Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Jan, I found this doing a quick search: http://www.oocities.org/heartland/pl.../florence.html
Very interesting. Thanks. Looks like she was made before 1916 then.

Texas Jan
I looked through all the pages of the attached site and found the serial numbers for the AG Mason machines. Mine was made in 1915. Here is the link
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...59341521WaToNl
Old 09-10-2011, 03:15 PM

A semi local dealer was at our quilt show today. 20 some FWs in two rows looked so cute - black ones, white ones, a tan one, a 222 and three tables. Also a black 301 and several tan ones. I thought they were pricy at $175. The one I could have brought home if I were in need of another machine was the electric 201 at $200. That machine looks like it wants to sew and NOW! He also had tiny chain stitchers - one a very old Singer. Others were hanging around the quilts and fabric vendors. When I wasn't working, I was visiting the machines.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Jan, I found this doing a quick search: http://www.oocities.org/heartland/pl.../florence.html
Very interesting. Thanks. Looks like she was made before 1916 then.

Texas Jan
I looked through all the pages of the attached site and found the serial numbers for the AG Mason machines. Mine was made in 1915. Here is the link
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...59341521WaToNl
Thanks for the link, I have a new appreciation of my AG Mason machine. I should have realized it was made by White when I saw the "FR" as the first two letters of the serial number. I never did pay much attention to that machine.
Thanks Again
Jon
Old 09-10-2011, 03:30 PM

I missed the Toga today. :cry: A childhood friend died and I went to his services today. I did not get home until 3 and there was a grassfire somewhere so my Asthma was acting up and I have to stay in the house until the air clears. Kathie
Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I missed the Toga today. :cry: A childhood friend died and I went to his services today. I did not get home until 3 and there was a grassfire somewhere so my Asthma was acting up and I have to stay in the house until the air clears. Kathie
So sorry to hear that about your friend and asthma and missing the TOGA. I know you were looking forward to it. ~ Chris
Old 09-10-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
A semi local dealer was at our quilt show today. 20 some FWs in two rows looked so cute - black ones, white ones, a tan one, a 222 and three tables. Also a black 301 and several tan ones. I thought they were pricy at $175. The one I could have brought home if I were in need of another machine was the electric 201 at $200. That machine looks like it wants to sew and NOW! He also had tiny chain stitchers - one a very old Singer. Others were hanging around the quilts and fabric vendors. When I wasn't working, I was visiting the machines.
Is this event held every year? I would love to attend! I live in the UP so it wouldn't be hard to get there!!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

I bought a Singer 404 in a cabinet with a stool. It was cheap. I mostly wanted the stool. But I took pity on the poor machine. It was covered in rust and pretty much locked up. HHMMM will it be another parts machine or can I do some transplants? I gave it a good cleaning. Most of the rust seemed to be in the tension and a thread guide. I am blessed with some 404 parts machines so I swapped out the tension. Lucky me I didn't have a manual in my shop so I tried to do it from memory. Well, it took a while - the little end kept flying off - sink it down and then boing - the spring sent it off to the other side of the room. Finally I saw the light and LOOKED at another machine... DUH... I had a part on there backwards. It's been a while... OH well, the tension worked right the first time. shock. Then I found there is rust on a thread guide so I worked on that little spot with some aluminum foil. I did all that to keep from breaking the thread. Then I figured out it wasn't what was breaking the thread. Oh well, it needed polishing. It was the thread hooking on the spool then wrapping around the spindle. I had to get a new wire for the foot control. I also put on a new power cord. It runs like crazy now. The bobbin tire was missing and it needed spindles. I also put new felt on the spindles. Then the machine came with no accessories so I've been rounding up a few to put with it. The table's finish is in terrible shape. A bit of paint might be an improvement - I don't usually like to paint. It is a nice one with two drawers outside the legs. It has a rusty old knee control. I love those.... I left the stool at home - it matches one of my tables. I like a stool for sewing. They seem to set a bit higher or something. I don't seem to lean back into the seat back anyway. These are a great little machine for learning on and they are a work horse too. I put a walking foot on it and it went right through a few layers of jeans. I think I want to play with it some more some time.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:33 PM

Jan - That's a beauty!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Is this event held every year? I would love to attend! I live in the UP so it wouldn't be hard to get there!![/quote]

I was told that there will be a mini one in the spring. I am hoping that I can go to that. I will ask Cathy Nelson tomorrow when I talk to her. Kathie
Old 09-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a Singer 301a. It's on Craig's List and its free. All I know is that its in a cabinet. I'll update everyone when I get it home.
Sharon W.