Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-21-2011, 06:54 PM

[quote=Crossstitcher]
Originally Posted by Randa
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
This is exactly like my machine....dull dirty look and the bumpy glaze!!! Can't believe it! I thought it had just been used alot and then stored and got over heated to "melt and bubble" the glaze. Wow!
My Davis has the same bubbles and I have that cloudy look on my 66 after I cleaned it.
You got the cloudy look on your Singer 66 after you cleaned it?! Eeks, that's not good.
I have been researching most of the day. Treadleon has a post about cleaning and stated this "Some folks like to see an old machine shine like new. If the basic decoration, paint and decals, is good enough, that can be done. " http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...gmachines.html

This is what I think we have to deal with. These machines aren't the easy clean them up deal. The shellac is aged or damaged; so, if we start to clean them we may lose the decals. That is what happened to me with the Two Spools bed area.

Treadleon poster also states that he cleans the outside with oil and then waxes. But doesn't state what the condition of the machines were, which I wish would be stated or shown. My husband has said that cleaning it with oil may be the best way, but he still states I should leave this area alone.

And the paint for the decals looks like it is on top, like the shellac is gone. All of this makes me nervous. I know the machine is clean, just not shiny. So, I may just leave all well enough alone. But those shiny machines are so beautiful to look at and I want my pretty machine to shine too. Help!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 PM

[quote=Randa]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
This is exactly like my machine....dull dirty look and the bumpy glaze!!! Can't believe it! I thought it had just been used alot and then stored and got over heated to "melt and bubble" the glaze. Wow!
When I saw my machine, I recalled your description of your machine.
I think this just happens with age, and some glazes or shellac must have been applied better than others. I keep reading about using this method or that method to clean the machines, and test, test, test is always stated.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:14 PM

You can make the shellac shine again if you are careful. I restore anitiques that oftem has cloudy shellac finish. Take clear shellac on a lint free cloth with a little linseed oil on the cloth as lubricant and rub the surface in a circular motion. This is called french polishing. Google and you will find how to do this. This usually done on furniture but can be adapted to machines. I use it on mine and it will reduce the grazying in the finish by filling in the cracks. It is a little more work after the cleaning but the results is good. Glenn
Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ann63
Originally Posted by redpurselady
Ann, I'm curious - what kind of feedback does this seller have?
I haven't heard from the seller since I contacted PayPal.
What I meant is his feedback rating? I rarely bid on anyone's items that has less than 98% positive rating.

I have a bad vibe about this - wonder if he sent you an already damaged machine. Did you pay with Paypal? Supposedly, they are good about protecting the buyer.

When I got my Red Eye, I contacted the seller prior to shipping to make sure he packed it securely. He wrapped the machine really tightly with bubble wrap and then put it in the wooden case, then wrapping that as well and putting it in a box with peanuts. He did a great job.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Here's the pics!! The Morse Apollo 6400. I just got her in from outside, so she'll have to warm up before I can really check her out.
I think I'll call her Kitty, because she purrs.
Not bad for $20. Can't even eat out for that!
Wow, Kitty is fabulous. I have a new to me machine, too! It was
-10 degrees when I woke up this AM and I seriously thought about skipping the estate sale I had planned to go to. But, sturdy girl that I am, I braved the elements and found a lovely 15-91 in a cabinet with tons of accessories and a buttonholer and manuals for $40.00. I've been wanting a good quilting vintage machine, and as I've had such irritating snafus with my 201-2, this was a good find. Sews beautifully, too. I'm still working on the 201...I'll update with that story going forward.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-165268.jpe   attachment-165269.jpe  
Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 PM

[double post - sorry
Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 PM

What a very nice machine and all the goodies that it came with. You will have fun with this one. Glenn
Old 01-21-2011, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
You can make the shellac shine again if you are careful. I restore anitiques that oftem has cloudy shellac finish. Take clear shellac on a lint free cloth with a little linseed oil on the cloth as lubricant and rub the surface in a circular motion. This is called french polishing. Google and you will find how to do this. This usually done on furniture but can be adapted to machines. I use it on mine and it will reduce the grazying in the finish by filling in the cracks. It is a little more work after the cleaning but the results is good. Glenn
Glenn, thanks for this information. I have never heard of French polishing. I learn new things on this site all the time. I will read up on this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 PM

JanetK, You have a pretty machine and great deal with all those attachments,etc for $40. The 15s are better at FM quilting than the 201s. I do hope you get your 201 fixed because they are excellent machines too.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Nice job on the estate sale - she's a cutie!