Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
Hi, I had posted a full picture of this machine on pg. 1580. I did get the machine. The decals look very nice, but no name, in one picture some letters are very faint. There is a number X212348 near the shuttle. Can any one tell me how i tell what type/size shuttle this is? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you
Ane...I think, just from some quick preliminary searching, that you have a New Home, BADGED, "Clark". According the Needlebar:

"The Gold Medal Company manufactured machines for Johnson Clark & Co., the predecessor to the New Home Company of Orange, Mass. Previously the company grew out of partnerships of Thomas H White/William L Grout, then White/Barker, then Clark/Barker. "
Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Originally Posted by Candace
This person lives near me. What are they smoking? :roll: And I love how the ad description makes absolutely no sense...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Restored-193...#ht_500wt_1156
$2500. Yikes! The machine under it that called to me was a Redeye, but it's only pictured from the back. Who buys a machine pictured like that?
I looked at that machine. If you scroll through the pics, it is pictured from the front. Very beautiful machine. I liked the Frister & Rossman handcrank pictured under the ridiculously overpriced machine.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Does anyone have an old sewing machine like this one???

White Number 8

our member karate lady (is looking for a manual for this one as she just bought it)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-157307-1.htm
Yep. I do. And I have the manual that Wayne from Needlebar shared with me... I posted for her to PM me her address. :)
Old 10-01-2011, 09:15 PM

Craftybear --Been waiting to take photos to share as I have a White -godzilla finish like this one and I have the original manual
Got 3 machines I haven't shown on Vintage page because they look so much like others.

Need a day to get camera and set up for photo's then we can compare. If White's are enought he same I would be willing to photocopy the manual for your friend but I couldn't do it for a few days so if someone else has one I would jump it.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:34 PM

Was this in a flood or what?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2575609163.html
Old 10-02-2011, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Miriam and Crosstitcher: Yep, think she needs a friction wheel. I was able to open it up and look inside, and it definitely has a flat side on it. Otherwise, it seems like she moves well, just has been sitting for a long time.

I found online at White Sewing Center where you can get the friction wheel with instructions and a tool rental to get out and back in. I wonder if anyone has done this before and how complicated it is to replace?
That is Ray White's site; an old Elna guy from way back. You can trust him.
Tommie
Old 10-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bennett
Miriam and Crosstitcher: Yep, think she needs a friction wheel. I was able to open it up and look inside, and it definitely has a flat side on it. Otherwise, it seems like she moves well, just has been sitting for a long time.

I found online at White Sewing Center where you can get the friction wheel with instructions and a tool rental to get out and back in. I wonder if anyone has done this before and how complicated it is to replace?
I would like to... let me know how it goes... I have 3 to do. The sewing shop wants $200.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Candace
This person lives near me. What are they smoking? :roll: And I love how the ad description makes absolutely no sense...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Restored-193...#ht_500wt_1156
If you are going to ask that much for a machine you could at least dust it. Just saying.
LOL

Stock Market drops and vintage machine prices go up!
Yup gettem' while they are hot...
Old 10-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Celeste
We had a whole basement full of stuff like that when we bought the house... sadly we had to burn some of it, throw some away and take some to the scrap yard. NOTHING salvageable - too dangerous. Fortunately no sewing machines were sacrificed.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
My DD just bought me my fourth vintage machine at a yard sale. I am going to try to attach pics....have had alot of trouble posting pics lately. It is a Singer from 1921, but that is all I know.I will get it Monday when she brings my DGD.{she is 3 and likes to treadle with me...she really likes my hand crank...it keeps her busy while her 10 yr old sister and I use the treadle}
HisPatchwork,
According to the singer records, this is a model 15 - June 1, 1921! I don't have a 15, but after reading all the rave reviews here on the board, I am on the lookout for one! Congrats! :thumbup: