Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 PM

Miriam,

When is Ray's class?
Please keep us posted on the class if you have internet. I'm sure your stories will be as entertaining as they always are. Again, give Ray a big hug from me and sneak in one for yourself.

Cathy
Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Power Poster

Ray's class starts May 3. I can't stand the wait. This waiting is worse than Christmas and just as busy. My boss has been trying his level best to keep me so crazy busy I don't have time to think about it or get things done. I worked more hours last week than I have in 4 years. I've been trying my hardest to sort out machines to take. I won't run out of things to do at the class.... I'm trying to get them cleaned up & figure out what is wrong with them like Cathy said. I am hoping I can find a place to post some time while I am there. I'll be camping. I'm not one for hotel rooms - I just can't sleep in them. I have a machine that ejects bobbin cases. I have one that the bobbin winder doesn't turn. There is no end to frozen up Kenmore, Japanese and Singer zzers needing all kinds of attention. Then I have some Elnas that need major attention - those are my priority. I sort of doubt if the beautiful Necchi Nora can be fixed. That so bums me out - it has a melted plastic part - all my fault I think. I used liquid wrench on it to get it to move. The machine was frozen up. It's been quite a few years and I was learning to unlock a frozen machine. The ugly old Necchi probably will work just fine if I keep on it with oil and heat - no plastic on that tank. Oh well. I have some other machines that I doubt can be fixed. Rust on those old zzs has a way of making too much trouble. I think the simple old machines with rust have a chance of working. Then again how much time do you want to spend on a machine Charlee says is only worth $15 - $25 when it is working. I am taking a couple newer machines to work on if I get the Elna machines done. I have a White - seems like a good machine - very high end probably from late 1980s or so. I haven't figure out how to get it opened up with out a crowbar - it sounds and feels like something isn't right when I turn it so I want to open it up. And I have a Genie to try to open up, too - it has a broken zz lever that I know of. Maybe a broken gear. I need to see if the machines I worked on today will make a stitch - I do know how to time. I don't know all the details like Cathy knows. I just figured it out by trial and error. There is a sweet spot and you have to find it. Then I found a service manual for my 401 and figured out more of it. I wish I could go to the class at Cathy's house - it would be so much fun. It is way to far for me to drive - I couldn't haul the machines if I flew - I could take a freight train... rent my own freight car or something. I must have been crazy out of my head getting so many machines last week. It was all or nothing though. I can see why the guy never got them sold - he had real high prices on them and they all need some kind of work.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Miriam,

When is Ray's class?
Please keep us posted on the class if you have internet. I'm sure your stories will be as entertaining as they always are. Again, give Ray a big hug from me and sneak in one for yourself.

Cathy
I hope I get internet somewhere.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Muv

Glenn - We have twins! War babies at that, mine is from 1940. It is at post 181 here http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t130994-5.html I was always confused as to whether it was a 128K or 28K - it has the high bobbin winder like a 128K, but has the thumb tab on the tension discs like a 28K. When I looked up the serial number I found it listed as a 28K.

Jon - thanks for the tip about JB Weld. It's a bit pricey. I might have to smash a few things to create more repairs to justify the expense. It is only a tiny area to rejoin. My husband muttered something about having some metal glue in the shed (possibly) but it's blowing a gale today, so perhaps he'll have a rummage tomorrow if the shed is still there.

Sharon - Get well soon!
Old 04-29-2012, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Glenn - We have twins! War babies at that, mine is from 1940. It is at post 181 here http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t130994-5.html I was always confused as to whether it was a 128K or 28K - it has the high bobbin winder like a 128K, but has the thumb tab on the tension discs like a 28K. When I looked up the serial number I found it listed as a 28K.

Jon - thanks for the tip about JB Weld. It's a bit pricey. I might have to smash a few things to create more repairs to justify the expense. It is only a tiny area to rejoin. My husband muttered something about having some metal glue in the shed (possibly) but it's blowing a gale today, so perhaps he'll have a rummage tomorrow if the shed is still there.

Sharon - Get well soon!
Muv, thanks for the information on the 28/128. Cathy told me one time that there is more to determining whether a machine is a 28 or 128 than the position of the bobbin winder. Thank you for the reminder - letting us know that it is not as cut and dried as just the placement of the bobbin winder! That is interesting!

Nancy
Old 04-29-2012, 05:37 AM

That IS good information about the 28/128... the bobbin winder is my "at a glance go to" for seeing which it is....I know the bobbin "lift" button is also an indicator.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 AM

Ok which one of you guys are trying or already got this machine! I sent an e-mail as soon as I saw the listing and no response! I hate it when they don't put a phone number! I want that long bed 301!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/2984155452.html

Candace, did you get it already? I hope if I can't have it someone else here got it!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:00 AM

Hello...I'm new here...I live in the TX Panhandle, I'm a quilter and have just started "collecting" vintage machines.
I have a Singer 15-91 in her original desk, a Morse 6500 in his original plastic carrying case (I'd love to find his cams!!!), a Singer Merritt 2404 in her original desk, they all work wonderfully and a couple others that need a little work. A couple of the others are even in their original desks too!! I seem to like the machines from 60's and 70's...the colors are fantastic, the designs are a little more wild, and the chrome is fun too.
I started getting these machines because I tend to "murder" the new machines within a year of thier young lives, they're just not built like they used to be. I know they have a warranty, but there's not a repair shop close enough to take them to, and the cost to repair plastic is crazy! I love the thrill of the chase when I see these machines at garage sales. I live in a very rural area so I don't have all the other great places to find machines like others do. I might have to start repairing and selling these babies to support my quilting and machine buying habit lol.
I hope to hear from anyone else that has vintage machines, maybe someone has a Morse 6500 they could share cam pics with, I love that teal machine, he's my jean quilt workhorse =). Maybe I could learn some tips and tricks from the rest of the group with using vintage machines to quilt. Those pics are very inspiring!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Muv View Post

Time for you all to see what my bro in law found in a charity shop and waltzed round here for me today. It came in its own box (don't know if it is the original) and with the manual, so I can look at lots of interesting pictures of attachments that weren't with it. We have taken off the spool holder, which was already broken, but if someone has any tips for gluing a small piece of cast iron back together I would be very grateful to hear from you.
Muv, Very NICE machine!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks to my dear friend TX Jan I have a nice little HC with little work needed. She found it and I bougth it and she sent it to me. I was impressed with the packing her husband did. I am a happy camper today. 1939 Singer 28K HC with victorian decals in very good shape.
Glenn, That's a pretty machine!! Congrats!