Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I use large staples but you can sew it together with upholstery thread or sinew.

Billy
I use waxed dental floss and a large eyed needle to sew my treadle belts together. I always end up breaking the staple that comes with the belts.
Sharon W.[/quote]

I bet your machine doesn't have that clang sound from the metal staple hitting the wheel as mine does on my 201 wheel. I should give this a try.
My 201 is still the quietest machine I own even with the staple clang.
Thanks for this tip!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by no1jan
Well I guess I'll start if off. This is my newest acquisition I picked up this last week. I had posted it already, but it deserves to shine on this post.

It a a Singer Model 66-1 Treadle I got off Craigslist for free! :) :) :)

Works beautifully except for the bobbin winder I broke while cleaning her.

Isn't she a beauty. Haven't named her yet. :thumbup:
Wow.. what a beauty you have!! Great paint on it too! I picked up another one yesterday... but the paint is not good.. everything moves... but dang paint. I live in Maine and went down by Boston Mass to get this. The cabinet is great. Only problem is the paint. At $50 I figured I would get it and then decide what to do later. Is there anything to be able to do with missing paint? I'm going to NH today to look at another one.. I know this one is not great but probably will buy it too. The cabinet looks good.. At the very least I can make a table out of it.. Again.. a $50 one. This is an addiction! Have one going on ebay that looks great but dang pics can sure fool you.

The pic below is the one I got yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-161785.jpe  
Old 01-30-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by purplefiend
I use large staples but you can sew it together with upholstery thread or sinew.

Billy
I use waxed dental floss and a large eyed needle to sew my treadle belts together. I always end up breaking the staple that comes with the belts.
Sharon W.
I bet your machine doesn't have that clang sound from the metal staple hitting the wheel as mine does on my 201 wheel. I should give this a try.
My 201 is still the quietest machine I own even with the staple clang.
Thanks for this tip![/quote]

You're absolutely correct! I didn't like that noise from an otherwise nearly silent machine. I have a 201 too, my 1st treadle machine(natural-born hand crank). Always glad to assist. :-D
Sharon W.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
That is my favorite of the traditional Singer Cabinets. I have one waaaayyyy back in a corner of my basement; I sold the parlor cabinet so I could use this one.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:56 AM

And what is that top lever for above the lever for the foot?
I only have the older manual that I found online.[/quote]

I'm looking for a manual for my Davis Low Arm VF. Is that what your manual is???
Old 01-30-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
No not yet, but if I do I will be the first to let you know. I have a friend in the Boston area that can relay the machine to me. I am a member of a Hot Rod Forum called the HAMB and we do relays for large parts and things that we do not trust shippers with. It might take a few months but its free delivery and I know it will be taken very well care of. I have had a few motors and car parts here in my garage storing them between relays so its a fun way to meet new folks and to see cool items as they travel across country.

Billy
Wow, Billy that is so cool that you can relay your large car parts/vintage machines across country like that!

Nancy
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM

I have that cabinet and that machine if it is a Sphinx. I can't tell from your picture for sure, but it looks like the Sphinx.

Anyway, I have the same setup, but my cabinet is getting a top face lift because the veneer is peeling off. Your cabinet looks to be in good shape. My Sphinx is on page 469.

If you are talking about the decals on the machine, there is nothing you can do about the missing spots. Just clean the machine being very careful to perserve what decals you have.

Nancy
Old 01-30-2011, 06:57 AM

Ann63, what happened about the ruined white FW you bought off of E-bay?

Nancy
Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Lostn51
No not yet, but if I do I will be the first to let you know. I have a friend in the Boston area that can relay the machine to me. I am a member of a Hot Rod Forum called the HAMB and we do relays for large parts and things that we do not trust shippers with. It might take a few months but its free delivery and I know it will be taken very well care of. I have had a few motors and car parts here in my garage storing them between relays so its a fun way to meet new folks and to see cool items as they travel across country.

Billy
Wow, Billy that is so cool that you can relay your large car parts/vintage machines across country like that!

Nancy
That is cool! Not meaning to go off topic here but I belong to a Golden Retriever Forum and one member, in Florida, had rescued a senior golden and another member, in Canada, decided to adopt the dog. Members of the forum, all along the east coast, relayed the dog from Florida to Canada over a period of 3 days. It was fun to watch her journey, in real time, as members of the forum posted their pictures of the transfers. We all rejoiced when she got to her new home. The internet is an amazing thing!!

I hope you get the cabinet, Billy. I'm going to email the ad to see if they answer me. I hate it when you answer a CL ad and never receive and answer from the seller.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned

Wow.. what a beauty you have!! Great paint on it too! I picked up another one yesterday... but the paint is not good.. everything moves... but dang paint.
I do a lot of repaints for these machines and the Featherweights and I use only automotive paint for the finish. Its durable you can get any color you can dream about, and the care and upkeep is really simple. Never turn away a machine because it looks like it has seen better days, I have flipped them into some of the prettiest machines out there.

And $50 was a great deal for on in the cabinet that you have!!

Billy<<<who is still longing for the Russian Singer

Here is a 66 that I did a repaint on
[ATTACH=CONFIG]166419[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-166414.jpe