Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
Can someone tell me how to get into the photo shop?
Here you go http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

Just Bookmark the photoshop so you will always be able to go there!

Nancy
Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Miriam, I couldn't agree more...HOWEVER!! The more of the "greenies" that start picking up the vintage machines, the fewer of them are out there for US!! :lol:
You know I got by for YEARS with just that Elna. I'd be happy to share my bounty if anybody was interested. I have good quality machines just sitting on CL all the time. Nobody wants to sew. They want to hug trees though. Sewing is so VERY green. I think about the old sewing books my MIL passed on to me. They had all kinds of stuff about how to remodel a dress. Change the cuffs, the collar, re do this re do that. These days if we are tired of it we toss the clothes and the machines are pretty much long gone. No room for that gotta have a big screen tv or what ever. I love Dolly Pardon's song about the coat of many colors her momma made. My mom made me one when I was in the 8th grade. There was a box of old clothes turned up at our house. In the box was a hideously ugly old coat. It was green, red, blue, gold plaid wool. Humongous and did I mention UGLY??? We were living in northern Wisconsin at the time and I out grew my coat. My mom managed to work out a coat out of that horrid thing. When she got done it had bias sleeves, bias pockets and it was double breasted. She re-lined it with bits of her wedding dress. AND it was WARM. To this day when ever I get a coat I wonder if it will be as good as that coat. Well, one day we were sitting around yacking about something and I mentioned the coat. My mom kind of snickered and apologized for not being able to come up with anything any better. I gawked at her and said, gee mom it was the best coat I ever had. I compare all the coats I buy to that coat. It was warm. So my sister said, "Was it that plaid coat with bias sleeves and pockets and double breasted?" I said, "Yeah" She said, "I remember that coat. I wore it too. I loved that coat." Then my other sister said she wore it too. We had a big group hug. Nobody knows where it is. BUT how green can you get - an old discarded coat out of thick wool. Yeah mom had to work around the holes... BUT the coat kept 3 girls warm. I'd say we each wore it two years. How is that for going green??? Oh yeah the cost was a spool of thread and 6 or 8 shiny new brass buttons. Kind of off season to be thinking about a coat... what ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1zJzr-kWsI
Dolly's song
Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok while you guys were out having fun, I finished my lap quilt. I am very proud to tell you all that this is a quilt made entirely by vintage machines!

It was pieced using my Free #5 treadle, quilted using my Singer Model 15-88 treadle, sashing attached using my Eldredge Two Spools Treadle, binding attached using Betty - my Davis Vertical Feed treadle, and lastly the back of the binding finished with the Pfaff 1222e (the only electric machine to touch this quilt because I always finish the binding using the Pfaff)!
Beautiful! Isn't it fun using all the vintage machines for just one quilt? Thanks for posting!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Okay, there is something I am confused about with my 401A. According to this site: http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...s-400-499.html
the 401A started production in 1957, but according to this site:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach.../double-letter
and the serial number on my machine being #NA703991, the machine's number was assigned in 1951. So - which is correct?

Unless - maybe the first site got its dates from the manuals it found and only found ones from later dates?
Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Oh Miriam, I LOVE that story!! It made me tear up...I can remember things like that too...

I can't agree with you more...years ago, I went to a mining convention with my ex who was a diamond core driller. They drilled for mineral samples so that geologists would know where to mine.
Outside were protestors, shouting that mining needed to be banned because it was bad for the enviroment. I couldn't help but to tell the one guy shouting the loudest, seeming to be the "ring leader" to go home and come back without his eyeglasses, wedding ring, jeans (metal snaps), shoes (metal eyelets...AND leather!), and while he was at it, to make sure that he walked, because no matter if he rode a bike or drove a car, he got it because of mining! They packed up and left...and the association bought my dinner that night! :lol:
Old 06-28-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
You know I got by for YEARS with just that Elna. I'd be happy to share my bounty if anybody was interested. I have good quality machines just sitting on CL all the time. Nobody wants to sew. They want to hug trees though. Sewing is so VERY green. I think about the old sewing books my MIL passed on to me. They had all kinds of stuff about how to remodel a dress. Change the cuffs, the collar, re do this re do that. These days if we are tired of it we toss the clothes and the machines are pretty much long gone. No room for that gotta have a big screen tv or what ever. I love Dolly Pardon's song about the coat of many colors her momma made. My mom made me one when I was in the 8th grade. There was a box of old clothes turned up at our house. In the box was a hideously ugly old coat. It was green, red, blue, gold plaid wool. Humongous and did I mention UGLY??? We were living in northern Wisconsin at the time and I out grew my coat. My mom managed to work out a coat out of that horrid thing. When she got done it had bias sleeves, bias pockets and it was double breasted. She re-lined it with bits of her wedding dress. AND it was WARM. To this day when ever I get a coat I wonder if it will be as good as that coat. Well, one day we were sitting around yacking about something and I mentioned the coat. My mom kind of snickered and apologized for not being able to come up with anything any better. I gawked at her and said, gee mom it was the best coat I ever had. I compare all the coats I buy to that coat. It was warm. So my sister said, "Was it that plaid coat with bias sleeves and pockets and double breasted?" I said, "Yeah" She said, "I remember that coat. I wore it too. I loved that coat." Then my other sister said she wore it too. We had a big group hug. Nobody knows where it is. BUT how green can you get - an old discarded coat out of thick wool. Yeah mom had to work around the holes... BUT the coat kept 3 girls warm. I'd say we each wore it two years. How is that for going green??? Oh yeah the cost was a spool of thread and 6 or 8 shiny new brass buttons. Kind of off season to be thinking about a coat... what ever.
Miriam, I loved the story about the coat. Geeze, I wonder what today's kids will remember about their Mom's? My mother could make anything, re-make anything. She had quite a talent for re-doing her store bought clothes to something she liked better. I have never been that good - never had the nerve to take something apart and re-do it the way my mother did. What talent those women have/had.

Nancy
Old 06-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok while you guys were out having fun, I finished my lap quilt. I am very proud to tell you all that this is a quilt made entirely by vintage machines!

It was pieced using my Free #5 treadle, quilted using my Singer Model 15-88 treadle, sashing attached using my Eldredge Two Spools Treadle, binding attached using Betty - my Davis Vertical Feed treadle, and lastly the back of the binding finished with the Pfaff 1222e (the only electric machine to touch this quilt because I always finish the binding using the Pfaff)!
That's what I SHOULD have been doing!! It's beautiful!!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Beautiful! Isn't it fun using all the vintage machines for just one quilt? Thanks for posting!
Yep, a quilt is just a quilt until you think about all the people power that made the quilt! I often wonder what my mother would have thought if she could see me now! She died 4 years ago, 6 days after my dad died - it sent me into a tailspin that lasted a couple years. I didn't ride, didn't sew, did nothing. Then I decided I better do something with the horses and I started to sew again! I know my mom learned to sew using a treadle - but, she'd probably think I was crazy to see me now with 9 treadles in the house and a total of 33 or 34 sewing machines! I would have loved to be able to share this with her.

Nancy
Old 06-28-2011, 05:36 PM

can I tag along?[/quote]

Save room for Nancy and I . Kathie
Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
can I tag along?
Save room for Nancy and I . Kathie[/quote]

The more, the merrier!! :)