Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM

[quote=cabbagepatchkid][quote=vintagemotif][quote=cabbagepatchkid]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Thanks, I have a new belt that I need to put on my first treadle machine. I'd rather do it your way. Do you have a household gadget to make the second hole with?
Yeah! A hammer and a nail. :lol:
Old 01-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I talked to my favorite sewing person and about bobbins for my 66. Yes, Nancy I am talking about you. Nancy told me to never use plastic bobbins in it. Singer gave me a phone number of a man who has parts. I called him for missing parts and to order bobbins. He told me to never use metal bobbins and to only use plastic because metal will ruin my machine. I am confused. Any imput from anyone? Kathie
How could he tell you metal would ruin your machine? When they started making the 66 they did not have plastic bobbins? I say use a good quality bobbin, plastic or metal, that works in your machine. I don't use plastic in my 66, but mine is a 1914 machine -- there were no plastic bobbins then.

Miz Johnny, Billy, anyone else have an opinion? I am curious too as I was told to never use plastic bobbins in my 66!

Nancy
The guy is an idiot, Metal bobbins for metal cases and plastic bobbins for the poly cases or newer machines. I can get you the bobbins Singer brand if you need them. PM me and I will fill you in with the details.

Billy
Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=cabbagepatchkid][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Thanks, I have a new belt that I need to put on my first treadle machine. I'd rather do it your way. Do you have a household gadget to make the second hole with?
DUH!!!! :roll: Why didn't I think of that!!!????!!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:52 PM

Billy I saw a tool that is used to install treadle belts. I think it makes the hole a crimps the metal wire. Does is work and worth gettin one? Glenn
Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=cabbagepatchkid][quote=vintagemotif]
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
I keep a small block of wood,an awl made by Clover to poke the hole through the treadle belt; about 1/4" from the end. I first flatten the end that needs the hole with a pair of pliers, so it won't roll as easily . I use 2 clothes pins to hold the belt in while I thread it through the treadle wheel and belt guides.
Sharon W.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 PM

So that is how one does it! I like the idea of flattening the end with pliers, makes life easier. Also like the 2 clothes pin to hold the belt. Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

I got blessed Friday in finding a 201 with nice cabinet for very cheap-- $60! All it really needs is the cord changed out, as I can see some exposed wire near the machine plug in, although it works fine right now. Of course it needs lots of penetrant and then new oil to get it moving smoothly again. But what a find!

Today at a flea market I finally saw a Featherweight in person. Gosh! I couldn't believe how tiny it was... I had thought I would try to find one as a portable machine, but now I don't want one! I would need something a little larger or I'd feel like I was working on a toy. What would be a good little portable-- the Singer 99? I know they aren't the best sewers of the older Singers, but aren't they a 3/4 size machine? How heavy are they?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Glenn
Billy I saw a tool that is used to install treadle belts. I think it makes the hole a crimps the metal wire. Does is work and worth gettin one? Glenn
I dont have one and I am like Vintage I use a hammer and nail.

Billy
Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 PM

Hi, I also think the featherweights are kind of tiny, but that's what makes them so cute! I have what I think is the greatest "little" machine. Weighs very little. I transport it everywhere and it sews like a dream. It's an ELNA Tsp lotus. It has flaps that fold up on 3 sides to serve as it's carrying case and they fold down as a sewing table when you use it. It has straight stitch as well as reverse, zig -zag, and the coolest little retractable bobbin retriever that pulls down to stick in the bobbin hole and lift it out. Love, love , love this machine, also much less expensive than a Singer featherweight. I do, however love my Singers, too, especially my 201-2, but it weighs 10, 000 pounds! :-) I put my iron in the photo so you can see the size comparison.

elna lotus tsp w/ iron
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131622[/ATTACH]

all flaps down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131623[/ATTACH]

flaps fold up for storage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]131624[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-131617.jpe   attachment-131618.jpe   attachment-131619.jpe  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
$595 for a Singer walking foot!!!!! I was on April 1930s site to get a SITD foot for my 301. There was demo for a vintage walking foot. I'm glad I didn't want a 'black penquin'.

They didn't have a rubber replacement wheel for the bobbin filler on my machine listed. I'll call tomorrow. If they don't have one, where do I look next? Mine is very dry and is going to crumble.
Bobbin winder tires are available anywhere you find parts, such as a Singer dealership. I have even found them at places like Walmart. They are very cheap. Let me know if you can't find one.