Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM

Justtrish and bloomin'Iris,
I think you two have gotten the deal of the day. Good finds.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Here is my new 221k-May 16, 1951
I'm :mrgreen: . I was hoping to find a 1951 FW, as my black 301 is a 1951, and that's my birth year. Mine is a 1957.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I'm :mrgreen: . I was hoping to find a 1951 FW, as my black 301 is a 1951, and that's my birth year. Mine is a 1957.
My DH and DS lucked out last year and bought a FW off e-bay just because it was a 1946 which is my birth year. When we received the machine and looked up the serial number it was dated Sept. 16th 1946 my birthday. :mrgreen: Now you know how old I am. :roll:
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM

that is so cool :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
My DH and DS lucked out last year and bought a FW off e-bay just because it was a 1946 which is my birth year. When we received the machine and looked up the serial number it was dated Sept. 16th 1946 my birthday. :mrgreen: Now you know how old I am. :roll:
Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam

I wore out a perfectly good Pfaff industrial - yeah it WILL sew through the layers but I bent the needle shaft. If you can buy a $25 Japanese machine or two just keep parts around... I guess it depends on how much weight you are putting through at the same time you put the layers/bulk through the machine. I also learned to use ramps and let gravity help feed the machine. After the Pfaff died, I got an old Singer walking foot - that is what you want to sew on... At one point I had to do a 40X100 ft awning in my little space. I did it by using a ramp and a rolling cart and dropping it in folds on the floor in front of the machine. Everything was rolled up to get it into the space.

My toughest job was reproducing 2 WWII officer's tents with two awnings over the tents and one awning between the tents. I was allowed to research at the museum at Ft Knox, mircrofilm the pattern/blueprint. I did it according to plan. When it was set up two old vets paid me a very high compliment. They said they didn't think any of those were still around!!! I wish the guy that had me do them would have sent a picture of it for me to see the set up. It was set up at Ft Knox for an event. At that time I was using an old WWII Singer walking foot machine. The olive drab fabric was like sewing on a crayon. I had to keep cleaning the thing. I could have made lot of money doing those tents... It about killed me to do that project though. The chemicals were horrid on my system. Would you also believe there were absolutely NO SCRAPS when I was done.

If you don't have a ton to do just look around for an old 15 clone... Those are pretty tough and they are cheap.
Miriam, the stuff you do just amazes me!! :shock: :shock: Do you have pictures of those tents? My DH's cousin does Civil War reenactments, and maybe he and I could tackle making him a new tent. That would be sew cool!!! I'm thinking my 66-1 in treadle would be a great choice to sew it up. What do you think?
how big???
Old 08-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I haven't made any new tents in a while and I only wish I had other pics of tents I made.

Here are some pics of two almost identical tents. I made one for my DS and loved the tent then my best friend saw it and loved it so I made her one like it - her's is taller - our camp is a bit of a mess.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239098.jpe   attachment-239101.jpe  
Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 PM

My new to me 15-75. Needs some TLC, but has lots of attachments, white plastic case. Manual included is for a FW.
This is a look-alike pic, not mine. This was a good buy at $25 and less than 2miles from the house.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239099.jpe  
Old 08-09-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste
Billy, we're rooting for a "quick fix" for you!

(Stupid Copperhead!) :thumbdown:
I think we need to Praise God for the copperhead. If he hadn't been bitten and had to go to the doc/hospital, etc. he could have gone a long time without knowing about his cancer and it may not have been so curable.
So while the bite was unexpected, not wanted/needed, painful, etc, etc, it was a Godsend to Billy. PRaying for a complete recovery.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:19 PM

I just posted pics of my two machines I have re-furbished to the photo shop. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I just love looking at everyones prizes.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Miriam just remember all the machine I have are missing the motors except my industrial W&G. That is the first thing that happens to them when they come home.......bye bye motor :lol:

Billy
Hey everyone will be glad to know that we gave my 1909 66-1 Lotus a motorectomy last night. DH wasn't sure I hadn't lost my mind, until I thoroughly explained to him how easy it is to do it and that I want to put the 66 into the treadle base I got this weekend. So he did it...and he was very happy with the result. He appreciates fine wood, and was tinkering around to find the best way to get the 66 into the cabinet with the least amount of carving the hole in the top. He figured it out last night, and I think he'll be doing it today. He's very clever!! :-)

The base I got was from 1891, and is Honduran mahogany. The machine/cabinet had the original receipt still in it..Nov 1891, $70. We (Quiltncowgirl & I) bought it from the family who owned it from the first day...pretty cool. It had a fiddle base roses & cornflower decals head on it; don't know the model. Quiltncowgirl took the head, I took the base. I know, I know!! I am dealing with a little guilt over splitting it up...and so is Quiltncowgirl. But we both wanted nice pieces, and this is what we found. At least we know we can put it back together at some time if either of us wants to do that.
Please post pictures in the photo shop!