Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose

Quiltgranny, I haven't needed new feet on my 301, but the bobbin winder tire was easy. Just pop it off. I just checked two sewn strips I did with my 1/4" foot. One is a 1/16" inch off with three seams and one is exact, so mine much be okay.
Thanks, job done! :thumbup: Didn't know it was that easy, lol.

Karla

ETA: My 1/4" foot (P60617) slant shank is also w/in 1/16th" on test strips, too. My foot has a little wiggle in it that I think might account for that. Does yours wiggle at all?

Thanks, :D
Old 04-06-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
I have a 301a that I recently received and need to change out the bottom rubber feet cushions and as well the bobbin winder tire, too. Any tutes or info available on how to do that?

I see there's a need for a straight screwdriver inside the rubber feet cushions, but mine aren't budging. Am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance,

Karla
I use a hammer to lightly tap the end of the screwdriver
and usually that helps. If not... Liquid Wrench is wonderful
stuff, spray it on the screws with the machine upside down and let it be for about 1/2 hour or so.
I had to use it on my friend's Featherweight's bed cushion screws. If your bed cushions look melted, sometimes you just need to dig them out with a screwdriver; make sure you get it all out or the new bed cushions won't sit right.
Sharon W.
Hi Sharon,

Thanks. To make sure I understand the process, are the screws supposed to come out before what's left of the rubber foot comes off? I'll go try the Liquid Wrench... and report back.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

Well this is what we found out sofar on the modern looking treadle. It is most likely a Singer 239 which is the same as the Singer 237 except it is does not have zig zag so straight stitch only. They did make a treadle version for both the 237 and 239 according to what DH found but I still wonder if this base is the original.

We did not go and look at it as I am not sure if I want it. The table is interesting to me as right now I have a converted 201 in my treadle base that came with my Red Eye. We can not fold the 201 down into it and I wonder if I could in this base. I like my 201 in treadle and it has a reverse too plus it sews so nice.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180682.bmp  
Old 04-07-2011, 03:35 AM

[quote=BoJangles][quote=cherrybsixty]Good evening everyone, this ole brown mouse is just sticking her head out that little mouse hole, to say HELLO everybody. But, I do have a question to ask? I've seen a few of the white FW's surfacing lately. And they are dated between 1963-64. So when were the celery colored FW made? Does anyone have any research on that?

Cherry, actually the "barely celery" and the white FW's according to Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable by Nancy Johnson-Srebro were made between 1964 and 1970. The beige ones were only made between 1960 and 1962. Some people who think they have a white FW, actually have the 'barely celery' because it is such a soft color that it looks white in certain lights.

Nancy
Thank you, Nancy, I should have known that you would have my answer. We can always count on you for the right answer. Little Willy's cabinet is gorgeous. Have a good day, thanks again.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
To the person asking about cams for the Dressmaker machine. There were some on e-bay a month or so ago so they are out there. You just have to keep an eye out.

Nancy
Thanks Nancy, I will keep looking for the cams.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Annaquilts, the treadle and the 60s machine that could be original. Last summer I picked vegetables at an Amish farm. The lady of the house took me inside to show me her daughter's new sewing machines. They were new treadles.
Irishrose, I knew that treadles are still being produced (special order I think) for the Amish people, but I did not know they were modern looking machines? That is really interesting, I would love to see those machines.

Annaquilts, when you saw the daughter's new machine, was it a modern plastic machine in the treadle? The straight leg treadle under that machine was the last treadle design that Singer made. I have one of those straight leg treadles that my 15-88 sits in. It is much lighter weight than the original iron treadles (I think they are made with aluminum or something lighter than iron) and mine is a 1939 treadle.

Is that treadle in Amish country?

Nancy
Old 04-07-2011, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

ETA: My 1/4" foot (P60617) slant shank is also w/in 1/16th" on test strips, too. My foot has a little wiggle in it that I think might account for that. Does yours wiggle at all?

Thanks, :D
Yeah, it wiggles. And the wiggle sets it right outside the 1/4" mark on my faceplate :cry: . I even tried bending the little metal piece but that doesn't seem to do any good. As soon as I put it back on the "bend" just makes it sit funny and it still wiggles around and sits outside the faceplate mark.

I CAN bump one finger against it while I sew and that holds it in place. Not ideal, but it'll work for now.

Mine is a generic foot that i bought from April30's (?). May have to invest in the alphasew foot, but they look 'almost' identical. I'm getting that screw in seam guide this week also, so it may prove to be what I want.

I discovered the foot I use on my Brother machine is really a blind hem foot! It has a spring/screw for me to move the guage left or right and I can set it precisely where I want it. I keep it at a scant 1/4" because apparantly thats what my Accuquilt Go blocks like. I have 2-3 different 1/4" with it and dislike something about all of them :roll: (it's just me I guess...lol)

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
Mine is a generic foot that i bought from April30's (?). May have to invest in the alphasew foot, but they look 'almost' identical. I'm getting that screw in seam guide this week also, so it may prove to be what I want.
Julie, I started out buying the generic 1/4" feet too, but soon discovered they seemed to all be 'off.' I accidentally found the Alphasew P60615 1/4" and switched all my machines to that foot. They are more expensive feet, but I have only had one that was off so far -- and, I have bought about 10 of them as I like every machine to have its own stuff. Plus if you are going from a class machine to a home machine, I found it helps to keep things accurate if you use the same 1/4" on both machines.

Nancy
Old 04-07-2011, 06:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
If a person wanted to do some hand painting on an old machine, what kind of paint would anybody suggest? And would a spray clear coat be a good enough protectant after the painting was done? TIA
I would use an enamel and a clear coat would be the perfect thing for it.

Billy
Old 04-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh I feel like a truck ran over me and if I walk to the sunroom from the bedroom I am hacking a lung. I cant hardly function like this and it is so pretty out today. That and I am up to my eyeballs in things that need to get boxed, shipped and serviced. I went to the post office today and dropped off a few things but it took everything out of me just doing that.

Oh boy what I would give to have this over with............

Billy
I am so sorry I wrote to you ! Haven't been on the computer for a few days and didn't know you were not well. Wouldn't have bothered you with this handcrank thing until later as it isn't anything urgent. Hope you can all kick this bug really soon, hate to see nice people getting hit with it. Hang in there. Loraine
Dont worry about that I will live to tell about it! :D Plus it keeps me from going stir crazy while I am in this bed.

Billy