Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-01-2011, 02:07 AM
Power Poster

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/2625814069.html
Is this one all there?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I'm sorry Mrs. B...I should have been more clear!

What I meant by "simply black" is that the parts of the machine that are normally chrome or nickle plated are instead blacked like a gun barrell would be...they still put the decals on them. :)
Thanks for the clarification! That makes more sense. :)

And thanks to all for the link to the ID page-I'd forgotten about that!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

anybody near Louisville, KY?
http://louisville.craigslist.org/atq/2617450429.html - it's down to $10!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by redturtle
Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Charlee
i posted sum pics on the last page...does anybody know what kind of singer it is and where can i locate the serial #...thnx much
You've got (I believe) a model 66...the serial number is on a brass plate on the bed in front of the post. If you can find the serial number and share it, we can tell you what, when, and where! :)
thnx charlee...now to find a manual for it so i know what she can do...hmmm, think i will call her Esther...

serial # is AA010124...looks like 1924????
Check the size - it might be a 99-13
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/asse...GER_AA_nos.pdf
At least looking at this chart, where the serial # fits in, August 19, 1924. It looks just like my 99-13K, except I have a knee bar.

Here's links to manuals:
99-13
http://www.sew-classic.com/uploads/99K.pdf

Edited to add: Oops - I see Billy beat me to it - anyways heres a manual!
just wondering what you mean by check the size...thnx for the online manual...that helps emmensely :)
They look similar because the 99 is a smaller version of the 66. So without knowing the serial number and looking up it up, the size would have given it away, but it's hard to see in an on-line pic if its not next to another machine. A 99 is a 3/4 machine. Manuals do make things easier - I've found all my manuals for free, so far, on-line. It amazes me some people sell them as CD versions on eBay. I can see an original maybe, but not the ones you can get for free.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
anybody near Louisville, KY?
http://louisville.craigslist.org/atq/2617450429.html - it's down to $10!!!
Wish somebody would do a listing like that one in the Dallas area. It would be scooped up fast.

Texas Jan
Old 10-01-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Looks like it...W&W 9...pretty rough shape tho.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 AM

I'm also interested.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Speaking of filling up basements - has anyone heard from Miz Johnny lately?? I know she went back to work when school started (I think she's a teacher - I keyed in on that since DH is also)but haven't noticed her on recently. Is she OK?

Cindy Lou Who
Cindy, nice to hear from you! We don't hear much from you either?

It is nice when Miz Johnny posts, too! She is lots of fun! I bet she is just crazy busy right now. I think her granddaughter and son are living with her too.

Nancy
Old 10-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
redturtle, your 99 looks like mine, except that I see a white foot petal in back of the machine, or at least that's what I think is there. The hole in the front of the bottom of the case is for a knee bar, which mine has. But yours probably has been rewired to use the petal, is that right? Mine is a 99-13, meaning it has the knee bar.

OK, now I need help. I bought some 66 bobbins from a sewing machine repairman, and they were a bit much, $1.00 each, or so I thought when I saw the Singer 66 (metal) bobbins at Walmart at a price of 4 for 97cents or something like that, under a dollar. I went ahead and bought 4 package. I used one of the Walmart Singer bobbins and wound thread on it and put it into the bobbin holder, but it won't go around easily, it wanted to stick. I then tried putting the ones from the repairman in and they twirled around without sticking at all. (I used a pin in one of the holes to twirl it around in the bobbin casing. I tried all of the rest of the bobbins in the W S package, and they stuck like the first one did. I didn't open any more of the packages, as I thought they'd be the same. Has anyone else had this problem too? If so, where do you get your bobbins? Thank goodness I saved my receipt so I can take them all back to Walmart.
Janis, Miriam is right! Use the Wal Mart ones for the new machines, or earrings - whatever - but, they won't work in the vintage machines. We have all learned that the hard way too -- you are not alone! Yes, at $1 apiece the vintage Class 66 are pricey, but the 'new' ones don't work. The only 'new' bobbins that will work on some vintage machines are the Class 15's you can get at Wal Mart for your Model 15 machines, etc., not the Class 66!

Nancy
Old 10-01-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
The 301 is a very nice machine, making pretty stitches and solid for heavy work, such as jeans or quilts. I got mine in a regular fold out cabinet for $35 from a flea market, before I even know it was such a neat machine. I got a 66 ($30) the same day from a lady on my paper route. And I have 5 Japanese clones, some fetish I have, and several other machines. I like the early electric ones I guess. I had the vintage sewing machine collecting bug before I knew it was an official illness...lol. My mom and husband are enablers to the extreme. I got started on collecting at the ripe old age of 14, when I asked my grandpa for his mama's treadle that was just sitting in her old house. Some of his sisters had hissy fits, but I got it and kept it anyway. My plan is 50 by next June, when I turn 50. I am only 6 away, and am trying to be very specific about how I fill in those slots, but temptation is terrible, and if I find a good buy, it comes home with me.
Melinda that is so cool that you still have your Great Gramma's treadle - especially when you got it at 14! Wow! You go girl!

Nancy