Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1411 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 411 911 1311 1361 1401 1410 1411 1412 1421 1461 1511 ... LastLast
Results 35,251 to 35,275 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #35251
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    In reply to the use of tri-flow on machines. Miriam has good luck with it but I prefer not to use anything with silicon on my machines. I very seldom use kerosene I use Blast buster and then once free use sewing machine oil or clock oil which is very nuch the same as fine sperm whale oil. I guess I am from the old school and use what is recomended. Tri-flow is a lubricant and was I don't think intended to unfreeze gummed up parts but hey if it works go for it. Be aware the silicon will build up also and become like glass. We would never use it in the Army on hig tech stuff. This is just my thought on the matter. It is a matter of choice. Miriam and I talk a little about this during her and Phil's visit here and this is the only thing we do different. Boy I wish I had her skill with these old machines she is good.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  2. #35252
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by path49 View Post
    A die would be great! I just use scissors & mine turned out great....but I'm such a perfectionist that I'll piddle around with 1 for an hour till I'm happy with it!!! I've pushed a 1" metal tube into the felt to get an indentation & used that for a guide...or traced around a small thread spool. But stamping them out would be so much easier! And like Joe said, I'll bet you could sell them...I've had several people ask where I got mine!
    I'm considering it! I'd have to find some good quality felt locally. I'd love them to actually match the body color of my machines so they blend in. But, yes, Joe has the idea about the colors. If I had a red machine it would be great, but I'd love some that actually didn't stand out so much. I'll have to see what kind of felt product I can find and how much it would cost etc. etc.

    I am perfectionist too and would rather pay a little for something than have it be all wonky and take an hour to do!

  3. #35253
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I'm considering it! I'd have to find some good quality felt locally. I'd love them to actually match the body color of my machines so they blend in. But, yes, Joe has the idea about the colors. If I had a red machine it would be great, but I'd love some that actually didn't stand out so much. I'll have to see what kind of felt product I can find and how much it would cost etc. etc.

    I am perfectionist too and would rather pay a little for something than have it be all wonky and take an hour to do!
    So, why don't you all just crochet some of the little thread spool pin doillies that Glenn posted a pattern for a while back? I know Janis, Kathie, and probably a whole lot of other people make them! That way you can make them to match each machine - besides, they are so much cuter than the red felt thingys!

    Nancy

  4. #35254
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    a Pfaff 260 climbed in my car and followed me home... it has a flat bed - awkward bobbin - two belts - cleat type - needs a good clean up but seems like it will be a tank - maybe interesting to see the designs it can make - interesting place to put the motor - it's on the bottom - the machine is very dirty on the outside - inside looks like it was serviced at some point then parked for a while - don't know about the wiring
    I will find the link to the manual that someone here sent me. It has the 230/260 in the same one. I have the 230 and it came with the best fmq hopping foot I have. It is about the fastest machine I have, and is probably because it has the embroidery unit built into it. In my mind, it is similar to a singer 319, which seems fast for the same reason.
    Melinda

  5. #35255
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    So, why don't you all just crochet some of the little thread spool pin doillies that Glenn posted a pattern for a while back? I know Janis, Kathie, and probably a whole lot of other people make them! That way you can make them to match each machine - besides, they are so much cuter than the red felt thingys!

    Nancy
    Because I don't like the look of crocheted doilies. Not my thing at all.

  6. #35256
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    I will find the link to the manual that someone here sent me. It has the 230/260 in the same one. I have the 230 and it came with the best fmq hopping foot I have. It is about the fastest machine I have, and is probably because it has the embroidery unit built into it. In my mind, it is similar to a singer 319, which seems fast for the same reason.
    Strange, but I've found 319's to be the slowest machines I have.

  7. #35257
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    for $100 you would think it would be cleaned and ready to sew
    I agree with Miriam, for $100 it should be all shined up and ready to sew!

    Nancy

  8. #35258
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Strange, but I've found 319's to be the slowest machines I have.
    Geeze Candace, I have noticed the same thing about my 319w, but I thought that was just because I treadle it? I love that machine, but it is slow.

    Nancy

  9. #35259
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Strange, but I've found 319's to be the slowest machines I have.

    Mine will run like a house afire. I would not let my nieces sew with it because it was so fast and I feared it would run away with them and over their little fingers.
    Melinda

  10. #35260
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Geeze Candace, I have noticed the same thing about my 319w, but I thought that was just because I treadle it? I love that machine, but it is slow.

    Nancy
    I even cleaned the motor and brushes on mine because, I thought it was causing or contributing to it being slow, and it didn't do anything for the speed of the machine. It's a great machine, but would certainly lose a race.

  11. #35261
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    a Pfaff 260 climbed in my car and followed me home... it has a flat bed - awkward bobbin - two belts - cleat type - needs a good clean up but seems like it will be a tank - maybe interesting to see the designs it can make - interesting place to put the motor - it's on the bottom - the machine is very dirty on the outside - inside looks like it was serviced at some point then parked for a while - don't know about the wiring
    Miriam, what color is the 260? Grey or green?

    Nancy

  12. #35262
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Mine will run like a house afire. I would not let my nieces sew with it because it was so fast and I feared it would run away with them and over their little fingers.
    Wow Melinda, I will have to run the 306w that is still sitting here to see if it sews fast or slow - since they are basically the same thing! I never had a motor on my 319w to see how it sews with a motor, but as a treadle it is pretty slow! I thought the slow speed was just because of the straight leg treadle it is sitting in?

    Nancy

  13. #35263
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    http://s2.vsmgroup.com/VSM/Pfaff/pfaffmanual.nsf and look for the one you need. Some kind soul on this board pointed me this direction when I got my Pfaff.
    Melinda

  14. #35264
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Coydog is a coyote dog cross. Kylee was half Siberian and half coyote. Mia Joy was 3/4 Siberian and 1/4 wolf. What a joy she was, too. Where? A housing development on the edge in the Manistee National Forest, but within the city limits of town. I am three streets in. The bear was two streets in at 7:15 in the evening. I know we share the area in the night, but I wish they'd stay in the woods during the day. I actually was more apprehensive when I met a wild coyote at 9:00 one evening with the two dogs I have now. Coyotes are so unpredictable.
    Irishrose, how did you end up with two half wild dogs? One half coyote, one half wolf? My mother had a coyote pet when she was a little girl. She raised an orphaned coyote pup. I would also be more afraid of the coyotes with your dogs than the bear. I have met several coyotes out riding . . . they don't care how close I get on horseback. I also have seen a couple mountain lions, several bobcats, and foxes, but I don't take my dogs along! They'd probably be coyote dinner! Actually, when out riding alone I am more afraid of the dogs I run into then the wild animals! I sure wouldn't want to run into you and your dogs! I patrol Folsom Lake State Park horseback . . . we have had several incidents with people's pet dogs going after horses and people!

    Nancy

  15. #35265
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Wow Melinda, I will have to run the 306w that is still sitting here to see if it sews fast or slow - since they are basically the same thing! I never had a motor on my 319w to see how it sews with a motor, but as a treadle it is pretty slow! I thought the slow speed was just because of the straight leg treadle it is sitting in?

    Nancy
    Let me know if I am crazy or not. Mine seems fast. I dragged it out to be sure, and it is fast to me. I just figure with all the ebroidery mechanisms built in, it would have to be faster straight stitching, or really slow doing decorative stitching. That is my logic anyway. And not scientific, other than side by side comparisons with other machines.
    Melinda

  16. #35266
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Wow Melinda, I will have to run the 306w that is still sitting here to see if it sews fast or slow - since they are basically the same thing! I never had a motor on my 319w to see how it sews with a motor, but as a treadle it is pretty slow! I thought the slow speed was just because of the straight leg treadle it is sitting in?

    Nancy
    Here's a video... kind of long. But, my machine is just as fast as this and is not what I consider to be fast compared especially to my 401, Elnas and other vintage machines. I guess it's what you have to compare to or are used to. The motor on the 319 is only .5(I think) which is a pretty weak motor.

    For example, I did a serpentine stitch on my binding on the 319 last week and it was slooooow. I did the same stitch on my Elna 62C and it was probably twice as fast.

    http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...cglp3a&newfp=1
    Last edited by Candace; 06-03-2012 at 03:37 PM.

  17. #35267
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Miriam, what color is the 260? Grey or green?

    Nancy
    It looks gray under all the gummy stuff
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  18. #35268
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    http://s2.vsmgroup.com/VSM/Pfaff/pfaffmanual.nsf and look for the one you need. Some kind soul on this board pointed me this direction when I got my Pfaff.
    Melinda, I would be sssssoooooo doing the happy dance if I could make it print out.
    Ok I got it to work!!! NOW I'm doing the happy dance!!!
    Last edited by miriam; 06-03-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  19. #35269
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Here's a video... kind of long. But, my machine is just as fast as this and is not what I consider to be fast compared especially to my 401, Elnas and other vintage machines. I guess it's what you have to compare to or are used to. The motor on the 319 is only .5(I think) which is a pretty weak motor.

    For example, I did a serpentine stitch on my binding on the 319 last week and it was slooooow. I did the same stitch on my Elna 62C and it was probably twice as fast.

    http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...cglp3a&newfp=1
    Maybe Singer was afraid to put a fast motor on it for fear it wouldn't do a good job on the fancy stitches? It wouldn't be hard to tack on a hefty motor though. I haven't done much with mine. I got it cleaned up and put some kind of motor from another machine on it and I do know it runs. I did not like it for free motion - I felt too cramped. I'm wondering if I would like one of the high shank Kenmores for finger room better.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  20. #35270
    Super Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Mine will run like a house afire. I would not let my nieces sew with it because it was so fast and I feared it would run away with them and over their little fingers.
    My 319 was very fast with the motor installed. I only use mine now as a treadle a find it is a little slow doing the decorative stitches but straight stitch is just as fast as my other treadles. But for me it is fast enough.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

  21. #35271
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    My 319 was very fast with the motor installed. I only use mine now as a treadle a find it is a little slow doing the decorative stitches but straight stitch is just as fast as my other treadles. But for me it is fast enough.
    I seem to go slow on the decorative stitches anyway.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  22. #35272
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Here's a video... kind of long. But, my machine is just as fast as this and is not what I consider to be fast compared especially to my 401, Elnas and other vintage machines. I guess it's what you have to compare to or are used to. The motor on the 319 is only .5(I think) which is a pretty weak motor.

    For example, I did a serpentine stitch on my binding on the 319 last week and it was slooooow. I did the same stitch on my Elna 62C and it was probably twice as fast.

    http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...cglp3a&newfp=1

    Well, I guess I just straight stitch with mine, so far anyway, and it is plenty fast for me. I think it is how it is geared, relative to cars and such, not the size of the motor. I would think it would be geared to go fast with the decorative stitches to compete back in the day, so more fast just straight running. My thought only, and I have a few machines to compare it to. LOL Ms. Miriam is fast, but straight stitch only. I guess I don't have the technical expertise to even explain what I think, like rpms or stitches per second or however we would measure the speed of a sewing machine. Anyway, Miriam will like the Pfaff when she gets it torqued up, or triflowed, or whatever her choice is. Mine does fmq best of all my machines. Yes, better than 53 others.
    Melinda

  23. #35273
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
    Well, I guess I just straight stitch with mine, so far anyway, and it is plenty fast for me. I think it is how it is geared, relative to cars and such, not the size of the motor. I would think it would be geared to go fast with the decorative stitches to compete back in the day, so more fast just straight running. My thought only, and I have a few machines to compare it to. LOL Ms. Miriam is fast, but straight stitch only. I guess I don't have the technical expertise to even explain what I think, like rpms or stitches per second or however we would measure the speed of a sewing machine. Anyway, Miriam will like the Pfaff when she gets it torqued up, or triflowed, or whatever her choice is. Mine does fmq best of all my machines. Yes, better than 53 others.
    I have never seen one with the motor on the very bottom of the machine. I haven't cleaned it enough to run it yet. My stuff is in the shop and we are doing other things today. I did wipe off the exterior goo and oil it a bit. My understanding was that the Triflow turns to powder when it gets old rather than turn gummy. So far my best FM is on one of my 15 clones - a Commander (Sears) I have other clones that aren't as sweet for FM - go figure - they ARE clones.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  24. #35274
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Miriam,

    "My understanding was that the Triflow turns to powder when it gets old rather than turn gummy. "

    Just for my curiosity, where you come by this info? I use and like the Tri-Flow oil.

    Joe

  25. #35275
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    I think I saw that on Sew Classic a long time ago - I know bikes use it as well - Ray White peddles it too and Cathy uses it too.
    I just looked on Sew-classic but couldn't find it. If you use anything it might be a good idea to google search and make up your own mind - I learned a lot a few minutes ago...
    Last edited by miriam; 06-03-2012 at 05:10 PM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.