Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
Glad you are happy with it Glenn. Husband has packed many a box in our business life. This one was a combo of him and me packing. The best of both !!!

Texas Jan
Well you both did a great job on the packing. Thank you again for being so kind.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 PM

Muv we are very lucky to have a 28k with very good decals with little wear on them. Yes we have little twins. lol
Old 04-29-2012, 04:29 PM

OK, painted a hand crank silver, with Martha stewart paint. Also scraped all the loose paper off the inside of a stinky case, sprayed it with red primer, and primed the outside white. The last case I re-did, I used fabric to cover, and it was a giant pain in the tush. So, this one, I glued down all loose corners ans primed. Oddly, spray paint didn't cover well. So, I switched back to Martha's jug o' silver paint and painted the outside of the case silver and blue.

My house has been invaded by teenagers (cooking two pounds of ground beef for spaghetti and sent one of them to the store for two loaves of bread for garlic bread. considered just tossing the red meat at them, raw, but figured that the carbs in combo might cause tranquility) so, can't go to the hardware store for a drill bit. A drill bit? Yes, I am going to bravely drill the hand wheel of the blue machine for it's silver hand crank. Slightly nervous, but I really need to learn how to do this. I have a sacrificial hand wheel from a black machine to do first. Just don't want to have to change the bobbin winder out, nor give up the pretty blue and chrome wheel. Actually, it is good that my sons' friends came over, because tomorrow I can go to the good hardware store, where someone will know something, as opposed to HomeD tonight.

On the other quilty front, I just got Gwen Marston's new book on medallion quilts, and it is a complete joy. Here writing style makes me feel like she's talking to me, and I love liberated piecing. So, I think I will take advantage of that inspiration and piece a little while the boys watch a movie.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make dropbox work on this forum, so that I can post some pictures tomorrow!
Laura
Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
Everyone's machines are so nice. Hope to see pictures of things made on them.

Sharon hope you mend real soon.

Joe you sound like my husband. He loves to tinker with the machines and get them running again then it is my job to sew with them. He has a FW he is tinkering with now and his mother's old minnesota B he wants to repair badly and it is in bad bad shape. He did free it up and the wheel turns and the needle bar goes up and down.
Trish,

I have a Minnesota ~B~ I got from a forum member. It's not the prettiest little thing but it sews like a champ. Very nice stitches. It's a converted treadle machine and all I needed to do is clean it really good and replace a few small parts.
Tell you husband to take his time and it's going to be a success story the two of you can post about.
Oh, there's a thread or two about my Minnesota here, I just can't find them as the computer that had the links bookmarked in it died.

Joe
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Nancy, this seller has been trying to sell it on ebay for some time. I've already got a mocha long bed, so it's all yours. And it's more than I pay for vintage machines anyway, so I'm out! :> Here's the listing http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-301-...t_13273wt_1206
Well Candace, I sent 2 e-mails asking to see the machine in person. I also made an offer of $100 on one of the e-mails thinking that would at least get me an answer! Not so! Not a word back - not even a no thank you! Geeze! I thought that was a good offer as he has it listed on Craigslist for $125?

Nancy
Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
It's great you tried. That's the important thing. Did you friend get it over ebay or something?
No she has had that FW for years. It is the machine she always takes to classes, socials, etc.. It was pretty obvious to me and Cathy that someone has messed with the timing before. The screw heads were tweaked and the needle bar was not in the correct position for the needle scarf and hook to come together correctly. Anyway, it was a great learning experience for me. I didn't even know about the needle bar having to be timed to the needle scarf and hook. Pretty interesting!

Nancy
Old 04-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well Candace, I sent 2 e-mails asking to see the machine in person. I also made an offer of $100 on one of the e-mails thinking that would at least get me an answer! Not so! Not a word back - not even a no thank you! Geeze! I thought that was a good offer as he has it listed on Craigslist for $125?

Nancy
Yes, but they're asking $150 on ebay, hoping to get $175 and I'm betting they'll string you out to see if they sell it on ebay or not. I'd pass just out of principle if this is what they do:<
Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
OK, painted a hand crank silver, with Martha stewart paint. Also scraped all the loose paper off the inside of a stinky case, sprayed it with red primer, and primed the outside white. The last case I re-did, I used fabric to cover, and it was a giant pain in the tush. So, this one, I glued down all loose corners ans primed. Oddly, spray paint didn't cover well. So, I switched back to Martha's jug o' silver paint and painted the outside of the case silver and blue.

My house has been invaded by teenagers (cooking two pounds of ground beef for spaghetti and sent one of them to the store for two loaves of bread for garlic bread. considered just tossing the red meat at them, raw, but figured that the carbs in combo might cause tranquility) so, can't go to the hardware store for a drill bit. A drill bit? Yes, I am going to bravely drill the hand wheel of the blue machine for it's silver hand crank. Slightly nervous, but I really need to learn how to do this. I have a sacrificial hand wheel from a black machine to do first. Just don't want to have to change the bobbin winder out, nor give up the pretty blue and chrome wheel. Actually, it is good that my sons' friends came over, because tomorrow I can go to the good hardware store, where someone will know something, as opposed to HomeD tonight.

On the other quilty front, I just got Gwen Marston's new book on medallion quilts, and it is a complete joy. Here writing style makes me feel like she's talking to me, and I love liberated piecing. So, I think I will take advantage of that inspiration and piece a little while the boys watch a movie.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make dropbox work on this forum, so that I can post some pictures tomorrow!
Laura

The Elements of Style by Strunk and White
Warriner's
Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post

Nancy
A question about 301's, what is the going price for them right now? I know that it depends on what i am willing to pay. They just seem to be very popular right now. I would love to find a mocha or a two tone. Good luck, I hope you get a response, and you get the machine.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM

There are still bargains out there but is seems most machines are very high compared to just a few years ago. Could it be the "Vintage Sewing Machine Shop" is driving up the prices?

Jon