Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-30-2012, 01:39 AM

Muv,

A lady by the name of Susan Claire over on Artisans Square forum has W&G needles. I don't know if she'd ship to the UK but it's a possible source to check out.
http://artisanssquare.com/sg/index.p...c,14079.0.html

Joe
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Power Poster

I loaded 25 for sale machines to take with me to Ray White's class in my truck - I hope I don't honk anybody off.. LOL These are for extreme make over or parts... I found a pink mouse nest in one of the Kenmore godzilla machines.
Today after work I should check over/clean up the machines I plan to work on. I also started a PDA for the class - I hope I can post on it some time when I am there.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:05 AM

Miriam,

This is truly a great idea and a service for those in need of a machine to work on and making a few bucks in the process.

Jon
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Fancy place to store the trash, or maybe that is sewing patterns in that basket:
Opps, that's the manual.
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/atq/2924282258.html

I like that Brunswick and the cabinet! I think the trash is the storage bin!

Nancy
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 AM

This is a pretty machine and treadle, just that I didn't realize that the Art Deco period has moved to the late 1800s.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/atq/2934461483.html
I have that VS2, but it kind of worries you when there is a screw sitting loose on the cabinet top?

Nancy
Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331823[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Hello Nancy,

Nice to hear you have a couple of little Willcox & Gibbs machines. Have you got one of those hilarious treadles with the giant footprints? Also I've seen a picture of one with a motor, which I would be too terrified to touch. Have you ever got them stitching? Mine has the needle fitted, a very short little thing which I expect is impossible to replace, so I'm not sure if it's even worth trying to get it working. It's very stiff, but nothing a clean up and oiling wouldn't cure.
Muv, it is worth it to get some of those Boye 20 1/2 needles! Those little babies make a beautiful chain stitch. Yes, they are fun to sew with! My treadle I use all the time, and the electric one I have taken to classes just to show off. Yes, my treadle has the feet for the pedal - so cute. They run like a dream and the stitch can be used as a decorative stitch it is so cute.

Nancy
Attached Thumbnails w-g-redone-open.jpg  

Last edited by BoJangles; 04-30-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 AM

You know I agree with all of you on the prices of the vintage machine issue. I have wondered if Craigslist is driving up the prices. I know e-bay does drive up the price as I have see machines for sale at yard sales - to be told that it is going for such and such on e-bay! The problem is that most of the machines don't sell for the asking price, but people don't realize that unless they have been following the ad. I have been watching a cute little New Home for sale here in my area on Craigslist for over a year. He started out asking 250, now it is down to $60. The problem with that is that people zip onto Craigslist for a quick look when they have something for sale - see the $250 and think it is worth that!

I am disgusted with the people trying to sell the 301 long bed. I am with Candace on that one. If the people list it on Craigslist, but really want to sell it on e-bay for more - they don't deserve my business. I was willing to pay $100 for the machine, attachments, and case - since it is a long bed. I sent e-mails starting 3 days ago - very rude of people to not even answer back. I wonder if the 301 is getting bids on e-bay - I am not even going to look - that is probably why they are just sitting on it with Craigslist. Anyway, I'd think most people would rather sell things on Craigslist so they don't have to pack, insure, and ship the machine. It is going to cost them at least $25 to ship it?

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 04-30-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:40 AM
Muv

Joe and Nancy,

Thank you both very much for the information. Nancy, I love your treadle! At the moment I am concentrating on a mega quilt project, so getting the little Willcox and Gibbs going will have to wait, but I'm thrilled to know that it's possible.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 AM

Hi Nancy,

Don't think I ever received a sewing machine where the seller used packing material other than that which was laying around. I buy low end stuff so I can't blame them too much though I'm sure some $100 and $200 machines are packed the same way. These machines are pretty much at the mercy of the carrier. I did buy a VF2 which was completely busted at the base of the arm when I opened up the box--- I was slightly upset.

With the 301, sounds like the seller is a greedy person looking for "two in the bush".

Jon

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
You know I agree with all of you on the prices of the vintage machine issue. I have wondered if Craigslist is driving up the prices. I know e-bay does drive up the price as I have see machines for sale at yard sales - to be told that it is going for such and such on e-bay! The problem is that most of the machines don't sell for the asking price, but people don't realize that unless they have been following the ad. I have been watching a cute little New Home for sale here in my area on Craigslist for over a year. He started out asking 250, now it is down to $60. The problem with that is that people zip onto Craigslist for a quick look when they have something for sale - see the $250 and think it is worth that!

I am disgusted with the people trying to sell the 301 long bed. I am with Candace on that one. If the people list it on Craigslist, but really want to sell it on e-bay for more - they don't deserve my business. I was willing to pay $100 for the machine, attachments, and case - since it is a long bed. I sent e-mails starting 3 days ago - very rude of people to not even answer back. I wonder if the 301 is getting bids on e-bay - I am not even going to look - that is probably why they are just sitting on it with Craigslist. Anyway, I'd think most people would rather sell things on Craigslist so they don't have to pack, insure, and ship the machine. It is going to cost them at least $25 to ship it?

Nancy
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 AM

This is a pretty machine and treadle, just that I didn't realize that the Art Deco period has moved to the late 1800s.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/atq/2934461483.html
This is interesting, considering that we were just talking about cabinets and who made them the other day!

This is the machine from Craig's list:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331830[/ATTACH]

And this is my Davis (ca. 1888-89)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]331831[/ATTACH]

The main parts of the cabinet are the same, slight differences in the pulls, but even those are similar!
Attached Thumbnails craigslist-singer.jpg   davis-treadle-002.jpg