Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-22-2011, 08:07 AM

I was reading on another list, and someone posted this address:

http://www.sewingshop.com/dateyourmachine.aspx

I went to the page, and found a listing of Singer model alpha, and could click to find the pages I used to access through the singer site. For those of you still trying to access the no-alpha numbers, they are there.

(I think Singer has not taken them off the site, just made them very inaccessible. But I did take the precaution of saving them to my computer...)

I heard that Singer was sold to another company - anyone know if this is true?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl
I posted this in the Main section, but this might be a better place to get an answer:
I recently purchased a Singer 328 that uses the 300 series cams. It does a beautiful straight stitch and zig-zag stitch, but I cannot get a good stitch using any of the other cams such as the arrow or domino patterns. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or have any advice????
Do you have the manual? http://sewingonline.co.uk/instructions/singer328k/

You don't give us enough info on what is wrong with the decorative stitches.

I have this model and I just had to play with different setting, stitch length. Also, make sure you set the stitch width selector (horizontal bar 0-4) to 0 before removing the cam.

So, you will just have to play with the machine until you get it to stitch the way you like it to.

That's about all I can tell you.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:30 AM

Mrs Boats,

I think your mystery adjustment thingie could be your pressure adjustment. Turn one way it decreases the pressure and turn the other it increases. I didn't see the knob, the pressure screw on top of your machine.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Sorry, don't think I can talk him into taking the money outta savings for this one! He's wondering where we're going to put the Davis! :lol:
You could put the Davis at my house. (bats eyelashes sweetly) :lol:
Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 AM

I just got needles from Bessie Stevens for my Minnesota model D (Davits model T). They are Boye #10. it works great now.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Charlee
Sorry, don't think I can talk him into taking the money outta savings for this one! He's wondering where we're going to put the Davis! :lol:
You could put the Davis at my house. (bats eyelashes sweetly) :lol:
I will certainly keep that in mind!!!!! ~turning head and covering the "Yeah, right!" with a fake sneeze~

;) :lol: :lol:
Old 09-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by lovelyl
I posted this in the Main section, but this might be a better place to get an answer:
I recently purchased a Singer 328 that uses the 300 series cams. It does a beautiful straight stitch and zig-zag stitch, but I cannot get a good stitch using any of the other cams such as the arrow or domino patterns. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or have any advice????
Do you have the manual? http://sewingonline.co.uk/instructions/singer328k/

You don't give us enough info on what is wrong with the decorative stitches.

I have this model and I just had to play with different setting, stitch length. Also, make sure you set the stitch width selector (horizontal bar 0-4) to 0 before removing the cam.

So, you will just have to play with the machine until you get it to stitch the way you like it to.

That's about all I can tell you.
Thank you so much for your help. I think it is the stitch length that I have to play with. Appreciate the link!
Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
I was reading on another list, and someone posted this address:

http://www.sewingshop.com/dateyourmachine.aspx

I went to the page, and found a listing of Singer model alpha, and could click to find the pages I used to access through the singer site. For those of you still trying to access the no-alpha numbers, they are there.

(I think Singer has not taken them off the site, just made them very inaccessible. But I did take the precaution of saving them to my computer...)

I heard that Singer was sold to another company - anyone know if this is true?
:thumbup: Thank you so much for this link!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
I found a nifty new machine that I'll be keeping as a backup-a Nelco Golden Stitch series, model number SZA-625f. (I posted about it over here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-154674-1.htm#4262295)

Where I'm stuck is a mystery hole in the back. I found a screw top in the mechanism that I think that hole goes to, but I have no idea what it does.

I'd really like a manual for this....
Mystery solved! Maybe... I took the Cavalier out to my osmg and took the Nelco along for the ride. You know how sometimes, even when the seam is straight, the stitches aren't? The end of the previous stitch doesn't quite match up with the beginning of the next one? He says he thinks this an adjustment for that.

I did find a manual for it; hopefully that'll be here next week, and I can get going!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Well, with my willing accomplice (DH), I picked up a Federal Sewing Machine this evening. Its a 15 clone of course. No time to play much - gotta get up at 5am. She looks ok - case is moldy and broken up. Maybe some TLC will get her fixed up. Someone used a lot of WD40 so that all has to come off before she freezes up. DH had to put her on the back porch because of the smell. I am very sensitive to chemicals. Someone took apart her bobbin shuttle so I am assuming there will be a few burrs. I am hoping it is warm enough to clean her up outside tomorrow. She is pretty ornate - a few scratches etc. She has set a LONG time in a shed or something. Her bobbin tire fell off when I touched it. I'll have to come up a name and some pics after I get her all dolled up.