Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-29-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Absolutely beautiful!! I can't wait to try it!
Me too...my 403 will take 2 needles. I think until I get my hands on the 15-91 that a friends is oh so graciously letting me use however long I want, I am going to play with the double needle decorative stitching & see what I can come up with.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Wine Woman
I'm looking at two Singer treadle machines and the seller gave me the numbers off the front of the machine. Would there be anyway to find out what kind of treadles they are? And they both need belts is there a standard size belt for treadles?
The belts are usually 72" and you cut to fit kind of thing but not all treadles are the same. Sometimes the handwheels will have a different diameter pulley and the belt will either be too long or too short if you use one treadle and just swap machines out in it.

Ask me how I found that one out!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
How do you put the two ends together if you have to cut them? Inquiring minds want to know. Started reading on this site a couple weeks ago, read a couple hundred pages and now starting to jump around and found this.
Wrap it around the two wheels and mark the cutting line. Snip it off and then poke a hole in each end with an awl about quarter or half inch up. Take a piece of paper clip or small hard wire and stick it into each hole and bend over so it looks like a staple when both ends are done. If it's stil too long or slips cut it a bit shorter and repeat the process.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Randa, I have been playing with my Davis NVF and my reserve doesn't work either. I press the button and the foot goes back one stitch and then stops and sews in place. I have better luck making the treadle sew backwards which makes the foot move backwards then when I use the reverse button.

And what is that top lever for above the lever for the foot?
I only have the older manual that I found online.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Here is a really pretty parlor cabinet listed on CL in Stow, MA for $250.00
:http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/atq/2177294808.html

I see them quite often on CL.
I just emailed the seller I hope that I can get it!

Billy
You are quite the lurker, young man!! We all are sitting here wishing we could get that parlor cabinet and here you come putting in a call to get it!!! LOL! Good luck!!
Have you heard from the seller, yet, Billy?
Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Randa, I have been playing with my Davis NVF and my reserve doesn't work either. I press the button and the foot goes back one stitch and then stops and sews in place. I have better luck making the treadle sew backwards which makes the foot move backwards then when I use the reverse button.

This lever is called the"high lift for sewing extremely heavy goods or to sew over heavy seams."
What is the "older manual"?
Interested in a copy of my original one...remember mine is a 1914 model.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
Originally Posted by Wine Woman
I'm looking at two Singer treadle machines and the seller gave me the numbers off the front of the machine. Would there be anyway to find out what kind of treadles they are? And they both need belts is there a standard size belt for treadles?
The belts are usually 72" and you cut to fit kind of thing but not all treadles are the same. Sometimes the handwheels will have a different diameter pulley and the belt will either be too long or too short if you use one treadle and just swap machines out in it.

Ask me how I found that one out!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy
How do you put the two ends together if you have to cut them? Inquiring minds want to know. Started reading on this site a couple weeks ago, read a couple hundred pages and now starting to jump around and found this.
I use large staples but you can sew it together with upholstery thread or sinew.

Billy
Old 01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Have you heard from the seller, yet, Billy?
No not yet, but if I do I will be the first to let you know. I have a friend in the Boston area that can relay the machine to me. I am a member of a Hot Rod Forum called the HAMB and we do relays for large parts and things that we do not trust shippers with. It might take a few months but its free delivery and I know it will be taken very well care of. I have had a few motors and car parts here in my garage storing them between relays so its a fun way to meet new folks and to see cool items as they travel across country.

Billy
Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

This lever is called the"high lift for sewing extremely heavy goods or to sew over heavy seams."
What is the "older manual"?
Interested in a copy of my original one...remember mine is a 1914 model.
This is the only one I have been able to find online.
http://www.ismacs.net/davis/manuals.html

Did you ever get your machine to run backwards?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:09 PM

I did a lot with my double needle on the Elna when my daughters were younger. It was such a nice touch. I sure wouldn't want to try to FMQ with it.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:03 PM

I use large staples but you can sew it together with upholstery thread or sinew.

Billy[/quote]

I use waxed dental floss and a large eyed needle to sew my treadle belts together. I always end up breaking the staple that comes with the belts.
Sharon W.