Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1463 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 463 963 1363 1413 1453 1462 1463 1464 1473 1513 1563 ... LastLast
Results 36,551 to 36,575 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    I am heavy cleaning this machine. pp60
    I don’t see how to take both tension disks and stitch dial apart to clean. They are different than I have seen before.
    look at what I found, I was going to try to clean the dirty felt out of this drawer, while shaking it upside down over the trash can this piece of wood fell out. So you can see how it was done to hold the different attachments. They glued an extra piece of wood to the end to make it fit snug in the drawer.
    Does this give you ideas? I have also seen a piece of wood inset in a drawer with holes drilled in it to hole the bobbins upright. Another idea to make.
    But there is more, under this wood piece was 2 bills of sales. One in 1918 and resold I guess in 1949 by the first owner.
    I still have not found a serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    here is as a cute little gem, a child sized hand crank and a fantastic(?) price.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/clt/3125066790.html

and here is one machine that is a give away

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/zip/3124719337.html
    I have one of the little sewing machines and my mother made some of my baby cloths with it. It is priceless to me!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...5F1E81D66A.png
    Whatever I said in anger, Whatever I shouted in spite, I'm sorry I spoke so quickly--I thought of some worse ones tonight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    I am heavy cleaning this machine. pp60
    I don’t see how to take both tension disks and stitch dial apart to clean. They are different than I have seen before.
    look at what I found, I was going to try to clean the dirty felt out of this drawer, while shaking it upside down over the trash can this piece of wood fell out. So you can see how it was done to hold the different attachments. They glued an extra piece of wood to the end to make it fit snug in the drawer.
    Does this give you ideas? I have also seen a piece of wood inset in a drawer with holes drilled in it to hole the bobbins upright. Another idea to make.
    But there is more, under this wood piece was 2 bills of sales. One in 1918 and resold I guess in 1949 by the first owner.
    I still have not found a serial number.
    The serial number is going to be the 3731583 number that's on the certificate...and I'm not sure about these later models....on the pre-1900 machines it's on the slide plate.
    I'm betting that Jon will be along with answers to some of your other questions! Way cool to have the bills of sale!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    [QU
    I still have not found a serial number.[/QUOTE]

Way cool!

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, Charlee, duh! Another senior moment !

Blog Entries
    I'm so proud of my 403!!

The neighbor has a guest that has a husky mix pup that's nine months old. They were working out in the shop on Ash's car, had the doors open and the pup was on a leash secured to the door of the car. The doors were open and the pup got into the car and chewed BOTH seatbelts in two! The boys (they're men, really, 24 years old) brought me the belts and asked if I could fix them well enough to work until Ash could get them replaced. You know how thick seat belts are....I took them directly to the 403. Using the 3-stitch zigzag cam, I repeatedly stitched back and forth across them. Told the boys to take it and yank HARD on it before putting it back in the car.

Not only did the 403 stitch through that belting like a hot knife through butter, but the stitches held with no problem when the boys played a hard game of tug-o-war with them.

Try that with a modern machine!!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis nm View Post
    Oh yes, Charlee, duh! Another senior moment !
    Hey!! I thought I had the market on senior moments!!
    You still should find the serial somewhere on the machine...

Hi Phyllis,

Your serial number is on the front slide plate and will be a 7 digit number. Sure would be neat to see Bill of Sales. Set screw needs to be loosened to remove tension assembly and also one on stitch length but I've never had this knob off.

Jon

Edit: Just saw the warranty pictures. Extremely interesting!
    Last edited by jlhmnj; 07-07-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Phyllis, you did a great job with that drawer lining!!

I need to get brave enough to get the top out of my attachment drawer...I can hear stuff move in there, but it doesn't lift out...

Blog Entries
    I was banging my drawer over the trash can trying to get the dirt out, it came out on it’s own surprise. There was ¼ cup sand and dirt in it, it was bad. It was not glued in, just wedged in with the felt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Hey!! I thought I had the market on senior moments!!
    You still should find the serial somewhere on the machine...
    You thought you had a senior moment. I went to the mall to buy underwear on sale and could not remember where I parked. It took me 30 min to find my car. And I have a very big pick- up.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You thought you had a senior moment. I went to the mall to buy underwear on sale and could not remember where I parked. It took me 30 min to find my car. And I have a very big pick- up.
    I have to go from one store to another for my job - some days 10 stores - they start to all look alike after a while... It is really bad when I forget where I parked... I've gotten to liking where they number the isles - I just write it down...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    I thought the alarm on my keyfob was for finding the car!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    I thought the alarm on my keyfob was for finding the car!!
    I did too but sometimes it doesn't have enough range...

The Singer 750 with the infamous rubber coated feed dogs... yep I bought one !! and Didn't know it...

15 bucks, if nothing else, I get a foot pedal with the hanging bracket for the knee action pedal, cabinet ect ...

after getting home,, and finding fabric won't move, but only after it had been used awhile ( warmed up )

well after the fact , I remember reading about these dogs, bigger than ____ where the guy scrap off the rubber, to find these no teeth ....

it's sunday and 50 miles to town,, so out came the mini files,,, some card paper to make shims out of .. cause the rubber is now gone, and the dogs will not set high enough...

My first try worked, but the dogs feed off to the right and would not move fabric until that was all the way under the foot, you could not just push the fabric into the needle without raising the foot ..

2nd try I make one more shim to put under the dof mount, refiled the end of the dog so it would grad sooner ....

Turns out the Hillybilly fix'm up worked !!!!

I am shocked at how well this machine works... I have a whole new out look at these 70's wonder Boxes.

The last pic is of harbour frieght files,, get some there very cheap ( 3$). I use them to fix screwed up screws. you'll be happy you did,

photo's are not good, rubber coated dog

Dog installed,, maybe you can see the home fashioned teeth

the harbour frieght files,, mainly used to fix screw heads..

Blog Entries
    Notsureif, You should have gone shopping with Danof NJ today. He got the better deal! Check his post in the machine photo thread. Well, I call that machine you picked up a Touch and Throw. A neighbor gave me one for free after she could not get hers to work. She was trying to teach her daughter how to sew on it. It was total frustration for them and for me. I finally got the dang thing to work, but I really did almost toss the dang thing.

Now in my opinion, those Touch and Throws can get trashed or at least parts taken off to sell.

If you love to sew, don't use these machines.

I'm sure this one was a problem to who owned it. it was way to clean, I had problems adjusting the dails, until I read the book..

I see metal dogs new from $4 to $12, but these work and where free... I have been piecing blocks on this one all day , and no problem. I think they would be a good machine, but not for a beginner

as soon as it breaks , it will get tossed

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I have to go from one store to another for my job - some days 10 stores - they start to all look alike after a while... It is really bad when I forget where I parked... I've gotten to liking where they number the isles - I just write it down...
    I take a picture of where I'm parked with my cell phone camera- either the numbers or just something that shows a land mark. Laura

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    I take a picture of where I'm parked with my cell phone camera- either the numbers or just something that shows a land mark. Laura
    I really like that idea.

Trying to figure out if this might fit my featherweight?

Name:  tbl1.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  1.7 KBName:  tbl.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  34.0 KB
    “Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.” - Oscar Wilde

meaning Is this a featherweight table...

Blog Entries
    I don't think so Trish...have you got the measurements? Just because something wasn't made FOR your FW, doesn't mean that it won't work with it.

Charlee the only meawsurements are what was in the ad Height - 30"/ Length - 31" /Width - 18"

I am guessing that even if it didn't fit my featherweight... one of the others will fit!

Blog Entries
    Probably!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
    I think o it as a "visit" (ducking and running) but seriously, the garage sewing room is coming along nicely. Nice big bench to work on machines. I will have an open house when it's all together, I think....Laura

Awwww... too bad I am so far away. It sounds like fun!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/