Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-11-2011, 11:47 AM

I had a nice surprise today - my shopgoodwill package arrived a day early so I have a new green machine! Singer 185J, JD777980 - 1954(date found after relocating the Singer serial numbers!) I had to put a new belt on it, but I had it ready because I knew it was missing it. It runs really nice!

1954 Singer 185J
[ATTACH=CONFIG]240144[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-240138.jpe  
Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I had a nice surprise today - my shopgoodwill package arrived a day early so I have a new green machine! Singer 185J, JD777980 - 1954(date found after relocating the Singer serial numbers!) I had to put a new belt on it, but I had it ready because I knew it was missing it. It runs really nice!
Looks like it survived shipping and the base seems good as well. Congrats!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Looks like it survived shipping and the base seems good as well. Congrats!
Yes - I was really worried about that! On the inside of the cover (not that shows ) some stuff chipped off, but that doesn't effect anything.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 PM

If it's the old green Super, it probably needs a new motor pulley. I put one in, and will never do it again; but I watched someone else do it, and she was done in a (relative) flash. Go figure.
Originally Posted by buslady
Good Day fellow collectors! I had my Elna Supermatic out over the weekend and tried to clean her up so I could sew with it. It seems quite loud. The internal parts are run by a belt that reminds me of the track off a snowmobile. We thought that might be where the noise was coming from. Anyone here have an Elna Supermatic that does or does not sound loud and "tappy". Also, as I got trying to get it to sew, I noticed the bobbin, I believe it's what we call the "hook race" was not moving to pick up the bobbin thread. I cannot figure out how to get that part apart to see what is going on there. A pc of what looked like plastic gear was in the bottom of the machine and I am thinking that is the problem. Any suggestions, or should I take it to a repair shop, or just trash it? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have been away from the cafe for a few days. Does anyone know what has happened to the wonderful Singer site where you could look up most vintage machines by their serial number to find what they are and when they were commissioned to be built? That same site all looks different now and I couldn't find the usual info I had been so used to locating. Thanks.
Singer changed the site. It was discussed on the Singer Yahoo group but I don't have the new link yet. :(
I have links to them on my user pages - I was really surprised this morning to find them moved! When I found them I copied the links I saved them so I wouldn't loose them again. Here they are:

Singer Machine Serial Numbers

no letter prefix:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...umbersNoLetter

single letter prefix:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...rsSingleLetter

double letter prefix:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...rsDoubleLetter
THANK YOU. Now I have them in 'My Pages' also! :-D

Love your new green machine! :thumbup:
Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM

I would never pay more than $25 or $30 for a Spartan without attachments. They're far too common to fret over. Another one will come along in a month or two!!

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I went to see the Spartan today. The machine was in great shape. She had no attatchments for it nor the manuel. It just sewed straight and ziz zag. The machine was noisy but I think some oil would take care of that. There was some veneer missing and it looked like some fingernail polish on it. She wanted $90 for it and would not come down. I offered $45
and she said that she would not come down. She was a wheeler and dealer. I left my name and phone number and told her if she could not sell it to give me a call. I do not think that I will hear from her. Kathie
Old 08-11-2011, 01:18 PM

I have links to them on my user pages - I was really surprised this morning to find them moved! When I found them I copied the links I saved them so I wouldn't loose them again. Here they are:

Singer Machine Serial Numbers

no letter prefix:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...umbersNoLetter

single letter prefix:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...rsSingleLetter

double letter prefix:
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...rsDoubleLetter
Thanks for the links!
I had made an excel file of them a few weeks ago.
Now that I know they've moved the pages to some far off location, I've saved the pages as .html files in my sewing machine info file!
I won't have to hunt them again!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 PM

Question for anyone familiar with the Singer 285 machine.

I'm a fan of the 185 - I have two of them!
While visiting my in-laws in Indiana these past 2 weeks, I found one of these in a thrift shop for $12. :)
Of course I had to have it! The green machines just call out to me for some reason.
I left it with DMIL as we flew up there and didn't have space to bring it back this trip.

I know it will need a belt as the current one has hardened.
Other than the belt, I think it just needs a good cleaning and oiling.
I'll bring it back home in December when we make the 18 hour drive. :(

I've read a few reviews, one in particular truly hated this machine as it was a total re-design of the mechanism under the bed.

Would anyone please share their experience with this machine?
Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by buslady
Good Day fellow collectors! I had my Elna Supermatic out over the weekend and tried to clean her up so I could sew with it. It seems quite loud. The internal parts are run by a belt that reminds me of the track off a snowmobile. We thought that might be where the noise was coming from. Anyone here have an Elna Supermatic that does or does not sound loud and "tappy". Also, as I got trying to get it to sew, I noticed the bobbin, I believe it's what we call the "hook race" was not moving to pick up the bobbin thread. I cannot figure out how to get that part apart to see what is going on there. A pc of what looked like plastic gear was in the bottom of the machine and I am thinking that is the problem. Any suggestions, or should I take it to a repair shop, or just trash it? Thanks for the help.
That little gear is what goes bad on those old Elna's - Yes it is worth taking to a shop to repair. Then when you get her back and sew on her - keep her bobbin area VERY clean - that broken gear was CAUSED by lint catching in there - vacuum clean at EVERY bobbin change and you won't have to replace that gear again. They are naturally a bit noisy. If you can, find a repair man that specialized in those old Elna's.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:31 PM

My husband pick me up a Singer Spartan 192k sewing machine at a garage sale for $10.00 today.I've been all over on the computer,Trying to find a manual for it and find out the age.Can you help me in any way.
Thank you for your time.
Elaine Sewer65