Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-21-2011, 04:41 PM

I thank everyone who has been concern about me using WD40 on my Davis for cleaning. I use the WD-40 because we have numerous cans available. My husband stated that I didn't need to use kerosene. Since kerosene is a cancer-causing agent, I didn't want to use it. I know not to use WD-40 as oil on the sewing machine. I only use it to clean the rusty machine parts, and I do not use it to clean off the outside machine. I wipe all the parts off as best as I can after that and then oil extremely well with Singer sewing machine oil (maybe too much). I do not like using harsh chemicals, not even WD40, but I feel that it may be safer to use than kerosene.
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/
What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

Now if anyone knows another product that is safe and works, I would love to try that. I read today that someone used Oxy-clean for cleaning the bobbins and wheels. Has anyone heard of that? or used it?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I thank everyone who has been concern about me using WD40 on my Davis for cleaning. I use the WD-40 because we have numerous cans available. My husband stated that I didn't need to use kerosene. Since kerosene is a cancer-causing agent, I didn't want to use it. I know not to use WD-40 as oil on the sewing machine. I only use it to clean the rusty machine parts, and I do not use it to clean off the outside machine. I wipe all the parts off as best as I can after that and then oil extremely well with Singer sewing machine oil (maybe too much). I do not like using harsh chemicals, not even WD40, but I feel that it is safer to use than kerosene.
http://www.wd40.com/faqs/
What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

Now if anyone knows another product that is safe and works, I would love to try that. I read today that someone used Oxy-clean for cleaning the bobbins and wheels. (I don't think oxy-clean is a safe product either.) Has anyone heard of that? or used it?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM

I have only used Billys cleaning techniques and I have very good results in cleaning my two 66-1 redeye and lotus made in Prussia in 1908. Sometimes I use WD40 for cleaning small items then dry them and oil them. I never had any problem with WD40 getting hard or gunking up my machines.
Glenn
Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM

I double posted. sorry
Old 01-21-2011, 05:00 PM

Nancy, Did you pick up your Free machine today? I liked to see photos.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:17 PM

And then this other area on the bed has tiny bumps in the glaze. I don't want to mess with this. This is very similar to what the finished looked like on my Two Spools bed before cleaning it. I lost the glaze and the decals turned silver when I cleaned it. So, I'm afraid to even touch this area. The one photo is a shot of the upper machine, but please look at the outer edges of the bed to see the raised bumps on the glaze.Sorry that these aren't the best photos.
I would greatly appreciate suggestions as to how to handle this area too.
This is exactly like my machine....dull dirty look and the bumpy glaze!!! Can't believe it! I thought it had just been used alot and then stored and got over heated to "melt and bubble" the glaze. Wow!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
And then this other area on the bed has tiny bumps in the glaze. I don't want to mess with this. This is very similar to what the finished looked like on my Two Spools bed before cleaning it. I lost the glaze and the decals turned silver when I cleaned it. So, I'm afraid to even touch this area. The one photo is a shot of the upper machine, but please look at the outer edges of the bed to see the raised bumps on the glaze.Sorry that these aren't the best photos.
I would greatly appreciate suggestions as to how to handle this area too.
This is exactly like my machine....dull dirty look and the bumpy glaze!!! Can't believe it! I thought it had just been used alot and then stored and got over heated to "melt and bubble" the glaze. Wow!
My Davis has the same bubbles and I have that cloudy look on my 66 after I cleaned it.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Here's the pics!! The Morse Apollo 6400. I just got her in from outside, so she'll have to warm up before I can really check her out.
I think I'll call her Kitty, because she purrs.
Not bad for $20. Can't even eat out for that!
This is beautiful. I love the colored stitch patterns. Makes it a lot easier for the seeing disabled like me, lol.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Ann, I'm curious - what kind of feedback does this seller have?
I haven't heard from the seller since I contacted PayPal.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Ann63
He said when he gets another I am to send the white FW back then he will send me another one. Feeling uneasy about that, I opened a claim with PayPal. The seller has 10 days to respond. I was advised not to do anything with the machine until I hear back from PayPal.
Ann I opened a claim with Paypal also for 2 different Davis Vertical Manuals I bought and never received. They gave the seller 30 days to respond. If the seller doesn't respond within the 30 days, you have to 'escalate" your claim or Paypal assumes it was settled between the two of you. I just 'escalated' my claim against the people advertising the Davis Vertical Feed manuals.

Nancy
They advised me 10 days. I am assuming because I did recieve the machine but it was damaged. The seller indicated that it must have gotten damaged during shipping but I don't see how. It was in a case which had the bottom taped. The shipping box is in great condition, no tears or dents. He stated the machine brought less than expected. I thought that was the point of auction, you never know what amount you are going to get unless to set a reserve price. I not sure what condition a replacement machine would be in if he felt this machine was underpriced.