Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to check in...MIL is visiting (a good thing, love her to pieces! :) ) but while she's here, my computer/sewing room is her bedroom, so it's a bit harder to check in as much as I usually do!

Hope everyone is having a GREAT week, see you soon!! :)
Here I thought you went AWOL
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Little Orphan Annie's patent date was Dec 17, 1895. If that's a serial number on the slide plate, she was made in 1904. I think it must a serial number because it fits New Home's numbering pattern. I think I'm going to go ahead and clean her up because the treadle is so free and smooth, unlike the Leader. I will probably lose the decals she has left by the time she's clean. Does anyone admit to having painted decorations on an antique machine? Is it any worse that painting a FW?

The Ruby is in a wooden cradle that then fits into the cabinet, then there is a metal cover on the bottom of the machine so that has to come off to clean the bottom gears. I also need to take the irons off and take them outside to clean and probably paint. The drawer cases are funny. They aren't attached on the sides, just suspended from the top of the cabinet. The wood is very dry and what finish is left is very rough, but there is only one ruffled spot of veneer. There is a missing panel across the front. I will call the young lady to see if it broke off in her car, otherwise, I'll have to make one. Is it possible the machine had a canvas sling under the machine? I vacuumed off pieces of rotted canvas last night and there are slim wooden pieces that would have held it in place. No, I won't paint the cabinet. Wish me luck.

I talked to my son last night. I do not have a Redeye, but he saw one in a barbeque shop. He said now he knows why I want one. He also said the one on display was very dusty and he really wanted to dust it for them while he waited for his order.
Don't know what all is with it, but there is a Ruby at San Diego, CA goodwill that is not being bid on, if anybody there is looking for a parts machine. http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8544529
Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/2594999244.html
this one is in Cincinnati/Northern KY Just enabling again...
Wonder why that has such a big motor on it...
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
a Singer 201 with 2 questions: How do I clean bed without hurting/damaging the crackled portion and will machine still sew well without a cabinet? Can I clean with Goop like normal or do I need something else? I am unsure if machine oil alone will do the trick to get the really dirty spots the seller missed.
Congrats on your excellent deal! I only clean my sewing machines with sewing oil. You need to be patient cleaning the machine this way since it sometimes take time to loosen up the cruddy oil that is built up on the machine. Don't use Goop unless you don't mind all the shellac to be removed, and possibly decals damaged. Doesn't mean that it could happen to you using the Goop (non pumice), but you don't know until you start into it. That is what happened to me when I cleaned a machine with the bed having a crackled shellac. I started cleaning with the Goop, only to find the "dirt" I was removing was really the shellac and decals. So, I now only clean with sewing oil. And yes, sewing machine oil alone will clean the machine!
You have me convinced. I will use just machine oil. Am not completely sure that all crud is old oil - it may be leftover smokers stuff. Recently cleaned up a 15 encrusted with heavy smoke stuff and this stuff looks remarkably similar. I will however use the sewing machine oil. Thanks VM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
Wonder why that has such a big motor on it... I also wonder what it does?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM

I think the motor is a 'normal' sized motor...it's just that the machine itself is tiny....is that a 24?
Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 PM

Here is Rosie, the 201. She told me her name as DH and I were fixing her foot pedal. She does have a couple of issue for an OSMG but am hopeful I can fix a couple of other ones.
I am going to look for a parts donor machne tomorrow for the missing screw and also an OSMG at a couple of places in town.

Rosie. Ain't she purdy?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255695[/ATTACH]

bad finish on bed and worn decal
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255700[/ATTACH]

missing screw on thread tension - I can fix this
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255701[/ATTACH]

don't believe motor is supposed to haved this much electric tape
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255702[/ATTACH]

Lily, supervising us to make sure we replace everything correctly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255703[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255689.jpe   attachment-255694.jpe   attachment-255695.jpe   attachment-255696.jpe   attachment-255697.jpe  

Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
I think the motor is a 'normal' sized motor...it's just that the machine itself is tiny....is that a 24?
No idea. What do you use one for?
Is it regular or chain stitch?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 PM

This machine looks interesting, can anyone tell me who makes it ,or anthing about it. It has a shuttle. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255714.jpe  
Old 09-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Here is Rosie, the 201. She told me her name as DH and I were fixing her foot pedal. She does have a couple of issue for an OSMG but am hopeful I can fix a couple of other ones.
I am going to look for a parts donor machne tomorrow for the missing screw and also an OSMG at a couple of places in town.
Is the tension spring missing too?