Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 913 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 413 813 863 903 912 913 914 923 963 1013 1413 ... LastLast
Results 22,801 to 22,825 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Don't ask me why, but I have been admiring the little Singer 185 for a while now. I found one on CL and after a long drive today I now own one in very good condition. The case is a bit scruffy, but I can live with that. I'm too tired to mess with her tonight, so I'll have to download a manual and check her stitches tomorrow. Is there anything I need to know about her? BTW her name is Julie, after the owner's mom, and also my GGM.

Darren

Still has the price on it - $20
    Name:  Attachment-245542.jpe
Views: 77
Size:  36.4 KB

The pedal doesn't even look used
    Name:  Attachment-245543.jpe
Views: 82
Size:  26.4 KB

Included a box of attachments for a Ward
    Name:  Attachment-245544.jpe
Views: 89
Size:  45.5 KB

You can't really see all the scuffs in the pic
    Name:  Attachment-245545.jpe
Views: 83
Size:  32.3 KB

Blog Entries
    LOL :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Chris_Quilts, you are funny, but I bet we all feel the same as you!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pennijanine
    LOL :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Chris_Quilts, you are funny, but I bet we all feel the same as you!!
    I think we all have a sense that something big is being lost forever and we are merely the curators doing our best to preserve - THAT is a far cry from being some purposeless hoarder.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    Don't ask me why, but I have been admiring the little Singer 185 for a while now. I found one on CL and after a long drive today I now own one in very good condition. The case is a bit scruffy, but I can live with that. I'm too tired to mess with her tonight, so I'll have to download a manual and check her stitches tomorrow. Is there anything I need to know about her? BTW her name is Julie, after the owner's mom, and also my GGM.

Darren
    very cool. Enjoy that little buggar.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    You all will be proud of me. The grub screw holes in my Singer 319 somehow stripped out when I removed the screws to take the machine out of the table I refinished. I bought a new thread tapping die at Lowes and made new threads in the holes and bought matching screws....not original of course, but it's in the table and works. Woohoo! I was kind of sweating this one and was worried I'd really mess it up. I gave my 319 a kerosene bath today which cleaned it up some what.
    Good for you Candance! Have you posted pictures yet?

Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict
    You all will be proud of me. The grub screw holes in my Singer 319 somehow stripped out when I removed the screws to take the machine out of the table I refinished. I bought a new thread tapping die at Lowes and made new threads in the holes and bought matching screws....not original of course, but it's in the table and works. Woohoo! I was kind of sweating this one and was worried I'd really mess it up. I gave my 319 a kerosene bath today which cleaned it up some what.
    Of the machine and refinished table, but not together. I tried sewing on the 319 and the bobbin thread won't pick up which is scaring me that it needs a timing adjustment:<

Blog Entries
    Of the machine and refinished table, but not together. I tried sewing on the 319 and the bobbin thread won't pick up which is scaring me that it needs a timing adjustment:<
    is the needle hitting the foot? Does the thread catch at all? If the thread it catching it probably is a burr on the hook. Timing isn't the end of the earth if you have instructions
    try it with a new needle
    someone posted this video a while ago - it is very helpful
    for timing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHhlHbUYwV8

Alright Billy, don't know what I am doing wrong. 2nd machine go through the spa treatment and another broken part. When I took the bobbin winder assembly out of the kerosine soak for a day there was a crack in the body.

Do you happen to have a replacement one in your parts? It is stamped with the number 47.

If you want to send the whole assemly I am okay with that and I will send you my carcass and parts off of it.

Thanks Lisa,

P.S. Keep relaxing and staying cool! Thanks for the new link to the Singer site.

Part #47 cracked during cleaning
    Name:  Attachment-245575.jpe
Views: 85
Size:  34.8 KB

Singer 66, before picture
    Name:  Attachment-245577.jpe
Views: 76
Size:  42.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I wonder if you could take it to a weld shop and have it repaired

I understand the reluctance of letting go of some of our machines. My SIL wanted to borrow a machine to learn to sew on earlier this week. I tried to talk myself in to letting her borrow a 15 clone, or something else vintage, but instead she got an Elna Elnita 250 that I got from a pawn shop 15+ years ago for $30. My "babies" are mostly gifts or hand me downs. My DH wanted to know why she got that machine, and I said it is a good one for any fabric, and does lots of stuff. It is actually the one I keep heavy dutied up for letter jackets and such. She wanted to hem pants, etc. so I figured it would work good for her.

You do have the right needle? 206x13 is the number I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare
    Can anyone tell me about this machine.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2559299032.html
    Thank you
    Seems Brandt said all about this machine in the CLs write-up.

It's a cute little "Lark", but this machine just doesn't sing for me, even at $25.

Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    I understand the reluctance of letting go of some of our machines. My SIL wanted to borrow a machine to learn to sew on earlier this week. I tried to talk myself in to letting her borrow a 15 clone, or something else vintage, but instead she got an Elna Elnita 250 that I got from a pawn shop 15+ years ago for $30. My "babies" are mostly gifts or hand me downs. My DH wanted to know why she got that machine, and I said it is a good one for any fabric, and does lots of stuff. It is actually the one I keep heavy dutied up for letter jackets and such. She wanted to hem pants, etc. so I figured it would work good for her.
    This I can relate to. A coworker mentioned that she was sewing by hand and needed to get a machine to sew some pillows on. I offered to loan her my 2 year old kenmore. I am taking it to work today. She will get some lessons on threading and oiling along with the manual.
    The vintage babies are more valuable (not financially speaking) to me!
    :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare
    Can anyone tell me about this machine.
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2559299032.html
    Thank you
    Seems Brandt said all about this machine in the CLs write-up.

It's a cute little "Lark", but this machine just doesn't sing for me, even at $25.
    I don't know ..... she's a little cutie and I would snap her up for $25. The only concern I would have (assuming everything works correctly) is the fact that once a treadle is electrified you can no longer utilize the bobbin winder (unless there is a way to do it that I don't know about).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    Don't ask me why, but I have been admiring the little Singer 185 for a while now. I found one on CL and after a long drive today I now own one in very good condition. The case is a bit scruffy, but I can live with that. Darren
    You will like this lttle one. The base seems to be in pretty good condition, which is rare for these machines.

Yes, the right needle, but the bobbin thread isn't picking up. I don't know when I'll have time to mess with it. I start night class tonight and I've been messing with this machine and my 301 for over a week to get them running!

Does anyone know what year this machine is? i can't find one on the internet anywhere like this. how much it might be worth?

Does anyone know what year this machine is? i can't find one on the internet anywhere like this. how much it might be worth?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Yes, the right needle, but the bobbin thread isn't picking up. I don't know when I'll have time to mess with it. I start night class tonight and I've been messing with this machine and my 301 for over a week to get them running!
    You might try taking apart the throat plate then try putting it all back together as seen in your owner's manual sometimes that helps a 301 - maybe your 319 has to go a certain way, too. If the needle, thread and shuttle ARE engaging at all it is NOT timing - it could be a burr. (If you open up the throat plate & take off the feed dogs it is easier to watch the thread and the needle closely.) There has been discussion on here about burrs. Does the thread pass through the tension way too tight? If the hook misses the needle's eye it would be timing. If the needle is the wrong length - size matters - some of the machines take a different from normal length needle and they won't work at all. If the needle is in backwards it won't work. If the needle is threaded the wrong direction it won't work. If the tension is too tight it won't work right - same as too loose. This video can help you know if it is timing. I think the part where he tested it is where I would start with your machine.

Thanks, Miriam but I think it's the timing. I will watch the video because although I've sent them to the shop in the past I think I'm ready to tackle it myself. The only other thing I can think of is that this machine has been "retimed" to take standard needles, not the 206 x 13 it's supposed to use. I've just spent a small fortune on these needles so darn it, I want to use them!

Blog Entries
    Vintage sewing machine not stitching - very generic tutorial

Does it need a new needle? That is usually the quickest easiest cheapest fix. Change the needle... some times we hit pins or sometimes people pull the material through the machine and the needle bends. Sometimes needles get dull? When was the last time it was changed?
    Make sure the needle is in all the way

Try this first. Take apart the throat plate then try putting it all back together as seen in your owner's manual sometimes that helps a 301 - maybe your 319, 221, 401, what ever has to go a certain way - so make it go the way the manual shows
    Make sure the hole lines up with the needle - nothing crooked...
    (While you are in there clean out the lint and oil the machine - some times that can be the cause of your skipped stitches)
    here is one I found and it is well said http://sewing-machine-troubleshootin...-Stitches.html

Look at your upper thread. Is it catching on the little notch on the spool? Turn it over and see if that helps...

completely unthread and rethread the machine
    Is the thread in the tension in correct position between the disks?
    check to see if the bobbin thread is correctly threaded through the bobbin holder
    is the bobbin worn out? warped? the correct bobbin for the machine?

Is the needle is the wrong length? size matters - a few of the vintage machines take a different from normal length needle and the machine won't work.
    Check the owner's manual and double check your needle size
    Check to see if you have the correct needle diameter for the fabric you are using. Smaller needle number for light weight fabric
    Larger needle number for heavy weight fabric.
    Does the needle size match your thread size?
    If the needle is put in backwards it won't work - the owner's manual should show how it goes
    Make sure the needle is threaded in the correct direction. - it usually goes through the groove side first
    The curve side of the needle goes toward the bobbin so the shuttle can pass and grab the thread
    Is the tension is too tight? too loose? (See your manual for that)

If that doesn't work open up the throat plate and take off the feed dogs. It is easier to watch the thread and needle closely.
    Does the needle, thread and shuttle engage? If so it is not timing. If it engages but does not complete the cycle it may be a burr. Burrs happen. You can smooth up the burr with some emery cloth.
    You can feel a burr with your fingers. You can see a burr. You can take a piece of thread and 'floss' through there until it hangs up on the burr

I had a machine buggered up and the thread kept breaking - the tension was full of lint and dried oil

Do you have "help" When you aren't looking do kids/GKs mess with the machine?

If the hook misses the needle's eye it could be timing.
    I had a machine that the needle hit the foot and broke every time. It plagued me for months trying to figure it out. Finally I swapped the needle bar for one from a donor machine. SO it was a bent needle shaft.
    Sewing on really heavy material can bend your needle shaft. Just because the people selling a vintage machine say it can, doesn't mean your machine was intended to sew on that heavy stuff all the time.

This video can help you know if it is timing. I think the part where he tested it is where I would start to test to see if it is messed up timing.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Miriam but I think it's the timing. I will watch the video because although I've sent them to the shop in the past I think I'm ready to tackle it myself. The only other thing I can think of is that this machine has been "retimed" to take standard needles, not the 206 x 13 it's supposed to use. I've just spent a small fortune on these needles so darn it, I want to use them!
    Timing isn't all that hard to do and you may be right someone may have messed with it. If you can get it where it belongs I'm sure it will sew best. A repair manual is comforting to have around but that video is the BOMB!!!! I love it. I wish I had seen it 15 years ago when I first needed it instead of trial and lots or error and no manual...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hpinney211
    Probably $25 is my guess. The head is pretty worn.
    Tommie

Blog Entries

Try turning the needle around. I had the same problem with my 66, and after I turned the needle around it worked perfect!! More than just me had that same issue...very common error to make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tomilu
    Quote Originally Posted by hpinney211
    Probably $25 is my guess. The head is pretty worn.
    Tommie
    It is amazing what you can find for $25 on CL! If that one doesn't do it look around.