Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Ok...so maybe naming my "new" machine "Fannie" is NOT such a good idea... I was thinking of a lady that used to work with us when we worked at Town Pump/Lucky Lil's in Montana.

My husband, bless his pointed head, said, "That's a good name...then when you are showing people your machines, you can say, 'And this is my White Fannie"...leaving out the punctuation!!
:lol:
Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by luce321
Can someone tell me how to get into the photo shop?
Here you go http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

Just Bookmark the photoshop so you will always be able to go there!

Nancy
Just came back from the shop - I'm now drooling! such beautiful machines!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Thanks MizJohnny. I told this to my DH and guess what, he laughed at me. I'll show him ! he he he Will let you know if it works for me.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:12 PM

Is it wrong to want a machine just because it's pink?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...33480.html#des
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Is it wrong to want a machine just because it's pink?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...33480.html#des
cute! sounds like a good reason to me!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 PM

Vickers, perhaps? The early Spitfires had Vickers guns.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
For those that like a mystery:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-133569-1.htm#3575279

I'm still too green for the vintage machines to know what type. I know the Singers and some of the other American machines since we see lots of them here, but this one just may be a British or German machine. I could be spending hours researching, but I have numerous quilts that need to get done. Plus, a cabinet and treadle need to get assembled.

Maybe Miz Johnny or someone else here can answer this one quickly.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM

Kroil is a very good penetrating oil. I would use that first, and then heat (hair dryer) if the Kroil doesn't do the trick on it's own.
Originally Posted by miriam
It's a good thing I'm not terribly strong - well, maybe. I have a screw to get off - I don't want to break it... I keep putting oil on it - maybe some will get through and I can get it to budge. I am trying to tackle that old Elna today. I'm quite sure it has a broken bobbin gear down under. I talked myself into it last night. I can't get the free arm plate off - the screw maybe welded on or something... I am going to keep putting oil on it until it comes loose I guess. Meanwhile I cleaned up a couple other old machines - one is the Elna I bought the other day and the other is a rescued Kenmore - not a bad little machine - not my preference either - a good starter - better than the throw away plastic machines you buy these days.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 PM

The 500 does not need the "0" cam; the 503 does. The 0 cam is for ZZ, which the 500 will do without the cam.
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I bought this 500 singer; I had to take the cabinet to get the machine. It has 2 sets of cams the same but no “o” cam. So she never sewed with the “o” cam in place, it seems slow. I ordered the missing cam. So she sewed with out it what needs to be done to the machine now?
Phyllis nm
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/hsh/2461954713.html
Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM

Yes, always use a cam--not necessarily the 0 cam, but a cam.
Originally Posted by miriam
the book that came with it says 500, i tried to look it up, it was made in 1961. when i looked on the web it said never sew with out the o cam.
hm I've never seen one come with a 0 cam - what page is that on?
i saw it here:
http://www.newenglandsimpleliving.co...0aslantno3.htm
Geeze, we are back to the cam or no cam issue! I just leave a cam in and don't have to worry about it! I know my 503a has to have a cam in order to use it, don't know about the 500!

Nancy
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM

My mom "moved on" two years ago, but she was my partner in crime. We hunted machines together, and had a fabulous time cleaning and working on them. I'm more into the mechanical side of things, but Mom loved the woodworking. I have cabinets that she refinished when she was nearly 90. She sold off most of her machines before she moved into senior housing, but she probably had 40 or so at that time.
She stayed about a year and a half in senior housing, absolutely hated it, and at the age of 90, bought a home clear out in the middle of nowhere. She always said she bought the garage, and a house came with it. (It WAS a nice garage!!) When she died, she still had a Red Eye, a VS II, a 101 and her favorite machine of all, a 15-91, in addition to her modern machines, which she didn't particularly like. I found good homes for her favorites with granddaughters and a DIL.

Yep, a quilt is just a quilt until you think about all the people power that made the quilt! I often wonder what my mother would have thought if she could see me now! She died 4 years ago, 6 days after my dad died - it sent me into a tailspin that lasted a couple years. I didn't ride, didn't sew, did nothing. Then I decided I better do something with the horses and I started to sew again! I know my mom learned to sew using a treadle - but, she'd probably think I was crazy to see me now with 9 treadles in the house and a total of 33 or 34 sewing machines! I would have loved to be able to share this with her.

Nancy