Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-28-2011, 04:39 AM

Just picked up the two spiols in Traverse City. It is BEAUTIFUL!! Canister, full set attachments, AND instruction manual. Very clean, cabinwt is in Great shape YOOHOO!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I found this interesting link.

I found a fascinating 1922 book online that you can download. About a third of the book is on attachments. The book is Sewing Machines by Rosamond Cook, a professor at Iowa State. Here is the link:
http://www.archive.org/stream/cu3192...ge/n3/mode/2up

Note: The "full text" format doesn't include the drawings & photos, which are the heart of the book.

Phyllis nm
Thank you for this link - simple, interesting and informative. A must-read for everyone IMHO.
I was just looking at that - it's fascinating! It described the shuttle, bobbin and two spools and how to load them - it was really neat seeing how the two spools worked.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Thank you, I made that quilt for my little Lola. She was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and I made her a quilt just for her to snuggle in. When it came time to put her to sleep made sure I buried her in it so she would always have me hugging her and would not feel alone. But she really loved it and I would take it to our bedroom and she would lay on it all snuggled up with just her little head poked out.

Billy
Billy have you gotten another Chihuahua? I bet having a new puppy around would make you feel better!!! I lost two Chihuahua's in the last three months. I am now looking for a new Chihuahua -- they are just so good for the heart!

Nancy
Old 08-28-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Just picked up the two spiols in Traverse City. It is BEAUTIFUL!! Canister, full set attachments, AND instruction manual. Very clean, cabinwt is in Great shape YOOHOO!
Buslady, do post pictures when you can! I love both of my Two Spools! It it a National Two Spools or an Eldredge Two Spools? Monica and I have one of each!

Nancy
Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Today, I broke out fresh all over where I thought I was just about healed. - I should be over it by now.... this started the first part of July. At least is isn't as severe as the last time. We did figure out it is NOT poison ivy - it is either sumac or Virginia Creeper - those rash out much worse than PI. The VC can last up to 8 weeks and the medicine doesn't work BUT I already knew that... My best friend says I need to work with oregano oil, probiotics/green stuff and grape leaf to get my system to fight it. I've been back at work - got all the extra work done in spite of the rash and broken toe. I've needed to get in my shop but haven't felt very energetic for a while. Maybe I'm habitually lazy. My garden is in ruins... We had 3 tomatoes, one cucumber, one weird volunteer zucchini and one batch of green beans this year. I have had to stay out of the sun too. DH set up a work bench for me, lots of shelves and I found a drawer unit for my small parts. I just have to get in there, sort things, figure out what I have. Then I have some machines to finish working on. I would like to get DH to do a motor tune up tutorial if we can squeeze in the time. Who knows maybe somebody already has a motor tutorial and we just have to Google find it. If you look at my blog we are supposedly fixing up a house. We have had some other detours along the way. The weekend before last we got ready to take some of the junk that was in that house to the recycle place and discovered that our truck windshield had been bashed in. It took time but since someone already bashed in the driver door, we just replaced the truck - it was time anyway. We also witnessed a shoot out when we picked up the replacement truck. Life around here sure is an adventure. Nothing to lose by trying the JB - let everybody know if it works.
Miriam, I think you need to move! Geeze, your life makes my life look like a piece of cake!

Nancy
Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
This White machine that William brought home to me today is older than I thought... seems to have been made in 1919 from what I can find on the web...I'll call White on Monday to be sure.

Poor old thing...at first I thought I didn't want her, but the more I look at her, the more I think she needs to stay!
Okay Charlee, let me get this right. William randomly brought you a treasure home today? You are one lucky woman :-)
Old 08-28-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I found this interesting link.

I found a fascinating 1922 book online that you can download. About a third of the book is on attachments. The book is Sewing Machines by Rosamond Cook, a professor at Iowa State. Here is the link:
http://www.archive.org/stream/cu3192...ge/n3/mode/2up

Note: The "full text" format doesn't include the drawings & photos, which are the heart of the book.

Phyllis nm
Wow! Thanks for that link Phyllis :thumbup:

Uh oh, it would appear that Rosamond is also an enabler. She states that within ones sewing laboratory they should have "as many makes of machines as possible"..... :shock:

p.s. that first photo sure looks like a red eye ;)
Old 08-28-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by miriam
Today, I broke out fresh all over where I thought I was just about healed. - I should be over it by now.... this started the first part of July. At least is isn't as severe as the last time. We did figure out it is NOT poison ivy - it is either sumac or Virginia Creeper - those rash out much worse than PI. The VC can last up to 8 weeks and the medicine doesn't work BUT I already knew that... My best friend says I need to work with oregano oil, probiotics/green stuff and grape leaf to get my system to fight it. I've been back at work - got all the extra work done in spite of the rash and broken toe. I've needed to get in my shop but haven't felt very energetic for a while. Maybe I'm habitually lazy. My garden is in ruins... We had 3 tomatoes, one cucumber, one weird volunteer zucchini and one batch of green beans this year. I have had to stay out of the sun too. DH set up a work bench for me, lots of shelves and I found a drawer unit for my small parts. I just have to get in there, sort things, figure out what I have. Then I have some machines to finish working on. I would like to get DH to do a motor tune up tutorial if we can squeeze in the time. Who knows maybe somebody already has a motor tutorial and we just have to Google find it. If you look at my blog we are supposedly fixing up a house. We have had some other detours along the way. The weekend before last we got ready to take some of the junk that was in that house to the recycle place and discovered that our truck windshield had been bashed in. It took time but since someone already bashed in the driver door, we just replaced the truck - it was time anyway. We also witnessed a shoot out when we picked up the replacement truck. Life around here sure is an adventure. Nothing to lose by trying the JB - let everybody know if it works.
Miriam, I think you need to move! Geeze, your life makes my life look like a piece of cake!

Nancy
Yeah we know we need to move. We are working on a house. See blog below. It's where the PI and it's accomplices are. Last night I dreamed I broke out again. I woke up and sure enough - it wasn't a dream... We love the yard otherwise.... About one acre is pretty tame the 1/2 acre needs major weed control. I did figure out the weed we were wondering what it was is a butterfly bush. I am now wondering if we can separate it a bit. It is huge and out of control as well and who know what is lurking below other than day lilies, 'naked ladies' and an azalea bush. The house in the blog is coming real slow. I haven't done anything on it since the mystery rash. DH now has to do paying work and we do need the $$$$$$ after 6 months of no pay work. Yeah some of you live the dream - I do too - mine just keeps me awake itching or what ever.... It is always good to count the blessings.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Miriam,

You are a real trooper. You are living your dream and so are the PI and its accomplices. ;)

Hang in there...
Old 08-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by justtrish
Miriam,

You are a real trooper. You are living your dream and so are the PI and its accomplices. ;)

Hang in there...
Some dreams ARE nightmares aren't they?
We are hoping to be debt free and have an income out of it in the end.