Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-12-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Here is Rosie, the 201. I am going to look for a parts donor machne tomorrow for the missing screw and also an OSMG at a couple of places in town.
Is the tension spring missing too?
I don't believe so as there's a spring there but will look more closely.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
This machine looks interesting, can anyone tell me who makes it ,or anthing about it. It has a shuttle. Thank you
Isn't she pretty though ------- no idea what she is but you can bet she's got some years on her ...............
Old 09-12-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Here is Rosie, the 201. She told me her name as DH and I were fixing her foot pedal. She does have a couple of issue for an OSMG but am hopeful I can fix a couple of other ones.
I am going to look for a parts donor machne tomorrow for the missing screw and also an OSMG at a couple of places in town.
Chris, That's going to be a very nice machine after you get it all cleaned up!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by purplefiend
Tomorrow I'm going to look at a Singer 301a. It's on Craig's List and its free. All I know is that its in a cabinet. I'll update everyone when I get it home.
Sharon W.
I hope it's still there tomorrow. If nothing else you would have a parts machine. I'm so thankful to have a couple machines for parts. I keep finding machines that need this or that here and there. One of these days there won't be anything good left. The odd thing is that it isn't the same part every time.
I brought it home on Sunday afternoon. I left the cabinet behind. Tonight I removed gobs of icky grease from the gears in the top of the machine and hand wheel. Someone was overly generous with the grease and it was a mess. Once I got it all cleaned up,delinted and new oil and Singer lube on the gears; she sews a beautiful stitch. She's so quiet too. :-D
I'll post pictures in the photo section. I wish I'd taken before pictures of the inside of the top gears. UGH gross!!! :roll:
Sharon W. in Texas(aka a very happy quilter)
P.s. I have 2 black 301's now.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 PM

The 201's tension assembly is definitely awry. I know I am capable of fixing her but need a diagram which I saw once but don't know if I saved anywhere. Rosie lived with a smoker for a while - cleaned smoker residue off her. UGGHH!! No offense to smokers but it leaves behind a residue that is nasty to clean up. She does have 2 springs in the thread tension area but don't know how to assemble or even try to assemble correctly so it's off to search favorites and other places to see if I saved those diagrams. Please let me have saved them.

Update: Found manual on ISMACS site with good info. I am missing a piece of the tension assembly and not quite understanding how it goes together but will look for donor machine tomorrow for missing piece. FYI: Did save diagram for the 15-91 which was a big help but manual was more helpful.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Originally Posted by irishrose
Little Orphan Annie's patent date was Dec 17, 1895. If that's a serial number on the slide plate, she was made in 1904. I think it must a serial number because it fits New Home's numbering pattern. I think I'm going to go ahead and clean her up because the treadle is so free and smooth, unlike the Leader. I will probably lose the decals she has left by the time she's clean. Does anyone admit to having painted decorations on an antique machine? Is it any worse that painting a FW?

The Ruby is in a wooden cradle that then fits into the cabinet, then there is a metal cover on the bottom of the machine so that has to come off to clean the bottom gears. I also need to take the irons off and take them outside to clean and probably paint. The drawer cases are funny. They aren't attached on the sides, just suspended from the top of the cabinet. The wood is very dry and what finish is left is very rough, but there is only one ruffled spot of veneer. There is a missing panel across the front. I will call the young lady to see if it broke off in her car, otherwise, I'll have to make one. Is it possible the machine had a canvas sling under the machine? I vacuumed off pieces of rotted canvas last night and there are slim wooden pieces that would have held it in place. No, I won't paint the cabinet. Wish me luck.

I talked to my son last night. I do not have a Redeye, but he saw one in a barbeque shop. He said now he knows why I want one. He also said the one on display was very dusty and he really wanted to dust it for them while he waited for his order.
Don't know what all is with it, but there is a Ruby at San Diego, CA goodwill that is not being bid on, if anybody there is looking for a parts machine. http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8544529
Why are most pictures of sewing machines up for bid or sale taken from the back? Are these people not aware which side is the front? Watch, you'll see.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:15 PM

grayhare, that's a very pretty machine. Could be any number of machines. It's newer than my new orphan. Maybe closer to the age of my 1928 machine. Is that a number on the slide plate?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:43 PM

This machine looks interesting, can anyone tell me who makes it ,or anthing about it. It has a shuttle. Thank you
Nice looking machine, my guess is some type of National for what it's worth. Good luck with your search.
Jon
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 PM

Anamarie,

Cute machine! So, Do we call the decals Art Deco; if so, then it makes it easier to find a machine similar in shape. Still don't know who manufactured the machine. I was able to find an Apartment Electric.

Hopeful someone else will come to the rescue.

So, top machine is the one you posted.
Bottom machine is the one I found.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255826.png   attachment-255827.jpe  
Old 09-13-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Anamarie,

Cute machine! So, Do we call the decals Art Deco; if so, then it makes it easier to find a machine similar in shape. Still don't know who manufactured the machine. I was able to find an Apartment Electric.

Hopeful someone else will come to the rescue.

So, top machine is the one you posted.
Bottom machine is the one I found.
Anamarie,

I have this machine with a different name. Our Special

Our Special
[ATTACH=CONFIG]255872[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-255866.jpe