Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Know a great electric, gear driven straight stitcher? >

Know a great electric, gear driven straight stitcher?

Know a great electric, gear driven straight stitcher?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Thank jljack and Candace! That is great to know how much you love quilting with your 301s, because I really love those slantomatics. It's quite a thrill how powerful they are and how well you can see the needle! I've been googling for the last 5 days until my brain feels pretty much fried from reading. Surfed all over the QB too. Actually it left me with more questions, since the more i learned, the less I knew! So that 's why I turned to my fellow QB members.

I must have been looking wrong Miss Kira, because I couldn't find throat space measurements on these machines. So I could just hug you for these links!

Got it Candace - Throat, not Harp!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 AM

Found another goodie: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5211048

So the vertical bobbin case (instead of drop-in) is a great big plus for FMQ on the 301 and the 15-91

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 05-23-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 PM

Well, it will be interesting to see what you decide! My prediction...you'll start with one and eventually, as you find some machines at great prices, you'll end up with a 301, 201 and 15-91. What's nice is if you get bargains, you'll spend less on all three combined than you would on a new computerized machine. Enjoy your hunt!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:40 PM

One other thing to consider would be an industrial say a 31-15?
Maybe nursekitlaura would care to comment. Beautiful straight stitch and WAY generous throat space. Just an option to look into.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

Rain Noe has a lot of info on his blog - he is a QB member - he even has a tutorial on rebuilding wiring on the machines with potted motors: http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/rewiring
Old 05-24-2012, 04:57 AM

I'm not sure that the horizontal bobbin is really the issue it's made up to be; I've been quilting exclusively on horizontal bobbins, and I've yet to have an issue that wasn't caused by some other setting being wonky. I would suggest you try a 201 and go from there.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 AM

Teacup, I have a feeling you have predicted exactly what will eventually happen. Sooner than we think, because it is just too hard to choose! I seem to be catching the vintage sewing machine bug and my husband is too. I had SO MUCH FUN doing the simple tune up and cleaning on the Rocketeer for my daughter and DH got more and more interested the more he saw.

Miriam I feel like you just gave me treasure - thank you for that wonderful link!

Greywuuf - a 31-15 industrial model eh? Does that mean the motor is mounted below the machine? I will have to look for that machine.

And Brynn, I am really, really glad to read what you wrote about the horizontal bobbin never causing a problem for you, because that was my only concern with the beautiful 201. They have the biggest throat space of the 3 machines we've been discussing too.

So!.... i found a couple of goodies on Craigslist, but their listers have not identified them and don't know a thing about them. I’m not sure, but I think the first is a 15-91. It was owned by the lister's mother and always well cared for. He’s asking $175. We're hoping to go see it this weekend and if it is a goodie.....

The second listing we didn't hear back about yet. It is way off topic – a treadle machine, but a possible fixer upper for my husband to play with... I'm pretty sure it is a Red Eye Singer 66. Only $35 but needing a ton of work. What do you all think they are? If you were to hazard a guess, do you think the red eye is too frustrating a project for my hubby to take on as a total newbie?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A vintage 15-91.png
Views:	493
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	337682   Click image for larger version

Name:	A vintage red eye.png
Views:	511
Size:	615.0 KB
ID:	337683  

Last edited by BuzzinBumble; 05-24-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 AM

I agree with Candace. The 301s were kind of hiding in the weeks, but have now been discovered for the great machines they are. There are several on Ebay right now. Some of course are over priced. Watch Ebay to get an experience factor. Try running an ad in your loal paper. Maybe you can apprehend one in the wild and not have to pay shipping. Ask all your friends. Networking works very well. They will be calling you from garage and yard sales with outstanding "finds". They are still out there. The 301s are far more plentiful than 11s. I want an 11 myself, but they are too pricey on Ebay. Maybe I will take my own advice and run an ad.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM

About the horizontal vs. vertical bobbin. I have about 17 vintage machines and maybe 6 are drop in, horizontal bobbins. If you compare ease of stitching, the feel and the quality of the stitches during FMQ, it is clear the horizontal machines give a better end product and win out. And that's why they have a better reputation for FMQing. I'm certainly not the only one who believes this is the case. Now, I'm talking FMQ only. There is an extra turn in the drop in bobbins that makes them not as great FMQing machines. The stitches tend to be not as even as nice and have more tension issues. If you don't have other vertical bobbin machines to compare to or don't have the experience with a huge amount of machines to refer to, then you probably won't notice a difference. I have a hoard of machines and many years of sewing experience to draw from. I love my Janomes and Elnas with drop in bobbins for piecing, but always go to the vertical bobbin machines for FMQing.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 AM

Here is a link to some more info on the 31 series machine a member here has. Yes the motor is under table mounted, or I hear they treadle nicely. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...3881-3467.html