Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-30-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Thank you Sharon, Purplefiend, for mentioning the dental floss! My 201 no longer clanks.
Do you just use a square knot to keep it together? How many times do you pass the dental floss through the holes?
I fold about 20" of dental floss in half (now you have 4 strands) and then thread through the needle, then sew through the belt holes about 5-6 times and then tie two
square knots and clip the remaining floss off short so it doesn't get caught on anything along the belt path.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Oh, I still do that. For the Singers, if the tension is in the front it is a 66 class and takes one type of bobbin, and if the tension is on the side it is a 15 class and takes a different type of bobbin. I believe that goes for your Wizard and Kenmore too.

You got an excellent deal all for that price! Enjoy!
Monica, did you get that backwards or am I misunderstanding what you mean? The Model 15 class has a tension disk on the face plate like if you are looking at the face of the machine. The Model 66 has the tension disk on the side of the head of the machine - like right where your nose would be as you watch your stitches from the side -- where most machines have the tension disk.

Nancy
Nope! As you look at the front of the machine, if the tension dial/disk is on the front of the machine it is a 66, and if the tension is on the side (on the face plate) it is a 15 class. That is what I meant.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Wanna see a real barkie? Its a Necchi BU, its in horrible
condition and the seller wants $200! :roll:

http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/2161868441.html

Sharon W.
Well, if you look at the pictures, it looks like someone tried to see if the gunk would come off a little on the top. It looks like maybe it could be cleaned up real pretty.

Nancy
Old 01-30-2011, 05:32 PM

This is my lucky day. My wife came home with a plastic bobbin case with a doz. vintage 66 bobbins. And thanks to Nancy I am now sewing with the 1890 Pathfinder by Davis. Now if I can only find a manual for it someday. Glenn :-D
Old 01-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Several years ago I won an Ebay auction for 35 original class 66 bobbins. :-D Its lovely to have decent bobbins that work as they should in my Singers 201 and 66-18. I found that the metal bobbins sold currently are usually poorly made and don't fit the bobbin winder on my old machines.
Sharon W.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Sharon W.
Well, if you look at the pictures, it looks like someone tried to see if the gunk would come off a little on the top. It looks like maybe it could be cleaned up real pretty.

Nancy
It may clean up nicely, but IMHO the price is much too high.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM

Sharon W.
I just looked at the machine. It may have been in someone's attic or basement for a long time. I think it might clean up well. I would be more concerned with the motor. To much money for the condition I would think. Glenn
Old 01-30-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Thank you Sharon, Purplefiend, for mentioning the dental floss! My 201 no longer clanks.
Do you just use a square knot to keep it together? How many times do you pass the dental floss through the holes?
I tied two knots at the end of thread that was doubled, passed needle through hole in belt then needle through thread to hold that end in place.
Then went through holes four time or until unable to get needle through holes. I then did three double half hitch knots. A bit over kill in the half hitches, but I wanted it to be even on that side.
How to make a half hitch: http://www.cptdave.com/double-half-hitch.html

The dental floss is so much easier to work with than that staple thingy.
Thanks, I have a new belt that I need to put on my first treadle machine. I'd rather do it your way. Do you have a household gadget to make the second hole with?
Old 01-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Several years ago I won an Ebay auction for 35 original class 66 bobbins. :-D Its lovely to have decent bobbins that work as they should in my Singers 201 and 66-18. I found that the metal bobbins sold currently are usually poorly made and don't fit the bobbin winder on my old machines.
Sharon W.
I agree that they work poorly in the bobbin winders. First time I used one, I thought something was wrong with the winder. Only after using the vintage bobbin in the winder, did I realize that it was just the newer bobbin that was the problem.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM

Sharon W.
I have found the the new metal bobbins for 66 made by singer sometimes cause problems. I agree with you the quality is poor so I use only the vintage bobbins in my two 66 singers. Glenn