Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 PM

Here she is......the cutest 31-20 in the house![ATTACH=CONFIG]336499[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]336500[/ATTACH]She has a funny little one toed foot. Haven't figured out what other feet I want, so am just using this one. It's a really nice treadler. Very smooth. Seem to always start in the right direction, too. The veneer on the top was destroyed and 80% gone, so I just pulled it off and sanded and stained the ply underneath. I put about 20 coats of shellac on, in the French polish way, and so the table is smooth enough to use and not too ugly. I could use new veneer, someday. Right now it is living in the dining room and I love it! Only downside is the table has not one single drawer. Have to figure out some way to keep the bobbins etc with it. Just thought I'd share! Laura
Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-19-18.15.02.jpg   2012-05-19-19.52.41.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Here she is......the cutest 31-20 in the house! She has a funny little one toed foot. Haven't figured out what other feet I want, so am just using this one. It's a really nice treadler. Very smooth. Seem to always start in the right direction, too. The veneer on the top was destroyed and 80% gone, so I just pulled it off and sanded and stained the ply underneath. I put about 20 coats of shellac on, in the French polish way, and so the table is smooth enough to use and not too ugly. I could use new veneer, someday. Right now it is living in the dining room and I love it! Only downside is the table has not one single drawer. Have to figure out some way to keep the bobbins etc with it. Just thought I'd share! Laura
I'm liking that one.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

"She has a funny little one toed foot. Haven't figured out what other feet I want, so am just using this one."

Laura, is that a high shank foot? Other high shank feet may fit it. I have a Singer 241 and high shank attachments, bobbins and bobbin case from an ancient old Viking work with it.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Just wanted to share/brag a little. Our younger daughter received her Doctor of Pharmacy degree yesterday, and is now a full-fledged pharmacist. The univeristy here has a 6 year program that is tough, and it took the daughter 7 to complete it, but the deal is done. It is the same daughter who just got married. She is on the way to Atlanta for training with the company she signed with, and will be working about 40 miles from me, and moving back closer to home. Yippee!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
Just wanted to share/brag a little. Our younger daughter received her Doctor of Pharmacy degree yesterday, and is now a full-fledged pharmacist. The univeristy here has a 6 year program that is tough, and it took the daughter 7 to complete it, but the deal is done. It is the same daughter who just got married. She is on the way to Atlanta for training with the company she signed with, and will be working about 40 miles from me, and moving back closer to home. Yippee!!!
congratulations mom!!!!!! i do hope your daughter has a wonderful career and with all the aging baby boomers, she will have plenty of folks to serve.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Melinda, congrats for your daughter. It sounds like it is time for a happy dance. Kathie
Old 05-20-2012, 01:12 PM

Yay! My husband finished pharmacy school last year, so I have an idea of the work load she's had. Hope she loves her new job! How fun that she will live nearby! Laura
Old 05-20-2012, 01:12 PM

Thank yall bunches. Happy dance for sure.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
"She has a funny little one toed foot. Haven't figured out what other feet I want, so am just using this one."

Laura, is that a high shank foot? Other high shank feet may fit it. I have a Singer 241 and high shank attachments, bobbins and bobbin case from an ancient old Viking work with it.
Miriam- it is a high shank foot. Someone on the treadleon list sent me the part number for a spring loaded hopping foot, so I should be good to go when it arrives. The commercial sewing places expect you to know more about what you are ordering, I notice, and since I've never paid $35 for a foot, it made me nervous to order. As soon as I get it I will be reporting in! Laura
Old 05-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
Miriam- it is a high shank foot. Someone on the treadleon list sent me the part number for a spring loaded hopping foot, so I should be good to go when it arrives. The commercial sewing places expect you to know more about what you are ordering, I notice, and since I've never paid $35 for a foot, it made me nervous to order. As soon as I get it I will be reporting in! Laura
I wonder if that same foot would work on the 241 that is setting in my shop. Please send part number...