Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-02-2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by grayhare
Hi, I had posted a full picture of this machine on pg. 1580. I did get the machine. The decals look very nice, but no name, in one picture some letters are very faint. There is a number X212348 near the shuttle. Can any one tell me how i tell what type/size shuttle this is? Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you
Anamaria, the shuttle is a 'vibrating shuttle,' the bullet type. To get the size you have to measure the length of the shuttle from tip to end. The machine, I think we had decided, is probably a New Home.

Nancy
Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Well, I don't know what happened, but if this is a double post, sorry!

Made a haul today, beautiful weather, perfect for yard sales even if I didn't get started until noon.

At one place, I was about to start opening up Singer cabinets to see what was inside (4 of them!) but the seller said they were already sold, the customer just couldn't fit them all in her truck at once. (Yep, done that before!) I so want to know what was in them now. :) Had a box of blackside attachments sitting on top too.

But that's okay, I got 2 machines for a whopping $15 bucks. The Universal needs a presser foot screw and has no foot pedal, but it's pink and white with chrome, how can you go wrong with that? The real keeper is the Elna Supermatic. No manual, but looks like most everything I need is there, including some cams and the knee bar. She makes a weird clunky jerking sound (maybe from the belt area?) but she does run. I'll have to spend a little time figuring that out.

Then, I found a puzzle box at another sale. The seller was all ready to tell me what it was and show it off, but I think I disappointed him a little when I actually knew how it worked. Oh well, he has my $5 and I've got a puzzle box, we're both happy now. :D
Wow for 20 bucks you got 2 machines and a puzzle box! That is what the puzzle boxes sell for by themselves! More on e-bay! Congratulations, on the Elna and Universal!

Nancy
Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 AM

Is there anyway to replace decals so that they look original, or close to it? Really light vinyl decal? Stencil? Paint pen?

I ask because the Necchi BU my son picked up for me is in bad shape, paint-wise, and won't be usable without a repaint. We might be able to get away with only redoing the bed, but that still takes the bed decal, and I sort of like it. I just think the decals are part of the character, and I hate to not replace it, if I can.

the bubbled--and missing--paint on the bed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]265180[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-265127.jpe  
Old 10-02-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Does anyone have an old sewing machine like this one???

White Number 8

our member karate lady (is looking for a manual for this one as she just bought it)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-157307-1.htm
Here is your friend's White! http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...PRnPV?start=60

Click on the 1942 White VS8. That is your friend's model.

Nancy
Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by craftybear
Does anyone have an old sewing machine like this one???

White Number 8

our member karate lady (is looking for a manual for this one as she just bought it)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-157307-1.htm
Here is your friend's White! http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...PRnPV?start=60

Click on the 1942 White VS8. That is your friend's model.

Nancy
Interesting!! When I called White to date my #8, (photos on the photo thread) they told me they only made the #8 for a year to year and a half before they discontinued the model! So much for trusting them!! :lol:
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Is there anyway to replace decals so that they look original, or close to it? Really light vinyl decal? Stencil? Paint pen?

I ask because the Necchi BU my son picked up for me is in bad shape, paint-wise, and won't be usable without a repaint. We might be able to get away with only redoing the bed, but that still takes the bed decal, and I sort of like it. I just think the decals are part of the character, and I hate to not replace it, if I can.
You can get water slide decal paper and use an art program and make your own. The paper comes in two types, one for light backgrounds and one for dark. I got some off the internet to make some for a couple of mine but haven't taken time to do it yet. Just google water slide decal paper and you should be able to find vendors. :thumbup:
Old 10-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Celeste

I have that exact table with a black, 319W in it, sitting in the garage. Mine needs some veneer work to bring it back to life. But that poor table is past saving, poor thing!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Celeste
I love how they say "needs to be restored." Ya think?? I'm sure a little dab of shellac will make that cabinet just spiffy. ;-)
Old 10-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Miriam and Crosstitcher: Yep, think she needs a friction wheel. I was able to open it up and look inside, and it definitely has a flat side on it. Otherwise, it seems like she moves well, just has been sitting for a long time.

I found online at White Sewing Center where you can get the friction wheel with instructions and a tool rental to get out and back in. I wonder if anyone has done this before and how complicated it is to replace?
That is Ray White's site; an old Elna guy from way back. You can trust him.
Tommie
Thanks, that seems to be the only place I saw it online. I appreciate the reassurance!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Miriam and Crosstitcher: Yep, think she needs a friction wheel. I was able to open it up and look inside, and it definitely has a flat side on it. Otherwise, it seems like she moves well, just has been sitting for a long time.

I found online at White Sewing Center where you can get the friction wheel with instructions and a tool rental to get out and back in. I wonder if anyone has done this before and how complicated it is to replace?
I would like to... let me know how it goes... I have 3 to do. The sewing shop wants $200.
:shock: Wow. Maybe I'm in the wrong business! Of course, I've never really taken anything in to a shop to be serviced, so I have no idea what going rates for repairs and such are.