these guest offered her a unreal amount of money for this quilt. Which she turned down of course and later won first place in a contest with ,but anyway When this person I gave my quilt to realized the value of a hand crafted quilt was she wasted no time getting the quilt washed and treating it properly. I am very sorry you have had your gift mistreated!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 AM

I made tied quilts for my nieces and nephews one Christmas, and I was a little taken aback when my youngest nephew made my quilt his beach blanket. I got over it when we got to the beach and he was bragging about bringing the quilt I made because it was his "special" blanket. If it had been in a dog house. I would have exploded and told them the cost if materials and quilting.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 AM

Yes, you have to be very careful to whom you make a quilt for. They don't know how much money you put in to it.
and don't seem to care.Sorry to hear that , I love all my quilts and BABY them.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:56 AM

Idiot. I hope she doesn't make children.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Your story beats mine. I had a quilt that ended up in the dogs bed, but I guess I should be greatful after reading your tale mine was at least inside. To this day I can not get that image out of my mind.
I made a quilt this year as a fund raiser for my rescue group. I actually warned them not to give it to the dog for a bed because I was concerned the dog might chew it up and wind up with blockages that would require surgery - or worse, winding up in the death of the dog. This was a rag quilt and I could see a dog deciding to try to eat it. Anyway, I'm hoping they will enjoy the quilt for themselves.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t178985.html

Aside from that, I think the "worst" thing that ever happened to one of mine was the declaration by the recipient that she would put it in her hope chest (she's in her 60's!!) and NEVER use it. I know she loved the quilt but sort of missed the point of having one.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 AM

I don't think you should have to "depersonalize". It is personal, you put a lot of time and effort into making quilts and other items. We need to be very selective in who we give things to. There are many people I would never consider giving a quilt to because they don't appreciate what goes into it. Heart and money. We have gotten very unappreciative in this world, and we should not be proud of this. IMHO we have not made great strides of improvement, we have lost what we once had. Love, humbleness, compassion, etc. Just saying!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:23 AM

I would be upset to. You put alot of love and work into it. That is so disrepectful on their part.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:29 AM

What horror! And I was upset that my DIL hung the baby quilt I made my DGS on the wall.... At least she respects it. Her grandmother quilted, so....Personally, if a relative used my quilt in the outside doghouse, I would have to speak up and tell them how much work and money went into it..and they would NEVER get anything from me again. I love my dogs, and if someone wanted a dog quilt I would happily make one. In fact, I think I will do just that, make all my dogs quilts. THEY will appreciate them!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 AM

I made my cat his own quilt because he was always playing with my tops and blocks as I laid them out. He didn't like his at all, he ignored it after it was all the way done, he just wanted to play with me.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:40 AM

I made a quilt for my Great Niece when she was born and within five years it wore out & fell apart from love. I know this should not be a bad thing (the love part) but I used a kit from a lqs which was expensive and it is embarrassing (but heart warming at the same time that she asked her mother if she could call me and ask me to make another one) to have a child call and ask if I would make another one as her first one fell apart. I did make another one however she still prefers the original one even though it is in shreds.