Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 911 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 411 811 861 901 910 911 912 921 961 1011 1411 ... LastLast
Results 22,751 to 22,775 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    [quote=purplefiend][quote=Charlee][quote=quilt addictWhy are all the pretty machines at least 1,500 miles away?? No fair,no fair.!!![/quote]

I know. There just doesn't seem to be any kind of great deals around here. Can find things but nothing in the WOW category. :( :( :(

Well, first off, I love people who lie and tell you they've just sewn on it and it works great. The same thing was told to me about my 301 with missing bobbin case. If they've lied to you once I wouldn't trust a thing out of their mouth. Let it go for sure!

I have an opportunity to get a class 15 handcrank singer. Will this be a good machine for quilting (as opposed to piecing)? Is the space bigger than other vintage machines? I have not seen it yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I worked this weekend on cleaning up my Standard sewing machine in treadle. I picked this one up for free about a month ago. A cute couple were in the Bay Area to oversee a sale of a house, and they needed this machine out of the house quickly. The machine had been the guy's grandmother's machine. He was so happy to see the machine go to someone who would clean it up and use the machine.

After I got the cabinet and machine all cleaned up, I gave it a test drive. Well, at first I couldn't get the machine to pick up the bobbin thread. I looked online for a manual with no avail. My first thought was that the bobbin must not be in correctly. So, I read White rotary manuals, Domestic rotary manuals, and any other rotary manual for a treadle machine that I could find on the internet. The Standard bobbin looks just a wee bit different from the Whites, but not too much difference in technology. I decided that the bobbin wasn't the issue and decided to study the mechanism for picking up the threads. Light bulb went off! I realized that I needed to turn the hand wheel away from me, just like a White. What a Duh moment!!!

Her name is Rose; named after the grandmother.
    She is a sweet machine, and she stitches beautifully!
    She is a real beauty!!

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    Quilt Mom, my 15 has an 8 inch throat. Nice for quilting, but I'm not so sure about handcrank quilting! Would think that to turn the crank and wrestle a quilt would be rather difficult.

I'd get it for piecing tho! :) I love my handcrank!! There's just something about using it for sewing and piecing that is....well...uhmmmm... "cool"?

Blog Entries
    VM! "Rose" is beautiful, and isn't it nice to have the history of the machine? Love it when that happens!! :)

Banned
    Rose is a really good looking machine!! I admit I am drawn to the Standard machines just because of their history and they sew so well. I have 2 right now both 1870's models one is a badged machine for FC Henderson (an authorized dealer for Standard and major stock holder) and a full size machine like yours.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
    Look what I found on Craigslist in Dallas. She asked $50, but when I talked to her, she said she would take $40 because it wasn't a machine you could really sew on. These are before pictures. She needs a good oiling, but I don't think she will need a full kerosene spa treatment.
    If this Dallas 100 + degree weather ever goes away, I'll be cleaning machines for weeks.

Texas Jan :-D
    She looks very much like my Lotus...only mine was originally treadled and had a modern motor on it. We took the motor off and put her back in a treadle cabinet I got. Aren't they wonderful!! I love that you found a HC Lotus!! Very nice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231
    Picked this up this morning at the local SA store. T
    Lee that's a great looking machine!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend
    I was sewing flying geese units for a double sawtooth star yesterday and sewed 2 blocks without any bobbin thread.
    :shock:
    :shock: I HATE IT when that happens!!! :thumbdown:

Banned
    Speaking of running out of bobbin thread I have a Chain Stitch attachment for the 15's that you do not even need to use a bobbin. I have never used it before but I might give it a try for the heck of it.

Billy

Hi Billy, what happened to the site to check the year your machine was born on the Singer site??? unless I'm doing something wrong it has disappeared from the site. the serial # I'm trying to research is AC163006 it's a 66. Help! Anne

Blog Entries
    Billy, I've sent you a PM.

Jan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Hi Billy, what happened to the site to check the year your machine was born on the Singer site??? unless I'm doing something wrong it has disappeared from the site. the serial # I'm trying to research is AC163006 it's a 66. Help! Anne
    Anne I made them take it down. :lol: Actually here is the good link to it.....

http://www.singerco.com/admin-suppor...serial-numbers

But your machine was allotted on May 22 1928 with 35,000 machines in that run.

Billy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jpete523
    Billy, I've sent you a PM.

Jan
    Okay I am heading there now!

Billy

Thank You Billy, It's not so much the machine it's the accessories and the cabinet. I may want to have some fun with the machine...like painting it or using it for a door stop. Anne

Blog Entries
    I worked this weekend on cleaning up my Standard sewing machine in treadle. I picked this one up for free about a month ago. A cute couple were in the Bay Area to oversee a sale of a house, and they needed this machine out of the house quickly. The machine had been the guy's grandmother's machine. He was so happy to see the machine go to someone who would clean it up and use the machine.

After I got the cabinet and machine all cleaned up, I gave it a test drive. Well, at first I couldn't get the machine to pick up the bobbin thread. I looked online for a manual with no avail. My first thought was that the bobbin must not be in correctly. So, I read White rotary manuals, Domestic rotary manuals, and any other rotary manual for a treadle machine that I could find on the internet. The Standard bobbin looks just a wee bit different from the Whites, but not too much difference in technology. I decided that the bobbin wasn't the issue and decided to study the mechanism for picking up the threads. Light bulb went off! I realized that I needed to turn the hand wheel away from me, just like a White. What a Duh moment!!!

Monica, that is one really nice setup you got for 'freeeee!'

Have you run out of room yet? I have for sure - at least for treadles. I am not sure where I am going to put the three that are still sitting in the garage - 2 of which are getting a face lift!

Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace

I'll look for burrs in the morning. How do I clean the tension disc? Do I need to completely disassemble the tension? Thanks, Billy.
    There are several diagrams of the tension assembly to make it easy to reassemble it.

Here's one that Billy put up some time ago.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115080-2.htm#3079066

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict
    Many new converts to Vintage Machine Rescue addiction, oops I meant collecting.

;-)
    There is a new TV show starting tonight called "My Collection Obsession" . It is on TLC channel at 10:00pm eastern time. It will be interesting to see what types of things that people collect. I saw a preview and one guy collects vacuum cleaners :-D .
    It was interesting, but the lady with the dolls was kinda scary!! And the gal with the miniature shoes collection? WOW!!! She is one of those high-price dreamers!! LOL The vacuums kid was fun...he knows how to work on them and everything!! The guys with Dolly Parton stuff were just cute...celebrity worship at it's most outrageous!!! LOL

I guess our form of machine addiction is not too far removed from those people, but I don't see anyone here going to those extremes!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare
    I found this on CL,
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/atq/2558499406.html
    The prices seem high, the machines look very nice.
    I like the 185J, but $150 seems high. What do you all think?
    Yes, that's very high. You can get them on eBay for far less.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Really? It looks to me like something important is missing. LOL!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2558740420.html
    It's an invisible machine :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

But the cabinet might be worth that price even without a machine.
    I'd pay that for a cabinet. In fact, I paid $75 for the cabinet and irons I got for my 66 Lotus. But it was a really nice mahogany cabinet that was nearly perfect and did not need any work at all.

Blog Entries

Rose is beautiful. Isn't it fun when you get these old ladies running? My Lotus is just so fun. I oiled the treadle mechanism this weekend and I'll give her a run some time this week to see if it goes faster.

Blog Entries
    Nanamoms, so sorry for your experience. A few months ago I bought my first 301A. As a matter of course, I asked her if she had sewn on it.. yes, she told me of all of the items she had made for her grandkids.

Well, when I started to sew on it, the needle kept falling out. She had it in the machine backwards. Now, how could she have sewn with it if she didn't know the correct way to put the needle in?

I would have purchased it even if she hadn't sewn on it. So, I was left wondering why she felt she had to lie! :roll:

I found a find today, I think. I was banging around in a thrift store I'd never been in before (I'm at home with my dad while he recovers) and found a Pfaff 130. In a cabinet, door with two shelves on one side, four drawers on the other, and a stool that fits under and makes it look like solid furniture. it's got all of its accessories, plus the manual, I think-the one drawer I can't opn more than half an inch or so has shiny paper in it. All of the parts move, mostly. It needs a good oiling and fuzz-busting.

For $30.

Is this as big a find as I think it is? The ones on ebay are going for stupid money (there's a pic of the same cabinet currently listed, if you're iinterested), but that's not always an acurate gauge. It's going to be a righteous undertaking to get this behemoth in my Vue.

Anybody got any opinions on the subject? I'm currently waiting for my osmg to call me back, too.

Blog Entries
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGER-FEATH...item3cbb224407

Listing on ebay. Seller says the "internal arm belt is broken" but he has a replacement. Is this a hard fix? Only 7 hours to go and no one has bid on it. I was thinking about emailing and making him an offer.

Whatcha think?