Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Can anyone identify these machines for me? Thanks!
http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/art/2590326149.html
Looks like the one on the left might be Japanese and the one on the right might be Kenmore or Montgomery Ward probably made in Japan too - some were Italian. Who knows if they are any good. If they have set for a long time there could be rotted belts and dried up oil. Motor probably could use some clean up. Some of those old Kenmore's are pretty cool with all the disks. I had an Elgin once that was about like one of those - it was all metal and pretty nice - I gave it to a friend who wanted to treadle it.

Did your friend treadle with it? Wonder how that treadles compared to the Singer 328. :)
Old 09-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Can anyone tell me about a singer sewing machine G3957244. I cannot get it to make a stitch, does it take a special needle? I think it is a 28.
According to Singer serial # list, it's a 127 manufacured/allotted on March 9, 1915. HTH. ~ Chris
Double Ooops! You are correct! I'm getting careless in my old age.
Jon
Old 09-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj
Can anyone tell me about a singer sewing machine G3957244. I cannot get it to make a stitch, does it take a special needle? I think it is a 28.
According to Singer serial # list, it's a 127 manufacured/allotted on March 9, 1915. HTH. ~ Chris
Double Ooops! You are correct! I'm getting careless in my old age.Jon
I apologize I can't help with any other info like the needles and getting it to stitch but there are free downloads of the manuals on the the Internet.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 PM

while storm "Irene" I had trouble getting pics -now OK but ,I had wanted to send a few out also.
Worked to pay for a White Rotary -black gozilla finish I think it is called --a leather like flat color finish. Can not find info --light sits in front of machine and has front mounting feet.
serial @ C 43-196961 any help or info is greatly appreciated. Have to work at quilt show in morning so will send photo in few days,
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Simple. Remove motor and light, buy and make belt, cleanup and lube machine and you'd be ready. Will need slide plate if it's missing.
Good Luck
Jon
I wondered if it would be that simple. Thanks
Annie I just did it with a 1909 66-1 that had a modern (1940's I think) motor put on it. We did a motor-ectomy, put it in the treadle base, threaded the belt around the handwheel and she was in business. Took less than 20 minutes!!
Thanks to all for the encouragement. This motor is simply bolted onto the end of the machine, so it may take only 5 minutes. (4 1/2 to find the wide bladed screw driver!)

Oh, but I won't have a belt. See trip to town coming up!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by deplaylady
I stopped into my favorite little recycled craft shop and got 8 bobbins for my White FR for 50 cents and this cool tool for $2.50. Can't wait to use it now that I got some directions!
Tell me about your tool. I have never seen anything like it. Kathie
I've never used it, but a couple people on here have. I knew what it was when I saw it and can't wait to try it. It can be used for lots of techniques (so I've read) - basically you wrap yarn around it and use it to it to sew it onto the material to make rugs and other decorative things. I even saw directions to make a tufted bedspread.
I added a couple pictures I found - maybe someone here who's made something already can explain it better.

I found a tutorial that goes with the second picture:
http://hautegoatcashmere.com/Singerc...r_Tutorial.pdf
NOW YOU'VE STARTED SOMETHING!

Tempting!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the info on the fringemaker. I will have to experiment. One of these came with my treadle. But first I need to clean the machine...
Old 09-10-2011, 06:16 AM

Can anyone tell me about a singer sewing machine G3957244.
I cannot get it to make a stitch, does it take a special needle?
I think it is a 28.
Hi, it's a 66 or 99 depending on length of bed. 14-5/8" is a 66 full size. Best bet is to download a free Singer Manual http://www.cuttersexchange.com/IPinstManuals/. This will give much useful info and your machine probably just needs a good cleaning and lubing to work. The needles are standard 15x1.
Good Luck
Jon
Thanks for your help.
Ooops! I looked at your picture. You are correct it is a 28.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 AM

Thanks so much Chris
Old 09-10-2011, 06:23 AM

Can anyone tell me about a singer sewing machine G3957244.
I cannot get it to make a stitch, does it take a special needle?
I think it is a 28.
Hi, it's a 66 or 99 depending on length of bed. 14-5/8" is a 66 full size. Best bet is to download a free Singer Manual http://www.cuttersexchange.com/IPinstManuals/. This will give much useful info and your machine probably just needs a good cleaning and lubing to work. The needles are standard 15x1.
Good Luck
Jon
Thanks for your help.
Ooops! I looked at your picture. You are correct it is a 28.
Hi BZ,
Sorry about the mis-informatin but the links are good for your manual. The 127 is a bigger version of the 28 or 128 and takes a 15x1 needle. You might want to verify, though. :)