Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Mine was a washed out blue. And butt ugly.
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by jljack
We made Gym bags (remember when we had to wear shorts & shirts for gym class?), skirts, and something else, but I don't remember what it was.
We had to wear one-piece gym suits. The top and the shorts were connected. UG---LEEE!!!!!
were they turquoise??? ;)
Old 08-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Yep, don't ya love it? Sold one in perfect working order, lady just "couldn't get it to make a good stitch". I looked it over, put the needle in the right direction, adjusted the tensions, and BEFORE I COULD WALK AWAY she was already screwing up the tension.
Originally Posted by tomilu
Had a time getting a FW I had sold working properly. The lady said it just starting popping top thread. Then she said she had "messed with" the tensions. After some frustration I found the gib screw was loose enough so it caused the thread to catch when sewing fast. I'ved never had that particular screw loosen voluntarily; perhaps she "messed with" that as well. And got the tension back right; she had tinkered with both top and bobbin tension and it was some kind of a mess. Glad that is behind me.
Now to veg out the rest of the day.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 PM

I refuse to describe the swimming suits they made us wear for swimming class.
Ooooooo--you must have gone to one of those uptown schools with a swimming pool!! Either that, or the cafeteria regularly flooded. . . . .
Old 08-09-2011, 04:11 PM

I haven't made any new tents in a while and I only wish I had other pics of tents I made.

Here are some pics of two almost identical tents. I made one for my DS and loved the tent then my best friend saw it and loved it so I made her one like it - her's is taller - our camp is a bit of a mess.
Now that's a project!!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:13 PM

mine was dark blue. hated it
Old 08-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I refuse to describe the swimming suits they made us wear for swimming class.
Ooooooo--you must have gone to one of those uptown schools with a swimming pool!! Either that, or the cafeteria regularly flooded. . . . .
LOL!!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 PM

jljack and Quiltncowgirl - just love that machine and treadle base you posted in the VSMS picture thread! Both are beautiful! You'll both have to post again with the machines put in their new bases.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-18.htm#3908541
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM

http://www.sewshop.com/Singer_Indust...4189-2182.html

http://www.sewingshop.com/singerindu...dles-20x1.aspx

I haven't personally bought from either of these sites, but these are the ones that pop up on a brief search. I would search until I got the best price. (And of course, post it to all your friends!)

Also, according to the ISMACS needle info, it's often possible to get a 15 x 1 to work in a machine originally designed for 20 x 1 just by cheating the needle down a bit.

I've also noticed that there are places "out there" to buy the 206 x 13 needles by the hundred. I was under the impression they were being phased out?

[quote=Charlee]
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by CharleeIsn't this bunch the greatest? I just bought some 20x1 needles on ebay for Mamie (New Florence)...they aren't cheap, but I *really* want to USE this machine![/quote

Did you get more than you need? I have been looking and looking for some for my Minnesota and have not been able to find them. I only have one needle and am so afraid of breaking it. If you do have a couple extra I would love to buy them.

Thanks
Bev
Bev, I was only able to get six needles, BUT!! I am going to go see the local SM "repair" guy (in quotes because his talents are questionable!!) and if I'm not mistaken, he's got a box or two in the back room...if he does, do you want me to get you some?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Yes--probably at your local JoAnn's or Hancock's.
Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
Does anyone know if the rubber washer for bobbin winding on the 15-91 is still available? The one on the machine is shot, and appears to be the original. It is crumbly on the outer edge so I can't get a start on winding the bobbin. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:26 PM

[quote=Miz Johnny]http://www.sewshop.com/Singer_Indust...4189-2182.html

http://www.sewingshop.com/singerindu...dles-20x1.aspx

I haven't personally bought from either of these sites, but these are the ones that pop up on a brief search. I would search until I got the best price. (And of course, post it to all your friends!)

Also, according to the ISMACS needle info, it's often possible to get a 15 x 1 to work in a machine originally designed for 20 x 1 just by cheating the needle down a bit.

I've also noticed that there are places "out there" to buy the 206 x 13 needles by the hundred. I was under the impression they were being phased out?

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by CharleeIsn't this bunch the greatest? I just bought some 20x1 needles on ebay for Mamie (New Florence)...they aren't cheap, but I *really* want to USE this machine![/quote

Did you get more than you need? I have been looking and looking for some for my Minnesota and have not been able to find them. I only have one needle and am so afraid of breaking it. If you do have a couple extra I would love to buy them.

Thanks
Bev
Bev, I was only able to get six needles, BUT!! I am going to go see the local SM "repair" guy (in quotes because his talents are questionable!!) and if I'm not mistaken, he's got a box or two in the back room...if he does, do you want me to get you some?
allbrand.com sells 206X13 100 for about $49. Pam at the Toga gave me this info.