Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
I got my 1/4" foot today for my Singer 301. The one with the little metal piece on it. Needless to say it is more than 1/4". Yikes, my block come up to small!

Have you had this problem and how did you fix it? Use a different foot? Which one?

I ordered the screw in seam guide today so that might prove more useful. This machine goes to fast for me to just use the plate guide...whhhirrrrrrrr
Jtapp99, the only 1/4" foot I will use is the Alphasew p60615. I found that foot to be the most accurate, but even that foot can be a little off. If the black quide is a little bent out, I get a pair of pliers and bent it in slightly.

Nancy
Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Anyone take a guess as to what this is? It is listed as a Singer Treadle but it looks like the treadle base from a Singer 201 but what about the head is that even a Singer? Is this an original set up? Should I be interested?
It appears to be a vintage table--steel-sided from the 40s or 50s--with a more modern machine. Probably set up so someone can use zigzag stitches on treadle. It's kind of hard to tell from the pics, but that's what it looks like.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by jtapp9
I got my 1/4" foot today for my Singer 301. The one with the little metal piece on it. Needless to say it is more than 1/4". Yikes, my block come up to small!

Have you had this problem and how did you fix it? Use a different foot? Which one?

I ordered the screw in seam guide today so that might prove more useful. This machine goes to fast for me to just use the plate guide...whhhirrrrrrrr
I got one of the 1/4" foot for my 201-2 and it was a perfect 1/4". My DD uses a magnet on her 301 to get a 1/4" seam. She ordered one from sewingpartsonline, but any magnet would work.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well you guys I want to post pictures again of my Wilcox and Gibbs now that my DH got the coffin top finished! DH also sandblasted the little machine (very lightly with very fine sand) table and look at the difference. Now we can read everything on that little table including the date of 1883!
Your refinish turned out beautiful. I have that machine on my wish list.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM

[quote=cherrybsixty]Good evening everyone, this ole brown mouse is just sticking her head out that little mouse hole, to say HELLO everybody. But, I do have a question to ask? I've seen a few of the white FW's surfacing lately. And they are dated between 1963-64. So when were the celery colored FW made? Does anyone have any research on that?
[quote]

Cherry, actually the "barely celery" and the white FW's according to Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable by Nancy Johnson-Srebro were made between 1964 and 1970. The beige ones were only made between 1960 and 1962. Some people who think they have a white FW, actually have the 'barely celery' because it is such a soft color that it looks white in certain lights.

Nancy
Old 04-06-2011, 05:23 PM

To the person asking about cams for the Dressmaker machine. There were some on e-bay a month or so ago so they are out there. You just have to keep an eye out.

Nancy
Old 04-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Anyone take a guess as to what this is? It is listed as a Singer Treadle but it looks like the treadle base from a Singer 201 but what about the head is that even a Singer? Is this an original set up? Should I be interested?
Anna, that is not original. Someone did what Sharon has done and put a more modern machine in a treadle cabinet. You can see the treadle belt in the picture. I think, it is pretty cool, probably has a zig zag and already set up as a treadle!

Nancy
Old 04-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Bojangles, that cabinet is beautiful. The burled inserts are so lovely. Your husband did a great job.

Annaquilts, the treadle and the 60s machine that could be original. Last summer I picked vegetables at an Amish farm. The lady of the house took me inside to show me her daughter's new sewing machines. They were new treadles.

Quiltgranny, I haven't needed new feet on my 301, but the bobbin winder tire was easy. Just pop it off. I just checked two sewn strips I did with my 1/4" foot. One is a 1/16" inch off with three seams and one is exact, so mine much be okay.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Thet thar looks an awful lot like a Singer 237, part of who's plastics have yellowed. It must have been converted to a treadle, I would think. Plastic=treadle? Don't think so... but I could be wrong. It's been known to happen.

I just edited out my paragraph about the skipping st problem. I got mixed up and it was the 327, not the 237 that had that problem. Hope I got to this before anyone saw it! My bad... :oops:
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM

Bojangles;
Beautiful machine and cabinet. DH and you did a super job - so much nicer than that almost black it was when y'all started.