Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Quiltncowgirl and I drove up on Friday evening and had so much fun with all the folks on Saturday. About 20 there, plus about twice that many machines brought in. The hostess had about 2 billion machines in her place!! LOL Not really, but certainly several hundred. Learned a lot, got to put a handcrank on my 99 and spent time with some fun people.
it was so fun meeting you and Monica and all the others there. Everyone was so helpful and generous with their time and expertise. My next "want" is a Davis VF after seeing and trying Monica's. It was so fun...I know I said that, but really, it was SO FUN!!! :-)
All I can really add is that my mouth is still hanging open in awe! (just ask Monica ROFL). I soooo enjoyed using a New White Peerless handcrank to make Monica's sewing machine cover project for us. I was cranking like a mad woman because I was determine to finish my machine cover with nothing but people power. There was no way I was going to finish it at home lol.

Now I am ready to help Janice find a mission style treadle so my 1891 Singer Vibrating Shuttle No. 2 can be reunited with her cabinet (Janice has it). I even rearranged my sewing room last night in anticipation of having a place for her.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Listing on eBay for "small treadle base", and then the following description:

Singer Cast Iron And Steel Treadle Sewing Machine Base Bottom Looks Good 20 1/2"-11 1/2" !!!!

Is this truly "small"? I am at work so can't measure mine. If it's small, what would fit on it? Thanks!
What did they measure? What direction is the measurement? is that at the bottom or the top. Is it horizontal or vertical?

Don't know. That's how it's listed.
I saw the posting. I went to measure my Singer treadle that my 201 sits in, standard treadle. It measure 22 across (where the legs sit on ground), 28 " high, and 19 " deep. Hope that helps ya!

I don't know what the smaller treadles measure. You could send them a message asking for more info. on measurements and what machine/ cabinet goes with this.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:20 AM

[quote=QuiltnCowgirl]
Quiltncowgirl
All I can really add is that my mouth is still hanging open in awe! (just ask Monica ROFL). I soooo enjoyed using a New White Peerless handcrank to make Monica's sewing machine cover project for us. I was cranking like a mad woman because I was determine to finish my machine cover with nothing but people power. There was no way I was going to finish it at home lol.

Now I am ready to help Janice find a mission style treadle so my 1891 Singer Vibrating Shuttle No. 2 can be reunited with her cabinet (Janice has it). I even rearranged my sewing room last night in anticipation of having a place for her.
Sheryl, You were making the HC fly! And who says those vintage machines can't stitch as fast. Well, Sheryl had that Peerless moving!

Both Janice and Sheryl made very cute sewing machine covers. Please post in the projects made with vintage machines!

I want to see more pictures of that room!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Someone was looking for a drop leaf support for a treadle cabinet. Here is one on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-SEWIN...item43a9185071
That would be me! I think that may work, a bit different from original, at least it looks like it.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Sheryl, You were making the HC fly! And who says those vintage machines can't stitch as fast. Well, Sheryl had that Peerless moving!

Both Janice and Sheryl made very cute sewing machine covers. Please post in the projects made with vintage machines!

I want to see more pictures of that room!!!
My arm got a work out. I couldn't figure out at first yesterday why it ached. lol I hadn't even thought of posting a picture of my machine cover in the projects made with vintage machines section. I most certainly will tonight. And maybe even some of my continuously evolving sewing room too.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:27 AM

I just bought a Singer 201 at an antique "consignment" shop. It's the kind of shop where lots of people have booths with stuff for sale. I was looking at another sewing machine when DH calls me over to look at this other machine. It didn't have the nifty ID plate but did have serial # so figured out PDQ how to access internt via phone and looked up serial #. Couldn't believe it was a 210 and only wanted $35.00 for it. Snatched it up and took it up to counter. Needs some cleaning and the Japan finish is crackling/crazing in some spots and bed decals a bit worn but thought it a fabulous find none-the-less. DH has officially become an enabler. He found 4 other sewing machines and 2 cabinets in same store. He did miss one cabinet but wouldn't have said yes for the price anyway.
2 questions: How do I clean bed without hurting/damaging the crackled portion and will machine still sew well without a cabinet? Can I clean with Goop like normal or do I need something else? I am unsure if machine oil alone will do the trick to get the really dirty spots the seller missed.
Will post pics when I find camera or DD gets home to help me find camera.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by irishrose
Both of my treadles are small machines and the bases are 16.5 by 21.5 measured at their footprint. That would be a very narrow base.
My singer is 22 X 12 at the top of the iron. Is there a wood top with it? I wonder if it was for something else?
Yeah, no cabinet, just the irons. Mystery!!
could they be the straight irons?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I just bought a Singer 201 at an antique "consignment" shop.
2 questions: How do I clean bed without hurting/damaging the crackled portion and will machine still sew well without a cabinet? Can I clean with Goop like normal or do I need something else? I am unsure if machine oil alone will do the trick to get the really dirty spots the seller missed.
Will post pics when I find camera or DD gets home to help me find camera.
Congrats on your excellent deal! I only clean my sewing machines with sewing oil. You need to be patient cleaning the machine this way since it sometimes take time to loosen up the cruddy oil that is built up on the machine. Don't use Goop unless you don't mind all the shellac to be removed, and possibly decals damaged. Doesn't mean that it could happen to you using the Goop (non pumice), but you don't know until you start into it. That is what happened to me when I cleaned a machine with the bed having a crackled shellac. I started cleaning with the Goop, only to find the "dirt" I was removing was really the shellac and decals. So, I now only clean with sewing oil.

And yes, sewing machine oil alone will clean the machine!
Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by deplaylady
An eBay listing for those of you who have a shop - or enough Singers to look like a shop! My sewing room has no windows.
http://cgi.ebay.com/130573060582#ht_500wt_953
I am going to watch this one, thanks for the post!!

Billy
Billy - good to see you back! How are you feeling? :D
Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to check in...MIL is visiting (a good thing, love her to pieces! :) ) but while she's here, my computer/sewing room is her bedroom, so it's a bit harder to check in as much as I usually do!

Hope everyone is having a GREAT week, see you soon!! :)