Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
You know I agree with all of you on the prices of the vintage machine issue. I have wondered if Craigslist is driving up the prices. I know e-bay does drive up the price as I have see machines for sale at yard sales - to be told that it is going for such and such on e-bay! The problem is that most of the machines don't sell for the asking price, but people don't realize that unless they have been following the ad. I have been watching a cute little New Home for sale here in my area on Craigslist for over a year. He started out asking 250, now it is down to $60. The problem with that is that people zip onto Craigslist for a quick look when they have something for sale - see the $250 and think it is worth that!

I am disgusted with the people trying to sell the 301 long bed. I am with Candace on that one. If the people list it on Craigslist, but really want to sell it on e-bay for more - they don't deserve my business. I was willing to pay $100 for the machine, attachments, and case - since it is a long bed. I sent e-mails starting 3 days ago - very rude of people to not even answer back. I wonder if the 301 is getting bids on e-bay - I am not even going to look - that is probably why they are just sitting on it with Craigslist. Anyway, I'd think most people would rather sell things on Craigslist so they don't have to pack, insure, and ship the machine. It is going to cost them at least $25 to ship it?

Nancy
Nancy, they don't have a bid yet. But, even their ebay auction is hokey! They have a contact seller for shipping cost as the price. So, I would think someone would really hesitate on bidding on something where there's no shipping price listed. Especially for a machine! They could easily try to scam on that. I would much prefer to sell locally as I've had to pack and ship one machine so far and it is expensive and time consuming! To do it properly can easily take over an hour. As a matter of fact, I am selling a bunch of my kids video games this morning(hopefully) via CL as I didn't want to list them on ebay and deal with shipping them separately.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:52 AM

Default Sew standing up!

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
.... I am on the mend; won't be sitting down to sew anytime soon.
Sharon W
Sharon,

Hope all goes well with the recovery! You’ll just have to put the hand crank back onto your 201 and sew standing up!

This past weekend, Bear helped me with a project to repurpose a piece of an old truck tarp for a customer. He needed a riding lawn mower cover, so I set up a make-shift “table” on the back patio and used my old beat-up Singer 66-1 Hand Crank to do the stitching....

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20120429_07.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
This is interesting, considering that we were just talking about cabinets and who made them the other day!

This is the machine from Craig's list:

And this is my Davis (ca. 1888-89)

The main parts of the cabinet are the same, slight differences in the pulls, but even those are similar!
It is interesting how styles are similar. Even today, styles of items are copied or very similar.
From what I have read, Davis made the better cabinet and prettier treadle irons. Singer was good at copying and lucky to acquire most of the market.

Charlee, your Davis is very lovely!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Sharon,

Hope all goes well with the recovery! You’ll just have to put the hand crank back onto your 201 and sew standing up!

This past weekend, Bear helped me with a project to repurpose a piece of an old truck tarp for a customer. He needed a riding lawn mower cover, so I set up a make-shift “table” on the back patio and used my old beat-up Singer 66-1 Hand Crank to do the stitching....

CD in Oklahoma
CD, that is so cool! What are you sewing through - what are the layers? It looks like a vinyl and what else?

Nancy
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
This is interesting, considering that we were just talking about cabinets and who made them the other day!

This is the machine from Craig's list:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331830[/ATTACH]

And this is my Davis (ca. 1888-89)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331831[/ATTACH]

The main parts of the cabinet are the same, slight differences in the pulls, but even those are similar!
Charlee I love that cabinet - especially the treadle irons that say "vertical feed!" So handsome!

Nancy
Old 04-30-2012, 07:40 AM

Wow, I love that HC! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/clt/2987476171.html I hope one of you guys get this one! I would get it, but I don't have time to drive down there today!

Nancy
Old 04-30-2012, 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=BoJangles;5182095

I am disgusted with the people trying to sell the 301 long bed. I am with Candace on that one. If the people list it on Craigslist, but really want to sell it on e-bay for more - they don't deserve my business. I was willing to pay $100 for the machine, attachments, and case - since it is a long bed. I sent e-mails starting 3 days ago - very rude of people to not even answer back. I wonder if the 301 is getting bids on e-bay - I am not even going to look - that is probably why they are just sitting on it with Craigslist. Anyway, I'd think most people would rather sell things on Craigslist so they don't have to pack, insure, and ship the machine. It is going to cost them at least $25 to ship it?

Nancy[/QUOTE]

I agree that it is very rude not to reply to inquiries. So then, what was the point of even posting. Makes you wonder the character of the person and what are their real intentions.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Unless you are Pat, and you are willing to drive across the country picking up machines.
I resemble that remark! I always have a perfectly good excuse!!

pat (who is way behind as usual)
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
... What are you sewing through - what are the layers? It looks like a vinyl and what else?
Nancy
It’s a medium-weight non-backed vinyl and nothing else. The “right side” of the vinyl is off-white. The “wrong side” is yellow for part of it, and “multicolored” (covered with tiny color dots) for the rest of it. That multicolored surface made it hard to see my cut lines and stitch lines on this project! I sewed through only two layers for most of it, and four layers where I had turned up my bottom hem. The bunch of layers held by a clothes pin in the lower left of the photo were just a way to keep that portion folded up to go through the arm area of my machine. That made one less thing to attend to while hand cranking with one hand and steering the vinyl with the other.

The finished cover was 56” long, 22” wide, and 18” tall with sewn grommet reinforcements and grommets at six locations around the bottom hem. I did the grommet work on location with the same sewing machine (had to see exactly where the customer wanted the grommets), but operated it on the tailgate of my pickup truck.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
I resemble that remark! I always have a perfectly good excuse!!

pat (who is way behind as usual)
Yes, it was you that I was referring to the travels. Have car, will travel for those vintage machines.