Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Banned

Well kids I have a few estate sales I am going to with a friend of mine and we are hoping to come out with several vintage machines and quilting goodies. I just refurbished a machine for her a Belvedere in a two tone brown that was REALLY pretty. It is a straight stitch/zigzag machine that also uses cams for the decorative stitches. I wish I took some photos of it because I want to find one just like it. But she is just the sweetest thing and has a really funny story in her quilting and sewing ventures.

She is 34 and has owned a 1948 Singer Featherweight since she bought it in 9th grade. She has quilted several queen sized quilts on it and a king sized quilt. Needless to say that is her favorite machine in the world and until just recently her only machine in the world. She has a really nice 1940's Singer industrial, a serger, and now the Japanese full size machine. She told me that she is so tickled to have a machine that she can use a zigzag stitch with. I am hopping to find the cams for her machine and after seeing my collection and the other machines that I am refinishing I think she has been bitten by the vintage machine bug bad! :lol:

But the work that comes off of the FW she has is phenomenal!!!

Billy
Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
My mom "moved on" two years ago, but she was my partner in crime. We hunted machines together, and had a fabulous time cleaning and working on them. I'm more into the mechanical side of things, but Mom loved the woodworking. I have cabinets that she refinished when she was nearly 90. She sold off most of her machines before she moved into senior housing, but she probably had 40 or so at that time.
She stayed about a year and a half in senior housing, absolutely hated it, and at the age of 90, bought a home clear out in the middle of nowhere. She always said she bought the garage, and a house came with it. (It WAS a nice garage!!) When she died, she still had a Red Eye, a VS II, a 101 and her favorite machine of all, a 15-91, in addition to her modern machines, which she didn't particularly like. I found good homes for her favorites with granddaughters and a DIL.
Wow, Miz Johnny, I am always envious of people who got to spend so much time with their parents doing something they both loved! My Mother and Dad were in their mid 70's when they both died. I'd of loved to be able to do the vintage machines with my mom! Dad and I always did the horse thing, it would have been so nice if Mom and I could of done the vintage machine thing. I really thought after Dad died that Mom and I would have that time - it just was not meant to be.

Your mother sounds like a real kick in the pants type of person!

Nancy
Old 06-28-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Is it wrong to want a machine just because it's pink?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...33480.html#des
I don't think so. I would love to buy just the right turquoise machine if it came along... simply for its color!
:-D
Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Is it wrong to want a machine just because it's pink?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...33480.html#des
Is there a WRONG reason to buy a machine? :lol: I think she's pretty!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Miz Johnny~~ thank you so much for sharing the story about your Mom. She sounds wonderful and as though she was a kick in the pants. What fun you two had. I am sure you miss her.

Soon I will traveling to see my Mom and packing my FW. I am pretty sure she has never seen one but I know for sure she has never sewn on one. I think she will like it.

It is because of my Mom and her aunt that I enjoy sewing today. My great Aunt owned a wedding/formal gown factory with her DH. My Mom used to work for her in the summers to earn money. Of course, my GA was meticulous about basting with pins, with thread and then sewing the seam... also, about not putting pins in your mouth~~which I still do to this day! When she died she had many of the factory industrial sewing machines of various sorts in her home. I could have had any of them if I paid freight. The time for me of raising a family left me without funds to do so and they were sold. I have longed for those machines so much throughout the years. Hopefully, someone has rescued them.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok while you guys were out having fun, I finished my lap quilt. I am very proud to tell you all that this is a quilt made entirely by vintage machines!
Gorgeous quilt. I love your colors and patterns and the vintageness of it. :-D
Old 06-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Oh my....just went out today to do a little "junkin" because I didn't want to stay at home. Can I help it if this stuff followed me back?
Grand total of today's expenditures? $10.00. (5 for the machine, 5 for the iron and buttonholer)
Can I come shopping with you sometime Charlee? :shock: Cool stuff... love Fannie, her decals are beautiful.
You can come go junkin' with me ANYTIME! :) I left behind two Domestics and a New Home...the guy told me with this one that "The machine's not worth anything, but the cabinet is good to set a microwave on or somethin'." I couldn't agree with him fast enough...told him I was thinking of a plant stand for the deck.... :lol:
OK, Charlee, I'm going shopping with you!!! :-) No good deals down here at all.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Ok...so maybe naming my "new" machine "Fannie" is NOT such a good idea... I was thinking of a lady that used to work with us when we worked at Town Pump/Lucky Lil's in Montana.

My husband, bless his pointed head, said, "That's a good name...then when you are showing people your machines, you can say, 'And this is my White Fannie"...leaving out the punctuation!!
That man has a great sense of humor!! LOL
Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Ok...so maybe naming my "new" machine "Fannie" is NOT such a good idea... I was thinking of a lady that used to work with us when we worked at Town Pump/Lucky Lil's in Montana.

My husband, bless his pointed head, said, "That's a good name...then when you are showing people your machines, you can say, 'And this is my White Fannie"...leaving out the punctuation!!
LOL! Sounds like something my husband would come up with!
Keep the name Fannie...makes for an interesting name for a sewing machine.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Vickers, perhaps? The early Spitfires had Vickers guns.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
For those that like a mystery:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-133569-1.htm#3575279

I'm still too green for the vintage machines to know what type. I know the Singers and some of the other American machines since we see lots of them here, but this one just may be a British or German machine. I could be spending hours researching, but I have numerous quilts that need to get done. Plus, a cabinet and treadle need to get assembled.

Maybe Miz Johnny or someone else here can answer this one quickly.
Miz Johnny, I figured it out. I told myself to go work on the quilt, but I kept finding myself googling for the answer. You are correct! I knew you would most likely know the answer right away!