Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1461 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 461 961 1361 1411 1451 1460 1461 1462 1471 1511 1561 ... LastLast
Results 36,501 to 36,525 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #36501
    Senior Member sew wishful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    846
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thank you all for the hugs and well wishes to my sis....she had surgery several weeks ago, went through about two weeks of being "out of it" (remembers nothing of that time and it was horrible with hallucinations, family misunderstandings, etc.) and is finally feeling some better. Pain was excruciating and she refused pain meds, to which she blamed the above on. She's mending, had radiation but refused chemotherapy. So time will tell her outcome, but she's just so full of crafting information and wants to share with someone (just in case) and since her daughters aren't interested she shares it with me! LOL! We have a ball when we are together and am trying to spend one full day a month with her, gleaning all she has to give!! We have no time restraints on our day together. We do all we can until we are ready to fall. LOL! Thanks again, and your prayers will be welcomed and needed in the months to come.
    And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28


    Randa

  2. #36502
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    I thought this was interesting, the machine and cabinet are beautiful!!
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/art/3119073521.html
    Yep it is beautiful but I'd bet money it is a modern repro! At one time Billy was going to import and sell those repros! It would be pretty as an ornament, but they are not made well and won't hold up!

    Nancy

  3. #36503
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Metal frame. Big deal, even the WalMart Brothers have a metal frame. Otherwise, they'd all just collapse into a puddle of goo. :>
    John, I saw my friends anniversary model- they call it Darth Vador - and I saw no metal, but I didn't examine the underside or inside. The outside is all plastic and lots and lots of plastic to make the bed so large and rounded!

    Nancy

  4. #36504
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful View Post
    Thank you all for the hugs and well wishes to my sis....she had surgery several weeks ago, went through about two weeks of being "out of it" (remembers nothing of that time and it was horrible with hallucinations, family misunderstandings, etc.) and is finally feeling some better. Pain was excruciating and she refused pain meds, to which she blamed the above on. She's mending, had radiation but refused chemotherapy. So time will tell her outcome, but she's just so full of crafting information and wants to share with someone (just in case) and since her daughters aren't interested she shares it with me! LOL! We have a ball when we are together and am trying to spend one full day a month with her, gleaning all she has to give!! We have no time restraints on our day together. We do all we can until we are ready to fall. LOL! Thanks again, and your prayers will be welcomed and needed in the months to come.
    What precious, special time! Also a good reminder that we should all be spending time with our siblings/family when we can, and if we don't have time, we need to MAKE time! I lost a sister in January, and while actually spending time in each other's company wasn't possible (she was in Ohio, I'm in Oregon), I could have called more....I will always regret that I didn't. The same thing happened with a dear aunt that I lost in April....

    Randa, you'll both be in my prayers!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  5. #36505
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    Nancy,

    Underneath that obese plastic shell is a skeletonized aluminum frame. It's made from recycled beer cans I think. I have a Singer 3810 and had to pull the shell off of it to fix the bobbin winder clutch thing and that is what I found. I neglected to take pics of it though. Just wanted it fixed and off my bench.

    Darth Vader is an appropriate name for it though. I'd like to put one through a do or die torture test. IE, give it to my wife and tell her to use it like you do the Bernina. I wonder how quick it would die?

    Joe

  6. #36506
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Way Cool!! So, of course I had to google Flying Man Sewing machine and take a look at the links to the images. I found some interesting blogs with photos of bloggers' machines.

    I looked at a link for the image of the Flying Man logo and this is what I found: Shanghai Flyingman Industrial Sewing Machine Co., Ltd. is one of the earliest company in China to produce sewing machine, which produce sewing machine more than seventy years.

    That logo image is on the treadle peddle. On the machine and in the logo is the character for person (looks like an up-side-down Y). So, my guess is the rest of the characters are for flying.

    If I only had a basement...
    I don't have a basement and the garage is full. Oh what is one to do?? Hmmm. Son lives in San Jose, I wonder if I could start collecting long distance? I don't think his garage is full. Wheels are turning in brain. Gonna call him and see if he want to go on a mission. Pretty bad, huh? But I really like that sewing machine.
    Sweet Caroline

  7. #36507
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    8,105
    I like it too. My garage is full, my house is full, there's a sewing machine cabinet, a kitchen table, and a coffee table on the front porch .......... I got room for it, ha ha , too bad it's sooooo very far away.

    Hmmm, my brother is in Costa Mesa ............. I wonder ??

    Joe

  8. #36508
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Yep it is beautiful but I'd bet money it is a modern repro! At one time Billy was going to import and sell those repros! It would be pretty as an ornament, but they are not made well and won't hold up!
    I agree; its beauty is only skin-deep. (Wouldn't be surprised if the parlor cabinet is made of particle board.)

    pat (home from vacation, but will never catch up.)

  9. #36509
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    I don't have a basement and the garage is full. Oh what is one to do?? Hmmm. Son lives in San Jose, I wonder if I could start collecting long distance? I don't think his garage is full. Wheels are turning in brain. Gonna call him and see if he want to go on a mission. Pretty bad, huh? But I really like that sewing machine.
    Go for it! On one of the gals blogs that I read last night while researching this machine, she stated that she was tailoring a baggy tee shirt, a redo. She had tried to do the sewing on her plastic wonder, but the machine just could make the grade. So, she remembered that she had her mom's old treadle, the Flying Man. She pulled out the machine and finished the project on that. Got to love those old machines!!

    I believe these machines are from the mid 50s to 60s since they are in treadles and I believe the company still makes sewing machines.

    One blogger had machine in an old Singer straight-leg cabinet that said Singer on front middle drawer. I wonder if the Flying Man Sewing Co. picked up Singer's leftover treadles that were no longer wanted in the 50s/60s.

  10. #36510
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    I agree; its beauty is only skin-deep. (Wouldn't be surprised if the parlor cabinet is made of particle board.)

    pat (home from vacation, but will never catch up.)
    Most likely that cabinet maybe. So, you think this one is a repo of the model made in the 50s?!!

  11. #36511
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Most likely that cabinet maybe. So, you think this one is a repo of the model made in the 50s?!!
    My guess is that it's of fairly recent Asian (Chinese?) manufacture like the 'Butterfly' machine, probably not as solid a machine as the postwar Japanese version. (BTW treadles are still made, since there are still places where electricity is not an option.) But I haven't seen it, so could be completely wrong. FWIW! Pretty thing, though.

    pat

  12. #36512
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    My guess is that it's of fairly recent Asian (Chinese?) manufacture like the 'Butterfly' machine, probably not as solid a machine as the postwar Japanese version. (BTW treadles are still made, since there are still places where electricity is not an option.) But I haven't seen it, so could be completely wrong. FWIW! Pretty thing, though.

    pat
    I went back to reread the one person's blog this morning since I read her blog at 1 am. Well, she states that her mom once had a Singer in a treadle. Mom replaced that Singer with a Flying Man, but kept the treadle.

    This machine does look similar to the "Butterfly" machines.

  13. #36513
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    San francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    I thought this was interesting, the machine and cabinet are beautiful!!
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/art/3119073521.html
    I've seen the handcrank version of those. They are made in China and sold in rural areas. I knew someone whose grandma brought on over. It seemed like a nice simple, straight stitch machine that turned over well, although I didn't sew on it. I am fascinated that there are large parts of the world that have so little access to electricity that these machines are commercially viable. We are just so lucky in this country. My grandparents were immigrants here, and I bless them every day that I was born here! Laura

  14. #36514
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    I've seen the handcrank version of those. They are made in China and sold in rural areas. I knew someone whose grandma brought on over. It seemed like a nice simple, straight stitch machine that turned over well, although I didn't sew on it. I am fascinated that there are large parts of the world that have so little access to electricity that these machines are commercially viable. We are just so lucky in this country. My grandparents were immigrants here, and I bless them every day that I was born here! Laura
    My mom came over as an indenture servant after WWII. Whenever my siblings and I would start to complain about whatever was lacking, she would always remind us how fortunate we were (and are today). She would tell us of bombings and going hungry- and yes, going without electricity. I remember as a very young child visiting my grandmother in Germany and seeing a treadle. I just can't remember what type. I'm sure that treadle was dragged from one bombed out home to another. My mom said she never could get the hang of treadling. She is surprised that I can treadle. Yes, it is wonderful to live where we have electricity since I can treadle at night with a small light over the sewing area....although the other night I believe almost every light in the house was on. I'm happy we still have fresh water.

  15. #36515
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    We tend to take our blessings for granted, don't we? (I know *I* do!!)

    I've been thinking a lot about which machines I would keep if I had to downsize...it's hard, because I really like some of my e-machines, but if I had to be without electricity, I'd want one of the treadles or the handcrank!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

    http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

  16. #36516
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    We tend to take our blessings for granted, don't we? (I know *I* do!!)

    I've been thinking a lot about which machines I would keep if I had to downsize...it's hard, because I really like some of my e-machines, but if I had to be without electricity, I'd want one of the treadles or the handcrank!!
    Yup!! Whenever I'm feeling blue or sorry for myself because of whatever reason, I remind myself that there are those in the world less fortunate.

  17. #36517
    Super Member Crossstitcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,059
    Blog Entries
    7
    WOW a lot to catch up on. We were in the storm that went through so many states last Friday. Our power just came back on last night. Had to go out today and get ready for the next one used everything up. But on a happy note, on Tuesday I went into my sewing shop and treadled on one of my machines. DH asked if I needed to use a kerosene lamp too. But, with the power out and the heat it was nice to escape for a while.

    Randa sorry to hear about your sister. Hope the best for her.
    Jan hope you and your hubby will be home soon and that he gets better.
    Charlee glad you finally got a 301 I have about 5 of them and I sew on all of them. DH fixes all the machines we get and I sew on them but always go back to my little 301. Nancy same for you but I know you already have the short bed.
    Glenn glad you and your DW had a good trip. We have a Franklin machine in a treadle cabinet that is a copy of a 127 and I have used it a few time and have left it in the sewing shop to use along with my other favorites. My DH has been working on our 1886 Sears and Roebuck Treadle and he has got it moving and the foot pedel moves freely.
    Last edited by Crossstitcher; 07-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

    Trish

  18. #36518
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    My guess is that it's of fairly recent Asian (Chinese?) manufacture like the 'Butterfly' machine, probably not as solid a machine as the postwar Japanese version. (BTW treadles are still made, since there are still places where electricity is not an option.) But I haven't seen it, so could be completely wrong. FWIW! Pretty thing, though.

    pat
    I have to agree with Pat, my guess is that treadle was made in the 70's or 80's - even though they are still making the repros today! The cabinet is a little dinged up, but that is to be expected as I'd guess it to be 30 years old or so.

    Nancy

  19. #36519
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Nancy,

    Underneath that obese plastic shell is a skeletonized aluminum frame. It's made from recycled beer cans I think. I have a Singer 3810 and had to pull the shell off of it to fix the bobbin winder clutch thing and that is what I found. I neglected to take pics of it though. Just wanted it fixed and off my bench.

    Darth Vader is an appropriate name for it though. I'd like to put one through a do or die torture test. IE, give it to my wife and tell her to use it like you do the Bernina. I wonder how quick it would die?

    Joe
    Joe, I thought Darth Vader was a perfect name too as that machine is 'cloaked' in so much black plastic! I don't know why Singer made it so huge when it really has a limited amount of stitches, is not an embroidery machine - it is just covered literally with plastic! I really wanted one until I saw it in person! It is still cool to own as it is an anniversary model, but I'd never want to take it out to any sewing classes as it is really large and extremely noisey! There is nothing under most of that plastic to keep it from rattling! It is really a very simple machine. Oh well, I am sure if I had the chance I'd get one, just because!

    Nancy

  20. #36520
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    My mom came over as an indenture servant after WWII. Whenever my siblings and I would start to complain about whatever was lacking, she would always remind us how fortunate we were (and are today). She would tell us of bombings and going hungry- and yes, going without electricity. I remember as a very young child visiting my grandmother in Germany and seeing a treadle. I just can't remember what type. I'm sure that treadle was dragged from one bombed out home to another. My mom said she never could get the hang of treadling. She is surprised that I can treadle. Yes, it is wonderful to live where we have electricity since I can treadle at night with a small light over the sewing area....although the other night I believe almost every light in the house was on. I'm happy we still have fresh water.
    Yes, I think at times we all tend to forget how fortunate we are. What I really worry about are the kids - and I mean everyone from 25 down who've never wanted for a thing! They won't know how to cope if they ever have to scrimp like most of the rest of us had to! A lot of our young people have had everything handed to them - most of them have no idea what hardship really is. Yes, I realize some kids haven't had it so easy, but the majority around where I live are just handed everything - they don't have to earn a thing! They get a car when they turn 16, they don't have to work - they are going to be in for a real shock when they get out into the real world!

    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 07-05-2012 at 05:09 PM.

  21. #36521
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
    My guess is that it's of fairly recent Asian (Chinese?) manufacture like the 'Butterfly' machine, probably not as solid a machine as the postwar Japanese version. (BTW treadles are still made, since there are still places where electricity is not an option.) But I haven't seen it, so could be completely wrong. FWIW! Pretty thing, though.

    pat
    Pat is Cathy ok? Since her move we haven't heard from her - I hope she is doing ok?

    Nancy

  22. #36522
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Yes, I think at times we all tend to forget how fortunate we are. What I really worry about are the kids - and I mean everyone from 25 down who've never wanted for a thing! They won't know how to cope if they ever have to scrimp like most of the rest of us had to! A lot of our young people have had everything handed to them - most of them have no idea what hardship really is. Yes, I realize some kids haven't had it so easy, but the majority around where I live are just handed everything - they don't have to earn a thing! They get a car when they turn 16, they don't have to work - they are going to be in for a real shock when they get out into the real world!

    Nancy
    We have become the ME society. Its all about what is in it for "me". You state 25 and younger, but I see it in folks 40 and under.

    Anyway time for a new but old subject, Charlee or was it Laura asked what machine would one take with them if a crisis were to occur.

    I have been thinking about that. I keep flipping between a Two Spools and a Davis NVF. I can't make up my mind, but I think the Davis would win for the fact that it has the built in walking foot, great machine for quilting.

  23. #36523
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    sf bay area, california
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Pat is Cathy ok? Since her move we haven't heard from her - I hope she is doing ok?
    Hi Nancy,

    I've been away but had a text from her Monday and she sounded ok--probably still caught up in her move. Will investigate.

    pat

  24. #36524
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    OT, My dog keeps on freaking out from all the illegal fireworks. Can't wait until this week is over.
    I played some Linda Ronstadt last night for her. Normally she is an outside dog, but last night she was indoors.
    She looked happy listening to the music. Her only mission in life is to keep the killer squirrels out of our yard. She looked happy this evening until just recently when a large boom was heard. I feel sorry for all the puppies during this time of year.

  25. #36525
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    OT, My dog keeps on freaking out from all the illegal fireworks. Can't wait until this week is over.
    I played some Linda Ronstadt last night for her. Normally she is an outside dog, but last night she was indoors.
    She looked happy listening to the music. Her only mission in life is to keep the killer squirrels out of our yard. She looked happy this evening until just recently when a large boom was heard. I feel sorry for all the puppies during this time of year.
    Monica, you need to move to my county! Fireworks are illegal here - we never see or hear any except the big shows our little town puts on every year!

    Thank you Pat! I was a little worried since Cathy has been so quiet!
    Nancy

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.