Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Janis go to this ISMACS site and you will see all the class 99's broken down. The very first 99 was the 99k1 made in 1911 to model a 66, but only 3/4's the size of a 66. It is a lot of fun to research our machines and learn about them! I think all of us get excited when we learn about our machines! http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...sses-1-99.html

Nany
From what I read there earlier in the day, my 1924 Singer 99 might be a 16 or 17, because it is an electric portable with a carrying case. It has the solid hand wheel like the 99-13. It could be the 99-10 as that one is portable, but doesn't say anything about being electric.
I've tried to read what l can on these old machines and enjoy learning all I can about them. I did read in the book, AFTER I printed a new one that " Under no circumstances must the screw EE be loosened." OOPS, I did and took the latch off so I could clean out under the bobbin case. I did sew with it after, and it did OK, so maybe I didn't do anything so bad. I'm hoping!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Dan, you want me to take my camera shopping with me, right? I've not seen one of the coat factory machines, but the tables were big and thick with a hefty looking treadle. My daughter tried to get me to buy one for my little 301. No thank you, darlin'.

Nancy, I don't know my machines - only my precious Elna and what I've recently learned about some other vintage ones here. I have to work at the church tomorrow so I will get the Pfaff out and get a better look. No, I don't think it has the IDT foot. The New Home is a 1984 and I have a 1978 MW. It looks to be in that range, but I could be way off. I'll try to get a picture if the camera will stay charged that long. I suspect I need a new battery. I may as well pull the Touch and Sew and see if it sews, too. There's no sense storing machines that don't do their thing.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

I've been busy. My sister is in town. We spent a bunch of time in the shop. Spent half the day just looking and never saw it all... scary... We've been cleaning up a couple of the old ladies. I took one 1970s Singer to work and gave it to Lisa - she is a sweet little black lady and she always brightens my day when I have to go to that store. She went wild - she is so expressive... It was turquoise (the one she lost was turquoise) and it did zig zag. She says she is going to put lace on a hankie for when she goes to church so she can wave it in the air. Then I found a couple 301s so I cleaned them up - both run beautifully. We fixed up an Alden's (Japanese 15) very nice turquoise color - well maybe it is green? We worked on a couple old 185s tensions. I shot pics of some Singer 15s with potted motors. One of them is really going to be grand when I get it fixed up - it is all in black. I cleaned up the Cinderella - very interesting - Outside I would have thought a 15 clone. Under it is for sure not a 15 clone - I didn't pull her in half... She runs like a bulldozer - LOUD. Her case is miserable... I'm thinking about building her a box and putting her somewhere that I can see her all the time. She shined up nice. We got that pink and gray looking mighty purty. I need to get some kind of box for shipping a sewing machine... It is getting over due. Any ideas where you find a nice box - maybe one inside another.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 PM

I'm whipped. William's daughters got here on Monday, they're wonderful ladies!

Today, they took off for Idaho to visit with Grandma, so I chose this time to strip and refinish a cabinet for my 403. Spent all day today stripping and sanding...tonight I stained it.

Off to bed...a rarity for me this early!!
Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
Have never owned a Singer but as of today I do!!!! Now I need help to identify it and you all know I am fairly new at this. There was a $30.00 price on it. I offered $20.00 and he said yes. After getting it home and plugging it it (it purr's) was going to put thread on it but to my surprise the peg that holds the thread is not there. Any solutions? Also there is no book with it so need to find some reading material. In the picture of the backside there is a large hole. What is suppose to be there? The number on it is AL119834. Seems like I had another question but now I can't remember what it was.

After leaving that yard sale and a few later I found a buttonhole attachment for a Singer for $1.00. May not work but what the heck. If anyone can help me out here I would be so very happy and Thanks!!
I've used a plastic zip tie, cut off, for a spool pin - works great!

https://www.google.com/search?q=zip+ties&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm =isch&ei=anu0T-rOIc-K6QGwiaEH&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CMUB EPwFKAE&biw=1280&bih=620

Shari
Old 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I've been busy. My sister is in town. We spent a bunch of time in the shop. Spent half the day just looking and never saw it all... scary... We've been cleaning up a couple of the old ladies. I took one 1970s Singer to work and gave it to Lisa - she is a sweet little black lady and she always brightens my day when I have to go to that store. She went wild - she is so expressive... It was turquoise (the one she lost was turquoise) and it did zig zag. She says she is going to put lace on a hankie for when she goes to church so she can wave it in the air. Then I found a couple 301s so I cleaned them up - both run beautifully. We fixed up an Alden's (Japanese 15) very nice turquoise color - well maybe it is green? We worked on a couple old 185s tensions. I shot pics of some Singer 15s with potted motors. One of them is really going to be grand when I get it fixed up - it is all in black. I cleaned up the Cinderella - very interesting - Outside I would have thought a 15 clone. Under it is for sure not a 15 clone - I didn't pull her in half... She runs like a bulldozer - LOUD. Her case is miserable... I'm thinking about building her a box and putting her somewhere that I can see her all the time. She shined up nice. We got that pink and gray looking mighty purty. I need to get some kind of box for shipping a sewing machine... It is getting over due. Any ideas where you find a nice box - maybe one inside another.
Miriam, sounds like a fun day! I've only shipped one machine and I bought a brand new box for it at the local box/mailing store. Why a brand new box? Well, I didn't know this, but UPS won't insure boxes sent that have been shipped or used before. They figure the integrity of the box is in question and won't insure the contents....so I had to buy a new box and that way they'd insure it for up to $100 included in the cost of shipping.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Miriam, sounds like a fun day! I've only shipped one machine and I bought a brand new box for it at the local box/mailing store. Why a brand new box? Well, I didn't know this, but UPS won't insure boxes sent that have been shipped or used before. They figure the integrity of the box is in question and won't insure the contents....so I had to buy a new box and that way they'd insure it for up to $100 included in the cost of shipping.
Ok, thanks, I think you are making sense. I can do that pretty easily. Did you put a box inside a box? I think that would be safer.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I'm whipped. William's daughters got here on Monday, they're wonderful ladies!

Today, they took off for Idaho to visit with Grandma, so I chose this time to strip and refinish a cabinet for my 403. Spent all day today stripping and sanding...tonight I stained it.

Off to bed...a rarity for me this early!!
Geeze, Charlee I was thinking you have been awfully quiet lately! Now we know why! What part of Idaho are they heading for?

Nancy
Old 05-17-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Miriam, either one of those 301's a long bed?

Nancy
Old 05-17-2012, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
no, I was just being silly with the Pf sound. I'm recovering from foot surgery here, and spending waaaayyy to much time on the couch with my foot elevated over my heart ( so up on the back of the couch) the elevation is to control the swelling. so as a result, I've gone soft in the brain. every so often I look at my lovely 31-20, all clean and oiled, and once a day, I go down to the garage and put one more thin coat of shellac on the treadle table, but that is about all the machine fixing I've been able to get up to. laura
Laura, sorry to hear about your foot, but it sounds like you are doing all the right things to get better. Hang in there!

Nancy