Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 PM

Who was it asking about when did the 99 become electrified? As far as I can find out, the first electric 99 was the 99-13 which was manufactured starting in 1924.

Nancy[/QUOTE]

It was me!!! I just bought a 1924 Singer 99 that has the foot petal and is in a bentwood case. It doesn't have a light. When were lights first put on the Singers, any one know? The wiring has been replaced, but the foot petal is the big old metal one. I also have a 1928 Singer 99-13 in the bentwood case, and it has the knee bar and also a light. Other than that, they are similar. I had been looking in the serial numbers and where I looked, the single letter ones don't tell the model of the machines. The AA ones do, and that's where my 1924 Singer 99 is listed, in the first group of 99's . Maybe some were the plain electrified 99's and others were the 99-13s. That is so exciting to me!!! Ya, I know some of the silliest things excite me. Thanks Nancy.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Who was it asking about when did the 99 become electrified? As far as I can find out, the first electric 99 was the 99-13 which was manufactured starting in 1924.

Nancy

It was me!!! I just bought a 1924 Singer 99 that has the foot petal and is in a bentwood case. It doesn't have a light. When were lights first put on the Singers, any one know? The wiring has been replaced, but the foot petal is the big old metal one. I also have a 1928 Singer 99-13 in the bentwood case, and it has the knee bar and also a light. Other than that, they are similar. I had been looking in the serial numbers and where I looked, the single letter ones don't tell the model of the machines. The AA ones do, and that's where my 1924 Singer 99 is listed, in the first group of 99's . Maybe some were the plain electrified 99's and others were the 99-13s. That is so exciting to me!!! Ya, I know some of the silliest things excite me. Thanks Nancy.
Janis go to this ISMACS site and you will see all the class 99's broken down. The very first 99 was the 99k1 made in 1911 to model a 66, but only 3/4's the size of a 66. It is a lot of fun to research our machines and learn about them! I think all of us get excited when we learn about our machines! http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...sses-1-99.html

Nany
Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Brandybrook View Post
I was asked to move this to this thread from the other one I posted on because it is more of a discussion group. I was looking for some help on identifying an old sewing machine I purchased. I have a couple of photos, one closeup of the metal logo, and some other longer shots. I searched all the google images trying to find this logo, but was unsuccessful. If you have any info, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, that's ok, I had a great time looking at everyone's antique sewing machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]335597[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]335598[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]335599[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]335600[/ATTACH]

Someone suggested that it might be a Demorest??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I love old things and might have a go at cleaning up this beauty

Lori
Lori just looking at that emblem, it looks to me like an 'M' with an 'S' inside it. I wish Miz Johnny would come on board more often, she might know. Cathy or Pat what is this machine? I am curious. Monica, do you know? It looks like a 3/4 size New Home head, but the emblem throws me? Maybe, one of the White's in the Mason line?

Also, Lori,that a vibrating shuttle machine, but the bobbin winder does not appear to be complete. The bobbin winder is in a weird position too - at least to me.

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-16-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer View Post
Yes, its a Singer Sphinx 1929.
This has already been answered, but the 127/27 takes a Schmetz 15x1 needle. The kind you see all the time in JoAnnes, Walmart, quilt stores. There is nothing unique about the needle, but I found on my Sphinx, it likes the Schmetz 15x1 universal needles the best - in the size appropriate for the fabric you are sewing.

Nancy
Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
Hi Nancy,

The Singer 15 fiddlebase (15-1, I think) is usually referred to as the IF, for Improved Family. (The New Family was the Singer 12.)

pat
Pat thank you. I knew about the IF model. I have not seen one that I recall so I wasn't sure what it looked like. I see the IF model listed in the ISMACS site as a fiddlebase, which later became the Model 15! It is so much fun to learn - I really appreciate all you knowledgeable people! So the person who posted a photo of her 1885, IF - the very first class 15 type Singers - has a really nice find. Those machines were only made between 1879 and 1895, when the regular class 15's came out!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 05-16-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
What a great machine!
Janice, that video is so awesome! I have the 31-15 and a 31-20! I want to find one of those 'roller feet!' I have never seen a 'roller foot' before! I plan on using my 31's to mend my horse tack - now I also have to find the really heavy weight thread he was using in the video. I was not aware that the 31's dropped their feed dogs? I am going to have to go play with mine - I haven't tried sewing with either one yet. Just got them cleaned up! I did run one of them without thread and it scared me - Geeze, that machine runs fast and powerful!

Nancy
Old 05-16-2012, 05:51 AM

Candace look at this! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/for/3018344030.html

I just did some research on the 262 - they were made in the 1960's, 1500 stitches per minute, 80 decorative stitches, cleated belt. Pfaff said when the 261-262 came out they were "too good." They almost "broke the company." I was going to pick up the Necchi tomorrow, but now I want to wait and see if I can dicker and get the Pfaff 262!

Nancy
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 AM

Nancy, I thought of you when I saw that listing. I have a 332 and the 360 Cathy gave me to try and cobble together one machine. And unfortunately I still am missing a belt... this 262 looks just like them except the 262 is a flatbed. I'd prefer this one over the Necchi. :>
Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Janice, that video is so awesome! I have the 31-15 and a 31-20! I want to find one of those 'roller feet!' I have never seen a 'roller foot' before! I plan on using my 31's to mend my horse tack - now I also have to find the really heavy weight thread he was using in the video. I was not aware that the 31's dropped their feed dogs? I am going to have to go play with mine - I haven't tried sewing with either one yet. Just got them cleaned up! I did run one of them without thread and it scared me - Geeze, that machine runs fast and powerful!

Nancy
Just one of the sources for heavy weight thread
http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Z...read-8oz-Cones
Old 05-16-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post

Nancy
It was me!!! I just bought a 1924 Singer 99 that has the foot petal and is in a bentwood case. It doesn't have a light. When were lights first put on the Singers, any one know? The wiring has been replaced, but the foot petal is the big old metal one. I also have a 1928 Singer 99-13 in the bentwood case, and it has the knee bar and also a light. Other than that, they are similar. I had been looking in the serial numbers and where I looked, the single letter ones don't tell the model of the machines. The AA ones do, and that's where my 1924 Singer 99 is listed, in the first group of 99's . Maybe some were the plain electrified 99's and others were the 99-13s. That is so exciting to me!!! Ya, I know some of the silliest things excite me. Thanks Nancy.[/QUOTE]

Janis, you and I have "sister" 99's...mine was also made in 1928. It was electric with a kneelever controller. I gave it a motorectomy and put a handcrank on it. I love it!!